my puppy has pneumonia

Brooksy

May 23, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
HI All,

my baby bulldog Layla is 11 weeks old, and has had pneumonia for 2 weeks now, and has been on antibiotics for almost 2 weeks. I have seen many sad stories and pictures about puppies not surviving, but want to know if there are many success stories out there?? She seemed to be getting better after about 10 days on the antibiotics, but after having a semi-active weekend, she is all congested and junky sounding again. any advice? should she just be kept in a small area so not able to run around and recover, or is it ok to be active? any suggestions or stories would be appreciated.

thank you,
Brooksy and Layla

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Haven't had a dog with pneumonia, so no personal experience, but I'll give my 2 cents anyways :) You don't want her too active. Try building up her immune system with some good doggie probiotics like Proviable DC, Herbsmith Microflora Plus, or Nutrience Probiotic Miracle. You can also give echinacea tincture 12 drops 3 times a day for 2 weeks. You can give 1/4 tsp turmeric with 6 grinds of pepper grinder as well. I've also read that olive leaf extract is useful, but haven't tried it. I have given my dog powdered colostrum to try to lessen her allergies, without much success, but supposedly it's good for immune system as well.

OP
B

Brooksy

May 23, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
great, I will....thanks

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
No experience either but I would definitely give a good probiotic while she is on the antibiotic.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HI All,

my baby bulldog Layla is 11 weeks old, and has had pneumonia for 2 weeks now, and has been on antibiotics for almost 2 weeks. I have seen many sad stories and pictures about puppies not surviving, but want to know if there are many success stories out there?? She seemed to be getting better after about 10 days on the antibiotics, but after having a semi-active weekend, she is all congested and junky sounding again. any advice? should she just be kept in a small area so not able to run around and recover, or is it ok to be active? any suggestions or stories would be appreciated.

thank you,
Brooksy and Layla

Otheres have given great info... also try keeping her in the bathroom with the hot water running to stema up the room... at night use a vaporisor to near her crate to help her breath.
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor little Layla - I hope she will soon be feeling better. I have no experience of pneumonia in dogs but know from personal experience that it's essential to get the right type of antibiotics. If she's been on antibiotics for two weeks and is still not well from the pneumonia could it be that the antibiotics does not help against the infection she has got? I think you should talk to your vet. Two weeks on antibiotics sounds like a long time to me and that she got better after ten days doesn't seem like the antibiotics helped - perhaps dogs are different from humans but in people you would see improvement much faster with the right antibiotics.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The most common dog antibiotic these days is amoxicillin/clavulanic acid - works for both pneumonias and skin infections. Just finished giving my dog 5 days of that for a torn off claw. Your dog should probably go on that one if she hasn't already, or cefuroxime is another good one.

Poor little Layla - I hope she will soon be feeling better. I have no experience of pneumonia in dogs but know from personal experience that it's essential to get the right type of antibiotics. If she's been on antibiotics for two weeks and is still not well from the pneumonia could it be that the antibiotics does not help against the infection she has got? I think you should talk to your vet. Two weeks on antibiotics sounds like a long time to me and that she got better after ten days doesn't seem like the antibiotics helped - perhaps dogs are different from humans but in people you would see improvement much faster with the right antibiotics.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
All the others have given great advice, Steaming does wonders, when Ellie had kennel cough, I kept the steam vaporizer on her crate the complete time she was in there, REST is good!! Also, try doing coupage, which is cupping the hand and then firmly patting her sides a couple times of day after steaming, this will help break up the junk and get her to cough it out.

Agreed, if she is not improving get that baby back for new meds, what did the vet prescribe if i might ask??

The 1st time these things happy it is scary, but hang in there, she will get better!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My Harlea had it as a pup and lucky for us we caught it early and she recovered nicely. Typical course of action is rest, meds and steam to help loosen up everything in their chest. As others have said if you don't have a vaporizer that you can put near them turn on a hot shower and let the steam from that do it's work a few times a day. Depending on the severity it can take a few days to a few weeks to clear up.

OP
B

Brooksy

May 23, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
thanks, i'll look when I get home, but I think one may be clavaulanic acid.

- - - Updated - - -

i'll check when I get home and let you know. she goes back to the vet on Friday. thank you!!!

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
thanks, i'll look when I get home, but I think one may be clavaulanic acid.

- - - Updated - - -

i'll check when I get home and let you know. she goes back to the vet on Friday. thank you!!!

How is Ms Layla doing today?!?! :)

Please keep us posted, Me and Ellie are worry warts:nervous:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17187]Brooksy[/MENTION] You have been given good advice here! Rest,meds, and vaporizer,steam shower, are the advice. Prayer for your pup is also being given. Please let us know how you all are doing!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying for you Sweet Layla for a Speedy Recovery. Love To You Sweet Girl.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.