Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Hey all,

The past few weeks Reggie has had very itchy eyes, which he is always rubbing.
He has seen the vet twice, the first time he got antibiotic eye drops and the itching went away for a short while, then came back.
The second time they put a yellow dye in his eyes to check for ulcers, and said everything looks fine, no ulcers.
They thought it might be a touch of hayfever so he was given eye drops with both steroids and antibiotics, but these don't seem to be helping at all.
He's always trying to rub them, bless him, and he gets quite kranky. The right eye is also quite swollen now.
He has his neuter surgery booked in for Thursday and the vet is going to have a good look while he is under anaesthetic, because he really won't let anyone look at his eyes otherwise - but in the meantime is there anything we can do to soothe them, and help him out a bit?
We are wiping with very soft cloths & cool water, which seems to help a bit.

Both vets agreed there is no sign at all of entropian or cherry eye.

Thanks in advance!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You could give him Benadryl or Zyrtec... IMO Zyrtec works better for the eyes. You also can put eye drops in his eyes just to rinse them out (plain saline), I have been using an eye gel on Walter's eye right now because his eye has been swollen and red. Gel seems to work better because it sticks to the eye and keeps that area from getting more irritated.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Might need the inside eye lashes plucked... My rescue has a few on both eyes. She does less carpet head rubs when they've just been picked

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's good to rotate antihistamines- I give my dog chlorpheniramine 4-8 mg every 12 hours or Zyrtec (Cetirizine) 0.5 mg/pound once daily, which works out to 10-20mg daily. Diphenhydramine dose is 1 mg/pound 2-3 times daily. All 3 are available in generic versions in Canada that are really inexpensive. Benadryl is the most sedating so I don't give that for seasonal allergies.

You could give him Benadryl or Zyrtec... IMO Zyrtec works better for the eyes. You also can put eye drops in his eyes just to rinse them out (plain saline), I have been using an eye gel on Walter's eye right now because his eye has been swollen and red. Gel seems to work better because it sticks to the eye and keeps that area from getting more irritated.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.