apb0216

May 15, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Hello,

Our baby Buster has been shedding for about 6 months now. We have him on Vet3 caps similar
to fish oil, but it doesn't seem to be helping his coat. In fact, recently he's developed scabs on the bald spots in his body. I've read that perhaps Melatonin might help out. Has anyone had his experience? What do you all recommend? We'll be taking him to the vet next week to get it checked but last time we went he said it was all probably seasonal shedding. Perhaps seasonal flank alopecia?

Attachments

• IMG_4977.JPG
    IMG_4977.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 635

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi there. When you say "last time we went" was that 6 months ago? Never accept a " probably or perhaps" from any vetror even a doctor. Youwill have to give us more details. Example, when was last time you went to the vet, what did the vet give as meds or is it just the Vet3, what do you feed your dog, what kind of detergents you use, shampoos etc etc. The more we know the better. 6 months with no improvement is not good. After 6 months, Vet 3 is not enough. There are quite a few of members that had the same issues with their dogs. I will tags some for you. Hang on....and look up a cream called NuStock and yes melatonin is good.

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION], [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] and the rest of the clan!!!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you use NuStock you should probably apply it outside or put dog in kennel for a couple of hours so it doesn't rub off on furniture or carpets. Also wash or wipe down area before applying, and lightly shave down the area. Just in case it's mange you could try giving him Nexgard monthly which would also treat ticks or fleas, or Advantage Multi monthly which isn't as good as Nexgard but will also treat heartworm.

Hi there. When you say "last time we went" was that 6 months ago? Never accept a " probably or perhaps" from any vetror even a doctor. Youwill have to give us more details. Example, when was last time you went to the vet, what did the vet give as meds or is it just the Vet3, what do you feed your dog, what kind of detergents you use, shampoos etc etc. The more we know the better. 6 months with no improvement is not good. After 6 months, Vet 3 is not enough. There are quite a few of members that had the same issues with their dogs. I will tags some for you. Hang on....and look up a cream called NuStock and yes melatonin is good.

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION], [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] and the rest of the clan!!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Could be seasonal alopecia, but with the introduction of scabs that is not likely. I would have a skin scrape done to rule out mites and to see if it could be a staph infection.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
If you use NuStock you should probably apply it outside or put dog in kennel for a couple of hours so it doesn't rub off on furniture or carpets. Also wash or wipe down area before applying, and lightly shave down the area. Just in case it's mange you could try giving him Nexgard monthly which would also treat ticks or fleas, or Advantage Multi monthly which isn't as good as Nexgard but will also treat heartworm.

^^^ This. I dont know where you are in the US so it may be too hot to be outside for any length of time. If you do get a tube of Nustock, really squish it around before putting it on as it seperates. And be prepared for the smell!!!! I would put it on Monty and then as soon as it dried (a couple of minutes or so) brought him in. Has he lost hair all over his body? Also, do you have a good bully vet in your area? I agree with Helene about the "probably". That is a pretty severe case of seasonal shedding! I strongly advise you to find the best vet you can and we can help hopefully if we know where you are.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It could be seasonal alopecia or thyroid... my Walter has lost most of his hair on his flanks, we are running a thyroid test next week. I agree w/Todd... w/those scabs on there they really need to do a skin scrape to rule out an infection.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
All good advice from above.
Judging from the provided pic it's difficult to tell where the affected area(s) is/are. If you can post another pic taken not so close up, please do.
We always do skin scraping if symptoms do not quickly respond to first round meds. Demodex can be ruled in/out in just a few minutes. Seasonal alopecia and hypothyroidism are also possibilities.

Just a wild guess(really wild considering the pic), that looks like classic hypothyroid.
I expect, and hope, I'm wrong.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15887]apb0216[/MENTION] keep us posted!! And yes like mentioned after 6 months, fine a good vet. Going through med/vet school for years, all the money it cost and you're told probably or perhaps....not a good place. Oh...... BTW WELCOME! :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Doesn't sound like SA. SA is not continuous,and not usually spreading all over. Does sound like thyroid,mange or staph. See a different vet,and don't wait so long!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,

Our baby Buster has been shedding for about 6 months now. We have him on Vet3 caps similar
to fish oil, but it doesn't seem to be helping his coat. In fact, recently he's developed scabs on the bald spots in his body. I've read that perhaps Melatonin might help out. Has anyone had his experience? What do you all recommend? We'll be taking him to the vet next week to get it checked but last time we went he said it was all probably seasonal shedding. Perhaps seasonal flank alopecia?

How old is Buster? Where is the area you have pictured... side, back?

it could be many things... allergies, staph, mange or seasonal flank.

OP
A

apb0216

May 15, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Thanks for the advice everyone! This is actually my first time posting on here and I'm a first time Bully momma so just wanted to see what experiences anyone has had with issues like this or any helpful advice. Ive added some more pictures. It's mostly on his sides where this happens. We took him to the vet last week and they did a thyroid screening but everything came out in the normal range. Buster is 1 year and 6 months old. He's on a grain free diet and we feed him Orijen Regional Red. When he first time started shedding it was around December so we also thought it was SA. His hair started growing back little by little until about 2-3 weeks ago we started noticing that his shedding was excessive. We took him to vet and he recommended we give the Vet3 caps a try. He's been on them for about a week now but those little scabs just started appearing this week. So that is why I'm starting to wonder if it's something more than just seasonal. We are in Texas so our weather is pretty hot right now but he's not more than 10 minutes outside when he goes to potty. IMG_4980.JPGIMG_4982.JPG

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15887]apb0216[/MENTION] Since the skin is black,it does look like SA-in these pictures. But he would not have scabs with that. Sometimes Melatonin will help with SA.Give it everyday 3to 5 mg.The scabs are the puzzle.......

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the advice everyone! This is actually my first time posting on here and I'm a first time Bully momma so just wanted to see what experiences anyone has had with issues like this or any helpful advice. Ive added some more pictures. It's mostly on his sides where this happens. We took him to the vet last week and they did a thyroid screening but everything came out in the normal range. Buster is 1 year and 6 months old. He's on a grain free diet and we feed him Orijen Regional Red. When he first time started shedding it was around December so we also thought it was SA. His hair started growing back little by little until about 2-3 weeks ago we started noticing that his shedding was excessive. We took him to vet and he recommended we give the Vet3 caps a try. He's been on them for about a week now but those little scabs just started appearing this week. So that is why I'm starting to wonder if it's something more than just seasonal. We are in Texas so our weather is pretty hot right now but he's not more than 10 minutes outside when he goes to potty. View attachment 106131View attachment 106130

@apb0216 Since the skin is black,it does look like SA-in these pictures. But he would not have scabs with that. Sometimes Melatonin will help with SA.Give it everyday 3to 5 mg.The scabs are the puzzle.......

Yep. looks like SFA. Melatonin and rub some coconut oil on the skin to keep it protected.

I am struggling with it on Lambeau too... I give him vitamin D, melatonin and had his thyroid tested all is good... I have it somewhat under control, it seems, cause it has not gotten any larger, but not getting better either.
I have noticed that he does have two scabs .. one on each side of him. I asked the vet about it last time we were in and she said not normal with SFA, but not uncommon either. The one has cleared up, but you can feel the skin is rougher and feels like a scar in a way.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It does look more like SFA now we can see where on the body it is. It is very difficult living in a hot climate (I am in Houston) as they need the sunlight but not the heat! I have made a conscious effort to spend time outside with Monty in the mornings before it gets really awful so he can get some vitamin D. I think it has helped as he lost a small amount of hair, but no more. Fingers crossed!

Members online

No members online now.