1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so upset.

Monty has been battling an infection deep in his body which started as a tail infection for months now. He has been on antibiotics (cephalexin 500mg), the last an extended course of about 3 months. That ended about 10 days ago with him being clear for weeks, then this morning, it is weeping watery blood again. I will of course be going to the Vets ASAP. Has anyone gone through anything like this? Any suggestions? I really thought we had it knocked out this time.

My apologies if this shows up twice. I posted it but 15 mins later and it hasn't shown up yet!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with a deep infection... several tail infections with both Banks and Lambeau... Bamks we were able to control and clear without issues,,, Lambeau we had to remove the tail

Sending many prayers and positive thoughts for your sweet Monty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This is what I would think... Removal... Seems the kindest thing even though so hard on us to think of, it may be the answer for him??

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
The problem is the infection is not actually around his tail His tail looks great! We thought it was a ruptured anal gland at first but then that was ruled out. I am at my wit's end.

Monty Sore2.jpg
Monty Sore1.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I will ask about a biopsy when I see the vet. Hopefully, I can get in to see him tomorrow.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The problem is the infection is not actually around his tail His tail looks great! We thought it was a ruptured anal gland at first but then that was ruled out. I am at my wit's end.

View attachment 106239
View attachment 106240

I dont know but that looks more like tissue or gland. Don't have to be anal either. What test did the vet do?

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I dont know but that looks more like tissue or gland. Don't have to be anal either. What test did the vet do?

The first infection was under his tail. We got that all cleared up then it started weeping just like you see in the photos. We thought it was a ruptured anal gland but when it was checked, his anal gland was fine and the opinion was it was a deep infection stemming from the tail infection. More antibiotics plus a drainage tube, it cleared up again and all was well for another couple of weeks then it erupted again. We then put him on a long course of antibiotics as our vet didn't think he had been on them long enough to really knock it out. It cleared up after a couple of weeks but we completed the course about 10 days ago and now, here we are again. Aaarghh! It is a definite hole there but I agree with you, it does look like tissue underneath.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The first infection was under his tail. We got that all cleared up then it started weeping just like you see in the photos. We thought it was a ruptured anal gland but when it was checked, his anal gland was fine and the opinion was it was a deep infection stemming from the tail infection. More antibiotics plus a drainage tube, it cleared up again and all was well for another couple of weeks then it erupted again. We then put him on a long course of antibiotics as our vet didn't think he had been on them long enough to really knock it out. It cleared up after a couple of weeks but we completed the course about 10 days ago and now, here we are again. Aaarghh! It is a definite hole there but I agree with you, it does look like tissue underneath.

Really odd. If it keeps coming back after every 2 weeks and couple times of antibiotics and plus it was drained with a tube andanal gland ruled out. And their 100% sure its not the glad? It sure looks like a soft tissue bulging. Lets see what others think. Im sure someone will answer as you already know.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Pam, the worry you must be feeling hurts my heart!

I can be tough in many things but not on my Cami's behalf.

She caught a nail the other day (only thing I can think as I
wasn't in the room) thinking she got tangled in the blanket as
she was getting off the bed (on floor not on a frame) & screamed.
I came running, she was lying on her side & shaking, my mind went
into a panic (thought her leg was broke) could hardly dial the vet.
As she calmed & I could check her rear legs, nothing seemed wrong.
Can't stand the thought she's in pain ever!

Starting prayers now for Monty's correct dx & complete recovery asap.
Please keep us updated and be sure to take care of you too! XOXO

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO sorry to hear this, Walter had an anal gland rupture like that and it was awful... I agree w/Christine have that tissue biopsied.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Really odd. If it keeps coming back after every 2 weeks and couple times of antibiotics and plus it was drained with a tube andanal gland ruled out. And their 100% sure its not the glad? It sure looks like a soft tissue bulging. Lets see what others think. Im sure someone will answer as you already know.

Yes, questions to be asked for sure. I am waiting for the vet to open so I can call. It is odd as it doesn't erupt as a boil would erupt, for example, but it does burst open the skin. Of course, that is the only patch so far where the fur has grown back so we couldn't tell anything was going on til it happened! It had been healed for weeks so I didn't think to keep checking. More fool me.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Has a perianal adenoma been ruled out? Or fistula? [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] Best of luck at the vet-hope your questions can be answered. If not go elsewhere.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh dear!!! I have no experience....or advice to offer but I do PRAY and will until I hear he is better!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.