skin infection and shampoo

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Little background on Jelly... (Angelica, aka Jelly).... she's 8 years old and she is my daughters English Bulldog. My daughter was just transferred to Atlanta. We all felt that Jelly was better off staying with me in Florida vs. the big city. :*(

Jelly had a skin infection and was put on an antibiotic (vet said she may need to always take an antibiotic), she also takes 50mg of benedryl AM and PM...she seems to be doing better, but two questions.

She is still licking her paws a lot, I try to always wipe her feet when she's been outside and that seems to help a little, but I wonder if there is something else I could do?

I ran out of the shampoo the vet sold me (benzoyl peroxide) I can't remember the name. I ordered Pyoben on Amazon and it seems to be working, but she is starting to shed like crazy!! I wonder if it's the shampoo or the whether? We're in Florida and it is starting to get hot. I brush her every morning when I take her outside. Usually after a little brushing there is no shedding, but now I can't get the shedding to stop, I think I could brush for for an hour and I'd still see shedding!??? Normal for this time of year, or is the shampoo not doing the job???? (she goes back to the vet next month).

I have not changed her food, as my daughter said not to. She said when ever she tried to change to a better food she had diarrhea (sp?) ... any thoughts on that...she's eating Kibbles n Bits....and I put a teaspoon of plain yogurt in it.

Thanks for any ideas you all have!

Cindy

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hello and welcome! The first question we will ask is , what food are you giving your EB? The food that you give your dog is the most importatnt thing. Maybe the shampoo is to strong for your bully. Get something not so harsh and organic. I dont bathe Mocha more than every 3 weeks,becasue they do suffer from allergies. I read a post here recomending some organic coconut oil as a supplement and I have been given it to Mocha every other day or so. I hope I was able to help.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Love Jelly...... Welcome to the website....We love pix here and Im sure everyone would love to see her. First, diet is soooooooo very important to these dogs that I would recommend that you look at the ratings chart on this website and see if kibbles and bits is on the chart. The main reason that a dog will get diarrhea is that the change was done too fast. Finding the right foood for your dog can be a challenge and may take many changes till you find the right one.
Is the vet experienced in BULLIES? They are a 'different' breed and have special problems that take a vet that knows the breed well to take care of their needs.
We use Selsun Blue shampoo on our Princess Gracie.
Im sure others will have suggestions for you to think about as well. I hope you can find the solution to Jelly's little problems. :) Again, Welcome :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am sure the weather is playing a huge part of it!!

Welcome to the forum, would love to see pics!!!

Now lets help your "grandbaby" get better!!!!

First of all, the food needs to be changed to see what REAL problems she has with allergies. Once she is on a good kibble, then see how her skin and coat are, and see if you need to do allergy meds anymore. Because I got to tell you... Kibbles and Bits is one of the WORST dog foods! She may have gotten diarrhea :poo: because she switched too fast..... going from KNB to a good dog food would be very upsetting to a bully tummy! This switch would need to happen over a course of two weeks probably. Also TREATS are important too. No bacon snacks or any of that.

Here is the ingredient list of KNB, almost every ingredient in there is BAD!!!! ESPECIALLY the top 10 ingredients are big :nono:

corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, ground wheat flour, animal fat (bha used as preservative), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), calcium sulfate, titanium dioxide, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), dl methionine.

Here is what is in Fromm so you can compare:

Salmon, Duck Meal, Potatoes, Pea Flour, Sweet Potatoes, Duck, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Salmon Meal, Whole Dried Egg, Pea Protein, Chicken, Flaxseed, Cheese, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Chicken Broth, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Folic Acid, Parsley, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
@%1; Kibbles n Bits isn't the "best of foods"...ask your daughter if you can. When she switched foods was it just replacing the bag or a gradual transition from one to the other by mixing the two.

Typically...allergies can stem from poor quality food. And...though it's cheaper...and sometimes dogs do get diarrhea from a food switch. But it doesn't last long. Typically it's from changing it to quickly that you see it though. And not so much if you do a gradual change.

