next food suggestion?

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i've had Bullet on Fromm (4 star) for over 3 weeks now and i noticed about a week ago that he is shedding constantly and starting to bite at his back feet. i can tell he has dry skin that i hadn't noticed before. started him on this as his eyes were tearing up more than usual. this might have to do with the weather as it's starting to warm up outside too. just want him to be comfortable. :(

i am wondering when is the best time to try something new and anything specific i should watch for in the next food choice? i have a couple coupons for the Nature's Variety from talking to a rep that was at my local specialty pet food shop. was thinking of trying that...any thoughts?

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I don't know anything abouy Nature's Variety, but my husband and I listened to a rep at our pet store about Nutro. After one bag we noticed that our little guy Tubs ended up very oily and stinky and I needed to give him a bath every 2 weeks. I also noticed that his tears stains have gotten out of hand where even cleaning him everyday I can't keep up with it. After reading some other posts about tear stains I saw that AvoDerm was a suggestion. It also mentioned that it helps with their coat and how these little guys smell. We just bought him his first bag of it yesterday and are starting to wean him off of the Nutro and on to the AvoDerm, so I am not sure how good it is right now. However, I can tell you that when I opened the bag it smelled a lot better. I told my husband that we had a really big "S" on our forehead when we listened to the guy at the pet store. But again, I am not sure about Nature's Variety, so I would make sure get more information from others who have tried it and not just the guy at the store who works for the company. I will let you know how the AvoDerm is as soon as we have him on it for a little while. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
which fromm are you using? It could just be the protein source in that food. Before changing to something completely different you may want to try another type of fromm OR if that is not the grain free, maybe try the grain free fromm foods next. But you you go to grain free after having grain spend a few days at least on the switch. If you are just switching to a diff protein in the same foods no need to do a transition.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I would try Fromm Beef Frittata..... it is the only Fromm that is both grain free AND chicken free . It has worked wonderfully for Gracie....... but that doesn't mean it will work for your baby since every bully is different and what works for one may not work for the next. buy smaller sized bags so you don't have so much waste if it doesn't work out... although Fromm is unconditionally guaranteed.. if you don't like it you get your money back so always save the bag and reciept.

ps: be careful of what is in the treats too.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree, try a different protein source. But with the warmer weather approaching we ALL need to watch for signs of allergies. But being on a good food like fromm should help boost the immune system so the allergies are less powerful. Which formula did you try in the fromm?

OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i have fed him surf n turf. i do have a couple bags of the porkchop/applesauce and whitefish/potato but those are for my choco lab. i was sticking with the grain free for Bullet. i check our pollen count often and right now it's on the 'low medium' scale. i haven't tried cleaning his paws when he comes in from outside but i should start to see if that helps too. not sure but the shedding is killing me. i brush and comb him most daily and it doesn't seem to even look like shortly after. i'm beginning to regret allowing him on my sofa as it's crazy harry (i try to keep a blanket on his spot but it gets shifted and my sofa becomes furry :( ) i have a good vacuum but geesh. :crazy:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i have fed him surf n turf. i do have a couple bags of the porkchop/applesauce and whitefish/potato but those are for my choco lab. i was sticking with the grain free for Bullet. i check our pollen count often and right now it's on the 'low medium' scale. i haven't tried cleaning his paws when he comes in from outside but i should start to see if that helps too. not sure but the shedding is killing me. i brush and comb him most daily and it doesn't seem to even look like shortly after. i'm beginning to regret allowing him on my sofa as it's crazy harry (i try to keep a blanket on his spot but it gets shifted and my sofa becomes furry :( ) i have a good vacuum but geesh. :crazy:

Sounds like he is blowing his winter coat. If that is the case, it should improve soon! I don't think it is a food issue!

Do you use salmon oil???? If not, you must!!! So great for the skin and coat....

OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
hey [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], where do you pick up salmon oil? i know i've seen it brought up but never really looked into it. how often/much do you give it to your bullies?

thanks for the info...it's MUCH appreciated! :D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm a bit late answering to this as most of what I would have said is already on here!! Surf n Turf has some chicken in it - just for your information - so if Bullet has some allergies to chicken then your best choice is the Beef Frittata as it is chicken and grain free.

If it's dry skin I too was going to suggest the salmon oil, which is also supposed to reduce shedding. We like the Grizzly Pet Products salmon oil and we order from www.BetterHealthInternational as that is the cheapest place to get it from. It is getting warmer here in Ohio too, so I've noticed that the two bullies and the lab are all shedding a lot more. Getting rid of that winter coat!!

And of course it may very well be allergies too!! :confused:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] BetterHealthInternational sell the 32oz for $22.94. You do get free shipping on orders over $100, but if not it will be $4.99 - so a total of $27.93.

With seven dogs .... it comes down to price!! :eek:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I usually have coupon code for CPP too so I get it for less price depending on the code. Last one she had a 25% off for Dozers birthday. So it was an excellent price!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Really? Hmmm... maybe each time I order I'll check out both places and which has the best offer at the time!! :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.