brendaa

May 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mosa
Hey, my english bulldog lately has been scratching so much. She's only 5 months old. I'm not sure what to do, I really think she has a food allergy, but I'm not sure what type of food will help her get better. I had her on Royal Canin, but she didn't really like it, then I went to holistic select salmon flavor, and thats when she started to scratch so much. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do because she has left scratches on her face, and I'm worried. :ashamed:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey, my english bulldog lately has been scratching so much. She's only 5 months old. I'm not sure what to do, I really think she has a food allergy, but I'm not sure what type of food will help her get better. I had her on Royal Canin, but she didn't really like it, then I went to holistic select salmon flavor, and thats when she started to scratch so much. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do because she has left scratches on her face, and I'm worried. :ashamed:

2 things.....WELCOME!!!! And...like all members will tell you, get her off RC! Really really NOT good! Loaded of grains!!! Get her on Acana, orijen or fromm. Since she's young, Acana comes with one protein so once a month do different bag of protein so you can eliminate what protein doesn't work for het. Maybe she'll be good on all. At least you will know. Give her probiotics, turmeric n ginger in her food. Just tiny bit. Keep us posted!!! Again Welcome! We also like photos!!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
As stated, switch to a better food. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] has you covered!

And yes...we want pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also can try one of the dehydrated raw dog foods that is rated suitable for all life stages, eg. Honest Kitchen Spruce, or Grandma Lucy's Artisan .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Also can try one of the dehydrated raw dog foods that is rated suitable for all life stages, eg. Honest Kitchen Spruce, or Grandma Lucy's Artisan .

Just bought Spot Farm. Like honest kitchen.

HKP you make 29lbs 75 $ plus $50 of meat for a month to add.... SF 32lbs but it has the protein in it @ $79

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm interested in the Spot Farm as well. Where did you buy that in Canada? The Honest Kitchen base mixes aren't suitable for puppies though, just adults. You need to choose Honest Kitchen complete foods with proteins that are described as being suitable for all life stages.

Just bought Spot Farm. Like honest kitchen.

HKP you make 29lbs 75 $ plus $50 of meat for a week to add.... SF 32lbs but it has the protein in it @ $79

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I just got some Goat Sojo's for a variety... I looked up Spot farms dehydrated but I don't see any???

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Got it at pet value. Duke is still on acana puppy. I mix a bit of HKP with a protein. Either beef or turkey. I have to calculate the protein. He will stay on acana puppy for a while. Also, once a while he still gets raw as the breeder gave him raw n tripe.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The Spot Farms product looks pretty good, and seems like it could be a lot cheaper than some of the other US brands of dehydrated food in Canada. I might give it a try if the Grand Cru doesn't work out for my dog. Interestingly enough I typed Spot Farm instead of Spot Farms in the dogfoodadvisor search engine, and an article about the shocking truth about commercial dog food popped up. The Shocking Truth About Commercial Dog Food Shocking how the pet food industry uses a lot of waste products in dog food. Be particularly careful not to use dog foods containing vaguely worded ingredients such as:
Animal by-product meal
Meat by-product meal
Animal fat

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It sounds like the salmon doesn't agree with her. There are good grain free foods available (and they don't all cost a fortune) and it may be trial and error as to what proteins she can eat. Check the food list on here or check dogfoodadvisor.com. It is an excellent source of information and you should feed at the least a '4 star' food. I would also start with common proteins (Duck, Lamb, Turkey for example) before going to the novel proteins such as Bison or Venison. Good luck!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I just checked out Spot Farms and the second ingredient is dried potatoes. That would be a no go for us. That's too bad.

They have different kinds I didn't check the others as Nyala does well with turkey. Im lucky she just eats anything now as she was introduced with everything since a pup. Very long process but worth it down the road. Why I always suggest one protein a month.
But you're right, not for every dog. She's still young, who knows down the road what her system might reject. So far so good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.