Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK this is really weird...

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default OK this is really weird...

As most of you know, Wally has been a mess... he has a double ear infection (which I had packed last week) he is gaining weight and losing his hair. My vet is in a transition faze to a mobile unit, so she is going to check his thyroid in a week when her meds come in. I have him on a regime of benadryl and melatonin every night to combat the allergies and hair loss till we get his blood checked. WELL he still has that interdigital cyst, I guess it never really went away or I stopped the treatment too soon. NOW Willow has one... she has NO allergy signs except now she's chewing her paws. The really weird part is that the HOA for some unknown reason decided to treat my yard w/some pellets (for weeds) but I already have a contract w/Lawn Doctor and they have already treated my yard once. When Lawn Doctor sprays I keep the dogs in for at least several hours until the grass is dried, but I didn't even know the damn HOA treated my yard because I was out of town and my MIL was keeping the dogs. So I have NO idea how long the dogs were let out in this crap...

Ugh... I started the soaking of the paws in epsom salt and I'm putting vetericyn on them last night. Has anyone noticed cysts related to lawn treatments? Seems so weird and coincidental that Willow would have a breakout too...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: OK this is really weird...

@ddnene So far I have never had this problem-my grass is not my priority, but both children and animals have been known to have reactions to such things. Better tell them no pellets-what if they eat them? Mine would. Hope the "kids" heal up fast!
    "
    It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @ddnene So far I have never had this problem-my grass is not my priority, but both children and animals have been known to have reactions to such things. Better tell them no pellets-what if they eat them? Mine would. Hope the "kids" heal up fast!
    Well unfortunately we live in a subdivision w/an HOA... so they want everyone's grass to look good. Last year I only had them do the front yard, but this year the weeds got out of control in the back. I have never had an issue w/lawn sprays as long as I let it get good and dry beforehand... just seems so weird that they BOTH now have cysts.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I'd lean more towards allergies than a reactions to something in the lawn. I'd think that if it were a reaction to lawn it would be more of a rash? Or breakout? We have been soaking Tyson's paws in Hibiclens - diluted of course. I find it to work well in combo with the Epsom. Like alternate days, not both in one day.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

7. Likes 2BullyMama, ddnene liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Harvey was aggressively licking his pads and I saw it was really pink.

Went to the vet along with his annual checkup. He recommended Cytopoint injection and Apoquel.

Opted for Apoquel - So far it has been working.
    Hug your bully today

9. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

ok, first, I'm so sure sorry for your guy going through even more crap o la!!!!! and,,,, I surly wonder about the yard being treated as, my yard is never treated, and full of 'mowed' weeds/dandylions, grass mixture, and hank is fine. I go up to a well maintained (hoa type thing) and do long walks on all this soft lush grass (probably treated) and he comes home with interdigital cysts... sooooooooooooooooo??? what does that mean? I'm not sure but he runs all over in this raggedy country ole' I would think rough on his feet' yard and is fine, and goes onto the lush grass and walla,,, issue! Back to the soaking and spraying!! So, guess I'm saying, it 'seems' to me that the 'treating' of the yard could cause???

11. Likes ddnene liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Well unfortunately we live in a subdivision w/an HOA... so they want everyone's grass to look good. Last year I only had them do the front yard, but this year the weeds got out of control in the back. I have never had an issue w/lawn sprays as long as I let it get good and dry beforehand... just seems so weird that they BOTH now have cysts.
    I think it is more of the allergy related to the environment.... if it was the weeding pellets, I think like Jessica said it would be more redness and a rash like breakout. But, we could be wrong.

I would maybe try Zrytec or Claritin for them... see if it helps or ask your vet about the CADI (cytopoint) shot.... no side effects and it is working awesome for Lambeau. No hotspots, paw licking or itching.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

13. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I'd lean more towards allergies than a reactions to something in the lawn. I'd think that if it were a reaction to lawn it would be more of a rash? Or breakout? We have been soaking Tyson's paws in Hibiclens - diluted of course. I find it to work well in combo with the Epsom. Like alternate days, not both in one day.
    Where do you get Hibiclens? Lord it was a battle to do the epson salt Lol

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Where do you get Hibiclens? Lord it was a battle to do the epson salt Lol
    Usually anywhere... CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart. Should be near the alcohol, or first aid. Be sure you dilute it well.
    -18344-jpg

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

16. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I think it is more of the allergy related to the environment.... if it was the weeding pellets, I think like Jessica said it would be more redness and a rash like breakout. But, we could be wrong.

I would maybe try Zrytec or Claritin for them... see if it helps or ask your vet about the CADI (cytopoint) shot.... no side effects and it is working awesome for Lambeau. No hotspots, paw licking or itching.
    It's just weird because Wally has allergy signs... red face, ear infections, and now the cysts. Willow has NOTHING but the cysts?!! I may have to do the shot for Wallygator...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Usually anywhere... CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart. Should be near the alcohol, or first aid. Be sure you dilute it well.
    -18344-jpg
    Oh ok, Thank you... I will get some tomorrow!!!

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Willow seems more like Banks... she just wanted to sleep when her allergies kicked in... Nitschke and Lambeau show it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

20. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Willow seems more like Banks... she just wanted to sleep when her allergies kicked in... Nitschke and Lambeau show it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OH they seem a LOT alike... Willow is a handful I will give you that

22. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads