General Question Flea, tick, and heart worm prevention

Becky3591

Jun 4, 2017
High Point, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winter (Winnie)
Hey everyone my name is Becky. I have a bulldog named Wynnie and I had a question about which kind of heart worm and flea prevention to use. Should I go with a chewable or the topical kind since they have sensitive skin? Which brand do people love or hate? Thank you for your help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey everyone my name is Becky. I have a bulldog named Wynnie and I had a question about which kind of heart worm and flea prevention to use. Should I go with a chewable or the topical kind since they have sensitive skin? Which brand do people love or hate? Thank you for your help.

Helene gave you two great links to previous threads... lots of great info for the gang.

:welcome3: to EBN

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Pretty easy to sum up for you the major ones members are using. I recommend to avoid Trifexis and Comfortis because of increased side effects:
Oral route: Heartworm prevention: Ivermectin or Milbemycin ( various brandnames )- can probably stretch out dosing to every 6-8 weeks if you know for sure dog didn't throw up
Flea and tick prevention: Nexgard (monthly) or Bravecto (every 2-3 months)
Topical route: Heartworm prevention: Revolution or Advantage Multi monthly (these also take care of fleas)
Flea and Tick Prevention: Vectra 3D or K9 Advantix II monthly(advantage of these two is they have permethrin to prevent fleas and ticks from approaching dog but is toxic to cat for 48hr).
Some people use Seresto collar which can last for up to 8 months, doesn't seem very commonly used in our group.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
welcome,,, ,,, and ya ought to stick around too :) lots of good/great info around here :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.