General Question Do You Feed Raw?

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I've been reading up on raw diets after my pug Chug was diagnosed with struvite crystals in his urine and to benefit my other pug Lola and my bully Canelo. I would like to hear from those that currently feed raw diets if you are. Based on this article below I've calculated to feed my three I would need 2.5 lbs of fresh food a day. My questions keep growing but I want to start my fur babies this weekend on a raw diet, that's why I looked up recipes. Why the weekend, in case there are any digestive issues requiring the yard.

One question I have is can I prep the food and freeze it, then thaw it the night before feeding?

How To Create A Raw Dog Food Recipe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I feed Jax raw and have been for a couple years now. I don't make my own but I buy pre-made patties that are already balanced with correct meat/organ/bone ratio. I also don't use the patties that have veggies or fruits in them. I also feed green bison tripe. But yes, you can totally prepare the food in advance and freeze. I used to make a week's worth of food every Sunday and portion it out into little containers and then take out 2 containers a day to thaw. Now I make two weeks worth at a time. It really is easy to do once you get the hang of it.

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I feed Jax raw and have been for a couple years now. I don't make my own but I buy pre-made patties that are already balanced with correct meat/organ/bone ratio. I also don't use the patties that have veggies or fruits in them. I also feed green bison tripe. But yes, you can totally prepare the food in advance and freeze. I used to make a week's worth of food every Sunday and portion it out into little containers and then take out 2 containers a day to thaw. Now I make two weeks worth at a time. It really is easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I was checking out premade, can I ask what brand you use? I really don't want to introduce grains or veggies. Thanks!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I was checking out premade, can I ask what brand you use? I really don't want to introduce grains or veggies. Thanks!

I use Vital Essentials which I can get at local pet stores for rabbit and chicken. They also have beef, wild boar and turkey. I order bison patties online at bigbearpet.com and I usually order 12 pounds at a time and get free shipping. They also have beef and lamb. I get the tripe from a local place that delivers it to me called Darwin's but I think they ship as well. I believe their meat has veggies in them. Not sure where you're located but there are other places online that you can order grinds from. There's Raw Feeding Miami, Reel Raw and Hare Today. If you are near any of those, shipping may not be too bad. There are other online places as well but those are the ones I can think of.

Oh, and I'll throw in some sardines once or twice a week. I used to buy the no salt, in water Season brand but one of the local pet stores carries a chub by Primal and that is cheaper.

And Tucker's is another brand. They don't use fruits or veggies but they do use pumpkin in their mixes. I've used their salmon-pumpkin and I just got the pork-bison-pumpkin to try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I use Vital Essentials which I can get at local pet stores for rabbit and chicken. They also have beef, wild boar and turkey. I order bison patties online at bigbearpet.com and I usually order 12 pounds at a time and get free shipping. They also have beef and lamb. I get the tripe from a local place that delivers it to me called Darwin's but I think they ship as well. I believe their meat has veggies in them. Not sure where you're located but there are other places online that you can order grinds from. There's Raw Feeding Miami, Reel Raw and Hare Today. If you are near any of those, shipping may not be too bad. There are other online places as well but those are the ones I can think of.

Oh, and I'll throw in some sardines once or twice a week. I used to buy the no salt, in water Season brand but one of the local pet stores carries a chub by Primal and that is cheaper.

I'm south east of Houston, TX.

I SAW Vital Essence and Darwin's researching. Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to check these out. I may be out fishing soon lol!!!!

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I had a great morning encounter!!! I went by my grocier to pick up a few things, one was to pick up prepared raw food. Checking out I let a lady go in front of me, she saw the prepared raw food and spoke up. What a great moment! She and I talked for 30 minutes! She feeds raw to her dogs so she pointed me to choice raw meats at the grocer! I also fond out we visit the same local butcher and they accommodate sales for raw food diets. This is AWESOME!!! So while I investigate theses leads, I now have pre-prepped semi raw foods to start with.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I had a great morning encounter!!! I went by my grocier to pick up a few things, one was to pick up prepared raw food. Checking out I let a lady go in front of me, she saw the prepared raw food and spoke up. What a great moment! She and I talked for 30 minutes! She feeds raw to her dogs so she pointed me to choice raw meats at the grocer! I also fond out we visit the same local butcher and they accommodate sales for raw food diets. This is AWESOME!!! So while I investigate theses leads, I now have pre-prepped semi raw foods to start with.

Excellent! I know starting on raw can feel scary but it really isn't. And your dogs will surely love it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.