My Tank has had issues with his feet and we switched out his food. And now his feet cleared up. He still has allergies to seasonal things which he still gets Benadryl for that. But...the feet were from food. But those allergies more effect his wrinkle near his nose...just a lil' spot.

I was told by the vet...that as a dog gets older their allergy symptoms worsen. So...if you could discuss switching the food with your daughter again. It may just help resolve a few things with the feet your currently dealing with.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
She's eating Kibbles n Bits...and very "generic" food I suppose, but my daughter said every time she's tried to switch her to something better she had terrible diarrhea. I'd like to try something a little more organic/healthy. I put a teaspoon of yogurt in the food and I give her about 1 slice of honey wheat bread a day...I use it to hide the meds, otherwise she spits the pills out.
The Vet wanted her to be bathed once a week in the benzoyl peroxide shampoo, which is what I've been doing....do I need to find a new vet? I've never had a dog, so I pretty much don't know what I'm doing. ;)

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I would again...ask your daughter how she made the transition to the new dog food when she did make the switch. Before scratching that out entirely...How long has this issue with her feet been going on?

I'm allowed to give Tank my bulldog Benadryl every 8 hours...when needed. I get up at 5am...So he gets it three times a day.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Thanks for the replies....I knew kibbles n bits wasn't a good choice, but I was doing what I was told to do.. HA!
I will try switching GRADUALLY....
I'd love to post pics, but haven't figured out how to do that yet....I think I just figured it out?? IMG_2611.jpg496402-R1-07-17A.jpgIMG_2604.jpgIMG_2442.jpg
I posted a profile pic of Jelly, but I must have done that wrong...I'll get back to this later this evening....she's a great dog and loves my oldest daughers two kids, when that baby is here she is right by his side!:luv: It was Jelly's 8th birthday in the pic with the party hats!! THANKS to everyone who helped me out today!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
[MENTION=2062]love jelly[/MENTION], I am not sure which part of Fl you are in, however in NE (Jacksonville, my area) the pollen it horrible. Today alone we cleaned out the pool and already, due to the rain shower of Oak droppings, the pool is already covered again.

Changing foods is a very slow process but well worth it. There are numerous brands that are so much better, grain free etc...for bullies that suffer with allergies.

Washing her with a medicated shampoo is good, however you may want to slow down on the frequency of the baths. Or if you think more often is better, then alternate with a gentler shampoo.
Allergies are responses to those allergies are so difficult to come up with.
One by one change is the best and real slow. You may want to make a journal so you can list your changes and her reactions.
Some other common allergies other than pollen and foods are plastics (bowls, toys) and synthetic fibers (beds, blankets, stuffed animals)

Good luck and she is just beautiful!

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
We're in West Central Florida, Clearwater area, and yes the pollen here is crazy! I can barely keep my eyes open...they are so itchy and tearing like I'm crying non stop! I just noticed Jelly has a red bump between her toes, only one, but I'm sure that's due to allergies. I just ordered Diamond Naturals...my decision was based on some reviews I read and cost...at this point she's putting a dent in my checkbook with the weekly trips to the groomer, and she is due for her yearly checkup at the vet. I'll see how this food goes and upgrade if I have to. I read that cider vinegar on her feet after being outside will help...I'll try that too. Thanks for your help!
ps...I smiled when you talked about synthetic fibers...this dog sleeps on a $200 J. Crew memory foam bed....all cotton cover. My daughter bought it for her just before she came here to live. :up:

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Hello and welcome! The first question we will ask is , what food are you giving your EB? The food that you give your dog is the most importatnt thing. Maybe the shampoo is to strong for your bully. Get something not so harsh and organic. I dont bathe Mocha more than every 3 weeks,becasue they do suffer from allergies. I read a post here recomending some organic coconut oil as a supplement and I have been given it to Mocha every other day or so. I hope I was able to help.

Do you put the coconut oil in Mocha's food?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My Abby has the most allergies. I don't put coconut oil in her food. I will actually put it directly on her hot spot areas! She is allergic to plastic, synthetic fibers, pork, dairy products and grains. YUCK.
If things get real bad, I do rinse her with apple vinegar after baths, smells like a salad but works.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online