Semi-Freaking Out

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Have you tried the wrapper on both side of the ear? (While he's sleeping so he doesn't see what you're doing) I would try it, then do it again but further. Like is it one death ear or both. I would try every which way to eliminate the list while waiting to see the vet. But that's me. Just a thought.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Any news? Did the vet call you back yet?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
All my prayers are with you and TyTy-I hope you know that. I can hear your heart pounding from here. [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] - ya we tried both sides we believe one side is worse than the other.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] - no she didn't call me back, I was upset but when I called back to follow up on the message I left her the girl up front said they had multiple emergencies yesterday and then their AC went out. She said it was a hectic day. So I can't blame her per say she's usually amazing about getting back with me. I guess I'll hear from her Tuesday. She's off til then.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]
Yes, I don't know why it's affecting me so much. I feel horrible. I've been reading that the medication for ears (momentax) causes hearing loss. I never knew that and he's used it before with no issues. If that's what caused this, it was my fault bc I put it in his ears [emoji30][emoji25]

Anyway I know I have to wait it out. I've read every article and post I could find, my eyes hurt. Some say hearing came back, and took a few weeks, others say it never returned. He can hear a bit, we just have to be loud, so at least it's not 100% deaf. [emoji27]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Please take it easy [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]- It is nothing that you did, and if you stress out too much,you will transfer that to Ty. I was,and still am a wreck sometimes,but it actually never helped anything-except gave ME ulcers. Don't forget we all :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:you and TYTy! Have a glass of Margherita's!!! :drink:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, you have done everything right, and I'm absolutely sure Tyson knows that! But he probably doesn't know that his hearing is not perfect right now so best procedure is probably to follow normal routines at home and just make sure you don't startle him if he doesn't hear you coming into the room, for instance.

I googled Swedish websites for sudden loss of hearing in dogs, and on a dog forum there was a chow dog owner who described something similar. The vet couldn't see any major problems in the ear but she had also checked the dog's mouth and discovered that a tooth had a fracture - and tooth fracture pain can spread to the ear and affect the dog's hearing. That dog got antibiotics and then the tooth was removed (surgically, as it was a back tooth). Hopefully Tyson's teeth are fine but if the vet didn't check his mouth you could perhaps ask her if this can cause loss of hearing.

Thinking of you and Tyson!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@helsonwheels - ya we tried both sides we believe one side is worse than the other.
@ddnene - no she didn't call me back, I was upset but when I called back to follow up on the message I left her the girl up front said they had multiple emergencies yesterday and then their AC went out. She said it was a hectic day. So I can't blame her per say she's usually amazing about getting back with me. I guess I'll hear from her Tuesday. She's off til then.
@Manydogs
Yes, I don't know why it's affecting me so much. I feel horrible. I've been reading that the medication for ears (momentax) causes hearing loss. I never knew that and he's used it before with no issues. If that's what caused this, it was my fault bc I put it in his ears [emoji30][emoji25]

Anyway I know I have to wait it out. I've read every article and post I could find, my eyes hurt. Some say hearing came back, and took a few weeks, others say it never returned. He can hear a bit, we just have to be loud, so at least it's not 100% deaf. [emoji27]

WHAT?!! That is insane... why would they ever prescribe the meds in the first place?!! You are a GREAT bully mom, so don't for one second take the blame on this... you need to wait and see how he does.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION].... how is our boy?

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying for Sweet TyTY and his Mom. Sending Loads of Love and Prayers for a Speedy Recovery for Mr. Tyson, and his hearing is all back to normal again.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION].... how is our boy?

Hey there. Sorry for late reply. He's good, the same. I wish I could say I see improvement but he's the same [emoji17]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey there. Sorry for late reply. He's good, the same. I wish I could say I see improvement but he's the same [emoji17]

[emoji29]

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm sorry for your woes, your sad heart over this :( Hon, it's going to be ok... It's pain we don't want them to have,,,, and, for fun, I would start working with simple sign language with him just incase things get worse.. I kind of do that with all mine anyway so I wont feel so bad when the time comes... Is that wrong??,,, I dunno, but it has worked for me even when I haven't had to use it, it was still something fun to do with them. and a great form of communication..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would be curious to know if dogs can get Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL). In humans, for absolutely no reason, you wake up and whammm you just lost your hearing. Nothing is proven anywhere why we humans get that. It's a tiny tumor, NO not that kind of tumor more like a mass that's not dangerous in the inner ear that breaks. You can lose all hearing or partial. Often tinnitus will kick in too. Dogs are the only animal that will get the exact diseases as the human. Makes you think. A good vet check should know. Plz let us know what she says.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Did they vet ever call you back? Oh honey, I'm so sorry... but don't give up hope yet!!!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Did they vet ever call you back? Oh honey, I'm so sorry... but don't give up hope yet!!!
No, she hasn't. I went ahead and set up another appointment for tomorrow. I want his ears re-checked. He's been shaking his head a little, and last time she said she couldn't see all the way in because of the meds, so by now that should have cleared. I made an appt for tomorrow at 12. I want answers, not giving up!

The only thing we can think of is this: He had an infection, I applied the ointment, which is considered a toxin (throw it away if you have it) and that ruptured his ear drum. Everything I've read says a ruptured drug causes temporary hearing loss. Most say the hearing comes back once it heals, but there are a small amount that don't. I need her to look at his ears again to see if she can see the drum area now. I don't believe that he just loses his hearing in the matter of one day, and if our theory is correct, it makes sense (the hearing loss).

Members online

No members online now.