Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
I've searched but can't find a definitive answer. My bully recently started with clear runny nose and red eyes, some congestion. I recently started to switch her from Orijen to Fromm puppy and am wondering could those be food allergy symptoms or pollen symptoms or beginning signs of something else like kennel cough. She's also been on Immodium for 2 days to help her runny stools (i believe from not handling Orijen well). Any thoughts? Thanks.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Could be food but sound more like environmental allergies. Take a white tissue or toilet paper and wipe her nose to check if it is clear or green and cloudy. If green/cloudy it could be an upper respiratory infection. If clear you can try giving benadryl with a dosage of 1mg per pound of body weight to see if she gets relief.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I've searched but can't find a definitive answer. My bully recently started with clear runny nose and red eyes, some congestion. I recently started to switch her from Orijen to Fromm puppy and am wondering could those be food allergy symptoms or pollen symptoms or beginning signs of something else like kennel cough. She's also been on Immodium for 2 days to help her runny stools (i believe from not handling Orijen well). Any thoughts? Thanks.

Not the food for sure as what you're describing is more outside allergies. Immodium for a puppy is way to strong, I use to give that to my GS but he was 115lbs, try pumpkin as it will help the stools. Was your dog around other dogs for kennel cough?

OP
Steve Armstrong

Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
thanks for the replies, I gave her 1/2 tablet of Immodium (she's 35 lbs) and it seemed to help with that, however I have since transitioned to the pumpkin. She is around dogs a lot including a play day once a week at the local Camp Bow Wow which she likes so that's what got me thinking about the kennel cough. Her nose was a little crusty this am so she's off to the vet for a checkup. If it is only allergies I will try the Benedryl but will that make her sleepy? Any other allergy options? Thanks.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How old is she? Does she have a dry cough? Could very well just be environmental allergies. Benadryl does not make my Frenchie sleepy but every dog is different. You can also try Zyrtec. I believe the dosage for 34 pounds would be either 1 10 mg pill a day or 2 5 mg pills a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
OMG!! Her name cracked me up! Does she live up to it?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
OMG!! Her name cracked me up! Does she live up to it?

Lol just noticed her name cause of you! Ms Bucket! Lolll imagine a neighbour like her?
[MENTION=16896]Steve Armstrong[/MENTION] I would stick to benadryl. None of my dogs ever got sleepy on Benadryl. But I do loll Mind you cough syrup knocks me out. Lol let us know what the vet said.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks for the replies, I gave her 1/2 tablet of Immodium (she's 35 lbs) and it seemed to help with that, however I have since transitioned to the pumpkin. She is around dogs a lot including a play day once a week at the local Camp Bow Wow which she likes so that's what got me thinking about the kennel cough. Her nose was a little crusty this am so she's off to the vet for a checkup. If it is only allergies I will try the Benedryl but will that make her sleepy? Any other allergy options? Thanks.

Gang has you covered.... how is she today?

OP
Steve Armstrong

Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
It's not Bucket, it's Bouquet!

The lady of the house demands attention just like her namesake! She went to the vet yeaterday, he said it seems like environmental allergies, eyes very red so she has drops for those and an antihistamine to take during the week for the runny nose. She thanks you all for your help and it's always good to have knowledge from this board before going to the vet so intelligent questions can be asked. If the antihistamine doesn't work I'll try the Benadryl, thanks very much.

Lol just noticed her name cause of you! Ms Bucket! Lolll imagine a neighbour like her?
[MENTION=16896]Steve Armstrong[/MENTION] I would stick to benadryl. None of my dogs ever got sleepy on Benadryl. But I do loll Mind you cough syrup knocks me out. Lol let us know what the vet said.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's not Bucket, it's Bouquet!

The lady of the house demands attention just like her namesake! She went to the vet yeaterday, he said it seems like environmental allergies, eyes very red so she has drops for those and an antihistamine to take during the week for the runny nose. She thanks you all for your help and it's always good to have knowledge from this board before going to the vet so intelligent questions can be asked. If the antihistamine doesn't work I'll try the Benadryl, thanks very much.

If she is over a year... ask your vet about cytopoint shots... are Lambeau has an arm length list of environmental allergies and tgese shots have bern his miracle. One shot every 4-6 weeks and one of the best things--- no side effects

OP
Steve Armstrong

Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
She's 5 months but will keep that in mind, thanks.

If she is over a year... ask your vet about cytopoint shots... are Lambeau has an arm length list of environmental allergies and tgese shots have bern his miracle. One shot every 4-6 weeks and one of the best things--- no side effects

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.