ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jessica, I'm just NOW reading this... I had an extremely crazy day yesterday.

Wallygator as you already know has ear issues, in fact I just had his ears packed last week. His hearing is impaired as well, I come thru the door and sometimes I have to almost touch him before her realizes we are home. I have allergy issues as well, and I can tell you that half of the time I can't hear... there is SO much pressure and drainage it makes it difficult to hear anything. I think that for Wally the combination of ear packing, benadryl and melatonin is turning him into a zombie sometimes. Remember that most allergy meds can really make you sleepy...

I think that for Tyson this is just a temporary thing... I would think that if his ear drum had ruptured he would try to rub his ear, or you would notice blood. At least that is how it is for humans...

PLEASE don't feel bad about his ears, I give Wally a good check over at least once a week and his ears can turn on a dime. This spring has been the worst for our area because of all the continuous rain.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Jess,I am praying for Ty,that he regains his hearing. This could have been coming on gradually-and not really noticable until now. If necessary,you can adjust to it. I have had deaf dogs,blind dogs,and blind AND deaf dogs. It's harder on the pawrents,but the dogs always adjust! I know you would love him just the same. My dogs can hear just fine-but they don't listen anyway-so that is really worse-NO excuse!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Morning All.... so update. We are seeing "some" improvement, its minor but I'll take it. Here's the odd part...... it seems he can hear us (our voices) & Daddy's whistle better than yesterday.......... but if you rattle a wrapper by his ear, he can't hear it. I don't know if different sounds have different tones?

I love you all for thinking of us, I am praying that as the days pass with the steroids it will gradually come back. Of course if it doesn't - that means nothing. He will be loved regardless, you all know that. But I'm being hopeful, and leaning on my faith that God's taking care of it. I'm happy he's not completely deaf...

I'll give him his 2nd dose of steroid this afternoon. I am 100% sure that he has not had gradual hearing loss prior to Wednesday. The boy has amazing hearing... and always has which is why I'm stumped as to what the hell happened.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great to hear he can hear your voices and whistles - that seems more important than mechanical sounds as he won't be out on his own. Keep us updated!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Jessica, I'm just NOW reading this... I had an extremely crazy day yesterday.

Wallygator as you already know has ear issues, in fact I just had his ears packed last week. His hearing is impaired as well, I come thru the door and sometimes I have to almost touch him before her realizes we are home. I have allergy issues as well, and I can tell you that half of the time I can't hear... there is SO much pressure and drainage it makes it difficult to hear anything. I think that for Wally the combination of ear packing, benadryl and melatonin is turning him into a zombie sometimes. Remember that most allergy meds can really make you sleepy...

I think that for Tyson this is just a temporary thing... I would think that if his ear drum had ruptured he would try to rub his ear, or you would notice blood. At least that is how it is for humans...

PLEASE don't feel bad about his ears, I give Wally a good check over at least once a week and his ears can turn on a dime. This spring has been the worst for our area because of all the continuous rain.

I didn't know Wally had hearing issues too. Did the vet say why he couldn't hear well? Inflammation? Fluid?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Good to hear and hopefully it will all come back in the next few... I do know that different tones use different hairs or something so yep, that is possible. I'm glad he can hear your voice as that's what matters most. dang if these loves of ours don't bring us such joy and heart hearts... Prayers for you and your babie

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Good to hear and hopefully it will all come back in the next few... I do know that different tones use different hairs or something so yep, that is possible. I'm glad he can hear your voice as that's what matters most. dang if these loves of ours don't bring us such joy and heart hearts... Prayers for you and your babie
Thank you Jill :) I just called and left a message for the vet so she can explain things to me again. When I was there I was very in the moment, now that I've had a day to process it I wanna talk to her again and see if I can get a better answer.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you Jill :) I just called and left a message for the vet so she can explain things to me again. When I was there I was very in the moment, now that I've had a day to process it I wanna talk to her again and see if I can get a better answer.

omg Jessica,,,, lol, you are so me!!! I am listening so hard that I miss half of it! Even when they write it down, I know they miss stuff cause I know I heart more!!! Anyway,,, Glad you can call. They've gotton used to me doing that and are so kind about it. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Any word back form vet?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I didn't know Wally had hearing issues too. Did the vet say why he couldn't hear well? Inflammation? Fluid?

I haven't taken him back yet, we are going to do a re-check when he get's his thyroid test next week.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
OMG!! Jess and Tyson, I'm just catching up BIG HUGS to you, and I am the SAME EXACT way with all the situations Ellie has had....

How is the Ty man doing tonight??

Members online

No members online now.