sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
IMG_8745.JPGCan you please help me? I'm desperately needing help with Gumbo. She has these patches coming on her body. We have been treating them for months. The one on her body in the middle is the one that has healed but then it has spread. When I bathed her the rest of her hair came off (on Tuesday) and left that patch on her arm and under the healed patches on her body. The one on her neck the vet shaved about a week and a half ago.

Here is what we have done. The vet has ran labs, no thyroid issues. She is taking 1,000 mg of Cephalexin and has 3 days left on it. She has been on that for almost a month. She is also taking 40 mg of Prednisone. She has been on that for almost 2 weeks. She has had 3 different steroid shots and abx shots. No fever. No throwing up. She was on apoquel for 45 days before this. It started back with the first patch in January. It didn't really look like yeast though, more like Staph. Mange was ruled out via skin scrape. He was concerned about her ears but they are not yeasty inside. She has been on a fromms beef frittata and a homemade diet of cooked beef, brown rice, egg, apple sauce and green beans with dynovite since I got her 5 years ago. She is 12. I have changed her diet to Fromms Lamb and lentil which is grain free and cooked beef with eggs (including the shells) and green beans beans but I think I need to take those out maybe. I've been washing the patches 2-3 times a day and then putting apple cider vinegar and panalog on it or just the acv.

Im also recovering from 2 brain surgeries so I've been trying to treat this the best that I could. Until her hair came off this week I didn't realize her skin was so bad. I just need help. Please. I'm miserable and heartbroken. She is seeing the vet but he didn't catch this. I'm not sure why. I'm wondering too if I need a new vet. I'm thinking maybe I do. He thought it was a hot spot. Until I saw this one this week though, I could not smell it but I do smell her now. Does she need to be off the antibodies? Do I need raw? Do I need to stop the kibble? I'm so overwhelmed. She isn't scratching and I do have a follow up with him on Tuesday. I just need my baby well. She is drinking water like crazy and it seems more red than it did so maybe she is detoxing?

the black spot in the middle is where it originally started and it is healed now but she is still bald there. I'm not sure if she will get hair but I have to keep it shaved because the rest of it I'm trying to keep dry. Thank you so much.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry you both are going through this. This sounds and looks a lot like what my friends bully has and it most likely is Malassezia yeast infection. Internally I suggest that you give her double or triple dose on probiotics, very limited ingredient home made or raw food.

Here's something about the medication for the condition.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=321

B770QE

Feb 7, 2016
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I don't have any advice, but am praying for quick healing! She looks like such a sweet girl :havemyheart:

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
View attachment 106283Can you please help me? I'm desperately needing help with Gumbo. She has these patches coming on her body. We have been treating them for months. The one on her body in the middle is the one that has healed but then it has spread. When I bathed her the rest of her hair came off (on Tuesday) and left that patch on her arm and under the healed patches on her body. The one on her neck the vet shaved about a week and a half ago.

Here is what we have done. The vet has ran labs, no thyroid issues. She is taking 1,000 mg of Cephalexin and has 3 days left on it. She has been on that for almost a month. She is also taking 40 mg of Prednisone. She has been on that for almost 2 weeks. She has had 3 different steroid shots and abx shots. No fever. No throwing up. She was on apoquel for 45 days before this. It started back with the first patch in January. It didn't really look like yeast though, more like Staph. Mange was ruled out via skin scrape. He was concerned about her ears but they are not yeasty inside. She has been on a fromms beef frittata and a homemade diet of cooked beef, brown rice, egg, apple sauce and green beans with dynovite since I got her 5 years ago. She is 12. I have changed her diet to Fromms Lamb and lentil which is grain free and cooked beef with eggs (including the shells) and green beans beans but I think I need to take those out maybe. I've been washing the patches 2-3 times a day and then putting apple cider vinegar and panalog on it or just the acv.

Im also recovering from 2 brain surgeries so I've been trying to treat this the best that I could. Until her hair came off this week I didn't realize her skin was so bad. I just need help. Please. I'm miserable and heartbroken. She is seeing the vet but he didn't catch this. I'm not sure why. I'm wondering too if I need a new vet. I'm thinking maybe I do. He thought it was a hot spot. Until I saw this one this week though, I could not smell it but I do smell her now. Does she need to be off the antibodies? Do I need raw? Do I need to stop the kibble? I'm so overwhelmed. She isn't scratching and I do have a follow up with him on Tuesday. I just need my baby well. She is drinking water like crazy and it seems more red than it did so maybe she is detoxing?

the black spot in the middle is where it originally started and it is healed now but she is still bald there. I'm not sure if she will get hair but I have to keep it shaved because the rest of it I'm trying to keep dry. Thank you so much.

