Looking for advice, helpful hints etc for a bulldog with seizure disorder

Jdavis

Aug 23, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bugsy
Hi All!
We have a 2 yr old MN chunk of love named Bugsy, who has been diagnosed with seizure disorder. The seizures started approx 1-3 months apart but since then have increased in frequency. Our vet ( who I work for also) started him on Zonisemide, which helped briefly i guess. April was a bad month for this poor dog, seizuring way more than once a month and even having some partials. Dr then added in Potassium Bromide and we added in 30mg of CBD treats to try to get this boy under control. Everything seemed to have been going fine, no seizure for 4 weeks! Until this past weekend when he had a seizure on the 21st and a partial seizure just this AM. I'm wondering if maybe the cleaning products i used to clean my shower ( he was not in the bathroom with me, but in the vicinity) or what i used to mop my floor could be a trigger for him? My vet is knowledgeable, although bulldogs are not is specialty, and we are not comfortable with just throwing in more medication. We would like to get this under control, whether it's a different medication or diet change whatever.. ANYTHING to stop this boy from having seizures... so I thought i would ask some people who have this breed and are familiar. Anybody out there have similar experience? Would a raw diet benefit him?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

We have a few members with babies that have epilepsy.
@Libra926 - her Vegas has had it for almost 9 years now. Cheryl kept a blog of Vegas experience... if you search this sight for epilepsy, I am sure you find many of her threads and blogs.
@JeannieCO -- her Emma is going on 3 or 4 years now [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] -- his boy has been getting them for about a year now

They are a wealth of knowledge and will be along shortly to give you some insight.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
welcome and I'm sure sorry for whats going on.. My shih Tzu was very sensitive to rosemary which is nice for most, but for her would cause or allow? more seizures. It's in a lot of dog foods. So long as I kept a good eye on her not getting any, she did much better (never put on other meds) but!!!!!!!! if when driving I would go over the bumps on the side of the highway that are to alert you to going off the road,,, she would seizure.. So for her, rosemary and over excitement, and road bumps were my cautions. I'm sure that info given already is going to help bunches!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hey there. First off.... was he diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy? If he was, no matter what you do, nothing will stop them. Vegas was diagnosed when he was 10 months old with idiopathic epilepsy and he will be 10 years old on 8/4/17. It's a miracle that he is still with us, but they lead a healthy and happy life as long as they are cared for. Every 3 to 6 weeks he has grand mal seizures and I know Emma is basically the same way. Nothing we do can stop them. We just prepare ourselves and our home to deal with them. Have the medication on hand to assist in case of an emergency and we learn all we can to help those with questions.

With that being said, any question you have... I can try and answer. I'm here for you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ditto to what Cheryl said. There were no triggers that I could pin down with my German Shepherd. Best of luck to you,as I know it is heartbreaking. Cheryl has been amazing with Vegas.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.