SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Hello bulldog friends and owners

Today brosco had to go to vet as his right ear looked strange last night
He was given an antibiotic and we have to go back in 2 weeks
Was wondering if anyone's else ever had an ear infection come on so quickly in about 3 days ? IMG_0631.JPG he is resting now and hasn't had a decrease in appetite

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Was that an antibiotic ear drop or oral antibiotic? My dog had an ear infection when I adopted her and vet never told me to clean out her ear before I put her antibiotic/antifungal ear drops in. The vet's drops didnt work and I ended up using Zymox I bought myself after that. So make sure if it's an ear drop to clean out her ear before hand with a commercial product or something like 1/3 apple cider vinegar 2/3 witch hazel. If it's an oral antibiotic give her some probiotics a few hours later.

OP
Mutsch Harvesting

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Thank you I think a new antibiotic he told me and it was a drop he said it will work for 10 days as it is more aggressive than pills he cleaned it out with something before the drop it was so swollen I couldn't believe how fast it flared up just weds I wiped him down all cracks etc usually do it every 3 days I'll do vinegar and witch hazel as well but do I dab at the ear or actually put a couple drops of it in the era?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you I think a new antibiotic he told me and it was a drop he said it will work for 10 days as it is more aggressive than pills he cleaned it out with something before the drop it was so swollen I couldn't believe how fast it flared up just weds I wiped him down all cracks etc usually do it every 3 days I'll do vinegar and witch hazel as well but do I dab at the ear or actually put a couple drops of it in the era?

One of our members posted this and I still use it to this day for Nyala's tail pocket. I swear by it. It really works! Maintenance is the key!!!

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/SarahI t's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health. Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears.In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The easiest way to clean with the vinegar and witch hazel is to spray it in and then wipe out excess with a round cosmetic pad. The tried and true way is to drip a lot in, massage base of ear, then bully will fling their head around after to mix it around then you can wipe out the ear after. With Zymox you don't have to clean ear before you use it, another reason I like it. You just drip Zymox in, massage ear, and no wiping before or after.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Normal mixture of the apple cider vinegar and witch hazel is 50:50 , but when dog's ear is really inflamed it is less irrritating to use 2/3 witch hazel and 1/3 vinegar.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Yes, ear infections seems to pop up overnight. Sometimes the stinky smell gives it away

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Was the antibiotic called Calaro? Did your vet tell you to not do anything for the two weeks ?

Ear infection can pop up overnight, very quick to surface and go from clean and no issues to a full blown mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
That's a good point Christine made. If the vet put in Claro, which is a single dose treatment in the ears, you're not supposed to clean or put anything in the ears for 30 days, since it has a persistent effect for that long. However, in its evaluation studies it was only effective 72.5% of the time, so I would hate to wait 30 days if you are in the 27.5% group. If you don't see it working after a few days, I would call vet.

Was the antibiotic called Calaro? Did your vet tell you to not do anything for the two weeks ?

Ear infection can pop up overnight, very quick to surface and go from clean and no issues to a full blown mess

OP
Mutsch Harvesting

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Tried calling him today I can't remember I'll try again Monday am "A new very strong antibiotic that you squirt in and has same affect and more aggressive than a 10 day pill program " then he said the name Andy I don't remember .... I didn't write it down for some reason thinking I'd remember it
He used a cleansing rinse before he put the tube of stuff in
Told me to gently clean as needed but not deep into the ear just the tabs .....in case there is deprainage .....there is no smell or blood or discharge watching them closely he seems better today not tilting his head as much but the ear looks the same
So I'm taking pics to compare to see if there is improvements from now on

Thank you everyone I did not use vinegar or witch hazel until the vet will approve it but this is always good to know!!!
Thank you so much I'll find out Monday and post

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tried calling him today I can't remember I'll try again Monday am "A new very strong antibiotic that you squirt in and has same affect and more aggressive than a 10 day pill program " then he said the name Andy I don't remember .... I didn't write it down for some reason thinking I'd remember it
He used a cleansing rinse before he put the tube of stuff in
Told me to gently clean as needed but not deep into the ear just the tabs .....in case there is deprainage .....there is no smell or blood or discharge watching them closely he seems better today not tilting his head as much but the ear looks the same
So I'm taking pics to compare to see if there is improvements from now on

Thank you everyone I did not use vinegar or witch hazel until the vet will approve it but this is always good to know!!!
Thank you so much I'll find out Monday and post

Yes, please wait to clean till you talk to them... Calaro is about 30-40$ per ear and I'd hate to see you clean it all out and have to start over.

Members online

No members online now.