Shades of Abe from a few months ago. Poor poor Gumbo and poor poor you. Are you anywhere near a veterinary teaching university? Even if not near maybe you could forward you post to the teaching university in your state and they could refer you to a top notch Bully vet near you. This is truly heartbreaking. I had 2 craniotomies 18 months ago so I get where you are coming from. I will be thinking of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
I'm not unfortunately. What did they do for Abe? It is heartbreaking. I'm trying so hard to get it under control.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Ouch, poor little girl. That looks so sore. I am not able to give you any advice unfortunately but if you tell us your location we may be able to help you find a good bully vet. I wish you both well and hope you both get better soon.

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
Ouch, poor little girl. That looks so sore. I am not able to give you any advice unfortunately but if you tell us your location we may be able to help you find a good bully vet. I wish you both well and hope you both get better soon.

Oh thank you! I am in Shreveport LA. I have looked but have not found one. She is so old and with my health we have not been able to travel that far.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Just a suggestion, Sadie has horrible allergies and was getting Staph over and over. I was doing raw beef, cooked beef, etc. Dummy here...she is allergic to beef. After stopping anything beef related and starting the Apoquel no more staff or hot spots.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Just a suggestion, Sadie has horrible allergies and was getting Staph over and over. I was doing raw beef, cooked beef, etc. Dummy here...she is allergic to beef. After stopping anything beef related and starting the Apoquel no more staff or hot spots.

Beef was my first thought... with age, maybe it's just too much protein?? or just acquired allergy to

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm not unfortunately. What did they do for Abe? It is heartbreaking. I'm trying so hard to get it under control.

Wondering if it could be a storage mite allergy... if it is you'd need to feed taw or store her kibble in freezer ... break i to freezer bags and feed cold...

storage mites are in all dry food... only way to avoid is freezer storage to stop the mites or go raw

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Oh thank you! I am in Shreveport LA. I have looked but have not found one. She is so old and with my health we have not been able to travel that far.

I looked at the list and there isn't a vet listed in LA. I also checked in AR and TX near you and couldn't find anything. Hopefully someone will know the area and come up with a vet for you. Sorry I can't help.

Edited to add. Try calling LSU at their veterinary school and see if they can give you a name of a vet or a Veterinary Dermatologist.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So sorry for your baby suffering! But you really need a proper diagnosis, as in case it is Malassezia, like Riisi thinks, antibiotics and steroids will only do more harm, as antibiotics kill bacteria which are natural opponents of fungi and steroids kill immunity, they are only good for short courses if dog has severe allergy to alleviate suffering. Please, try to find dog dermatologist. Just vet won't be able to help probably. Smell makes to think more about malassezia, but at the same time sometimes mange scrapes come falsely negative. I would also dare to make a suggestion - As you anyway have to give her something against ticks and fleas, why don't you go for Nexguard, it is now recommended for mange.
Don't think too much about the food at the moment, it doesn't seem really like allergy issue at the moment as it didn't respond to steroid therapy. And food change won't help with it significantly. Keep it reasonably few ingredients. The key need for you now - not just vet, but vet dermatologist. Praying for you and your baby.

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
So sorry for your baby suffering! But you really need a proper diagnosis, as in case it is Malassezia, like Riisi thinks, antibiotics and steroids will only do more harm, as antibiotics kill bacteria which are natural opponents of fungi and steroids kill immunity, they are only good for short courses if dog has severe allergy to alleviate suffering. Please, try to find dog dermatologist. Just vet won't be able to help probably. Smell makes to think more about malassezia, but at the same time sometimes mange scrapes come falsely negative. I would also dare to make a suggestion - As you anyway have to give her something against ticks and fleas, why don't you go for Nexguard, it is now recommended for mange.
Don't think too much about the food at the moment, it doesn't seem really like allergy issue at the moment as it didn't respond to steroid therapy. And food change won't help with it significantly. Keep it reasonably few ingredients. The key need for you now - not just vet, but vet dermatologist. Praying for you and your baby.

We don't do any treatment for fleas and ticks. Her heartworm medicine does fleas and I check her daily for ticks and remove them if she gets them. They have never been a problem. Would doing that make her worse? Ive introduced so much lately. I'm so hesitant now to do anything.

I did consult one of the vets at Tech in Ruston who oversees their school mascot. He did not see her directly, just her picture as he is family friends with us but he said that it looks like yeast and we needed to find another vet to treat it. So I'm going to do that on Monday. He said he felt like the allergy testing was not the way to go due to her age, that it would not be fair to put her through that. She will be 13 in November. So I'll try to get her in to a new vet on Monday and I've stopped all the antibiotics and steroids and we will see how this goes. Thank you all so much!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
uNIVERSITY Veterinary Hospital
7700 East Kings Highway
Shreveport,Louisiana 71115 Phone:318 797 5522 If you cannot go there, perhaps they can recommend a good vet for you! @sherden24

Sir Bentley

Jan 27, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bentley
I have no experience with what you and your bully are going through but I will put you both on our prayer list...which can be the best medicine . God Bless

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.