I need help, Samson has had diarrhea for a couple days

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson threw up several times last week. I know sometimes dogs just throw up so if it happens once then whatever but when it happens several times I do a bland diet and gave him pedialtye for a couple days which I did do last week. After that everything seemed good. He seems to get sick to his stomach like that probably once a year, after a bland diet and pedilyte he is normally good to go. Now this week it's been diarrhea for the last couple days. I added pumpkin to help firm up his poo and it has only seemed to help a little bit. Before it was not solid at all, now it seems half solid half loose/liquidy poo. The food isn't different and it's not from a super new bag where it could be blamed on being bad. What should I do now? Should I be worried? We planned on going to the vet tomorrow for the pups annual parasite/heartworm testing, Sunday is the special pricing day for routine stuff so it's not for an actual appointment. I guess if it is some parasite issue we would find out tomorrow. He is in good spirits, eating and drinking fine. I don't know what to do now, back to a bland diet???? Help!

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well his test tomorrow "includes analysis for heartworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, giardia, and coccidia. We highly recommend a complete parasite program for the health and safety of you and your pets. This test includes a stoolexam and blood test." So if it's that I will know tomorrow.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a great plan! Has he been anywhere lately? Any puddles he could have drank out of?? I am sure you know why I ask this cuz you are in Chino hills, right? Please let us know right away! Glad giardia is on that list!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Time to get to the vet for a fecal - they'll get to the bottom of it because it sounds like he's picked something up. Poor fella.

L

Lucy-licious

Or poor baby :hug: i'd go back on the bland diet as well until you get the results from the stool testing.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I actually thought more of him eating something....like a piece of bone, plastic etc... The only reason I thought of this was that would make sense that is bothered him first in the stomach, then as it passed in the bowels. Just a thought.

I hope he feels better real fast.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Sounds like a great plan! Has he been anywhere lately? Any puddles he could have drank out of?? I am sure you know why I ask this cuz you are in Chino hills, right? Please let us know right away! Glad giardia is on that list!

I too am glad to see Giardia on the list.

Now I'm going to suggest something I think all medicine cabinets should have. It was mentioned to me when my own pup was suffering from coccidia that she picked up from the dog show the breeder had placed her in prior to my picking her up. The dog show was at a quaint farm setting...with a pond. But she had had loose stools for almost two months...straight! Something that can happen when a dog catches a parasite it can damage the lining to the intestines...and it also destroys the good cultures that their body has. Now this was actually her second option. The first was FortiFlora which my vet did have. And we went that route. But she said this stuff gives similar results and is cheaper. [We had been dealing with it for to long so I went with the FortiFlora...first day on it she had firm poo!] But the FortiFlora is actual LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES...And it helped her bounce back. And after months of loose stools. I still can appreciate a firm deposit in the back yard.

https://www.conklin.com/cart/itemDetail.cfm?pline=02&cline=03&parentSKU=037986

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Saw this thread just now, how's Samson doing? Did the vet determine anything?

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Good memory [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], technically I live in Chino but Chino Hills is next door and I have taken him to a park in Chino Hills in the last couple weeks. Not the same park that was mentioned in that story we heard on here though of the pups drinking from the puddle and getting giardia. And I would never have let him drink out of any random puddle, or community water bowl or anything like that. We are gettting ready to leave for the vet here in the next half hour or so. Will probably be there forever because everyone goes Sunday for the special pricing day. He pooed this morning and it was still loose but it is continuing to get a bit firmer everytime. Hopefully thats a good sign. And he is still his normal self, eating, drinking normal, happy as ever. I am pretty sure he didn't eat anything weird, my house is puppy proof and I have already went thru enough incidents with him eating weird things like whole toys that I am super careful! I'll give you all an update when we get home from the vet.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Well...fingers and toes crossed you figure this thing out. Though...awhile back. Our community was having a virus that was affecting the dogs. With loose stool and no parasite. It ran it's course...but he got anti-diarrehea pills. Which helped out a bit... We don't do dog parks...actually...there isn't any around us.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hope Samson feels better soon ... it does sound like a parasite! Will wait to hear your news when you get back ... :heart:

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well just got back about 30 minutes ago. Place was a zoo but like I said before that was expected. Both of my pups are parasite, worm and heartworm free. Totally negative for all that and I confirmed before and after the test that giardia and coccidia was included, they told me it definitely was. Well at this point I think I am going to do the bland diet and give him some pedialyte, if it doesn't go away in the next couple days we will go back again. His poos have been firming up more and more but it has been slowly which is why I have been worried. Thank you all for your help and advice, love you guys!!!!! :hug:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Yea Samson, a healthy boy :up:...now to just firm up his :poo: and your home free!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.