Thread: I need help, Samson has had diarrhea for a couple days

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default I need help, Samson has had diarrhea for a couple days

Samson threw up several times last week. I know sometimes dogs just throw up so if it happens once then whatever but when it happens several times I do a bland diet and gave him pedialtye for a couple days which I did do last week. After that everything seemed good. He seems to get sick to his stomach like that probably once a year, after a bland diet and pedilyte he is normally good to go. Now this week it's been diarrhea for the last couple days. I added pumpkin to help firm up his poo and it has only seemed to help a little bit. Before it was not solid at all, now it seems half solid half loose/liquidy poo. The food isn't different and it's not from a super new bag where it could be blamed on being bad. What should I do now? Should I be worried? We planned on going to the vet tomorrow for the pups annual parasite/heartworm testing, Sunday is the special pricing day for routine stuff so it's not for an actual appointment. I guess if it is some parasite issue we would find out tomorrow. He is in good spirits, eating and drinking fine. I don't know what to do now, back to a bland diet???? Help!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I need help, Samson has had diarrhea for a couple days

he could have some type of worms or even coccidia. Chaos had cociddia and had loose soft stools but after 4 days of meds he was fine! Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well his test tomorrow "includes analysis for heartworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, giardia, and coccidia. We highly recommend a complete parasite program for the health and safety of you and your pets. This test includes a stoolexam and blood test." So if it's that I will know tomorrow.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a great plan! Has he been anywhere lately? Any puddles he could have drank out of?? I am sure you know why I ask this cuz you are in Chino hills, right? Please let us know right away! Glad giardia is on that list!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Time to get to the vet for a fecal - they'll get to the bottom of it because it sounds like he's picked something up. Poor fella.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Lucy-licious

Or poor baby i'd go back on the bland diet as well until you get the results from the stool testing.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

I actually thought more of him eating something....like a piece of bone, plastic etc... The only reason I thought of this was that would make sense that is bothered him first in the stomach, then as it passed in the bowels. Just a thought.

I hope he feels better real fast.

Always with me

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Sounds like a great plan! Has he been anywhere lately? Any puddles he could have drank out of?? I am sure you know why I ask this cuz you are in Chino hills, right? Please let us know right away! Glad giardia is on that list!
    I too am glad to see Giardia on the list.

Now I'm going to suggest something I think all medicine cabinets should have. It was mentioned to me when my own pup was suffering from coccidia that she picked up from the dog show the breeder had placed her in prior to my picking her up. The dog show was at a quaint farm setting...with a pond. But she had had loose stools for almost two months...straight! Something that can happen when a dog catches a parasite it can damage the lining to the intestines...and it also destroys the good cultures that their body has. Now this was actually her second option. The first was FortiFlora which my vet did have. And we went that route. But she said this stuff gives similar results and is cheaper. [We had been dealing with it for to long so I went with the FortiFlora...first day on it she had firm poo!] But the FortiFlora is actual LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES...And it helped her bounce back. And after months of loose stools. I still can appreciate a firm deposit in the back yard.

https://www.conklin.com/cart/itemDet...rentSKU=037986
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

No help here but I hope Samson is doing better soon. Poor boy!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Saw this thread just now, how's Samson doing? Did the vet determine anything?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Good memory @desertskybulldogs, technically I live in Chino but Chino Hills is next door and I have taken him to a park in Chino Hills in the last couple weeks. Not the same park that was mentioned in that story we heard on here though of the pups drinking from the puddle and getting giardia. And I would never have let him drink out of any random puddle, or community water bowl or anything like that. We are gettting ready to leave for the vet here in the next half hour or so. Will probably be there forever because everyone goes Sunday for the special pricing day. He pooed this morning and it was still loose but it is continuing to get a bit firmer everytime. Hopefully thats a good sign. And he is still his normal self, eating, drinking normal, happy as ever. I am pretty sure he didn't eat anything weird, my house is puppy proof and I have already went thru enough incidents with him eating weird things like whole toys that I am super careful! I'll give you all an update when we get home from the vet.

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Well...fingers and toes crossed you figure this thing out. Though...awhile back. Our community was having a virus that was affecting the dogs. With loose stool and no parasite. It ran it's course...but he got anti-diarrehea pills. Which helped out a bit... We don't do dog parks...actually...there isn't any around us.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads