Semi-Freaking Out

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yesterday I got home and like any other day, I turned off the alarm, came in through garage door.... yet Tyson wasn't there waiting like normal. I went to look for him and he was sleeping, I actually startled him. He didn't hear me! A week ago I cleaned his ears bc I had seen some brown gunk in them, and keep moving on like nothing. Yesterday his ears were warm, and he was sensitive to me touching them.....

I feel horrible... I should have realized that when I saw the brown gunk it was time to start meds, and it didn't dawn on me. He hasn't been shaking his head or anything. But yesterday after that scenario, we tested him again and he could not hear us at normal tones. He couldn't hear the fridge or a wrapper.... and usually the boy can hear a wrapper from 3 rooms away. Now, if I raised my voice or tone, he could hear us.

I am freaking out, I go straight to the deep end when it comes to Tyson. Please tell me there is no way a dog can lose hearing from one day to the next. Its not fully gone, bc again he can hear us at louder tones. I am thinking (when I try to think logically) that he has an infection and build up of wax and this is causing the temporary hearing loss. I started meds immediately yesteday (Mometamax)and he has an appt today at 2:15.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] @Manydogs

This is me now:

images.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You are on track!!! He should be fine once checked.. allergies are kicking in so the gunk build up is quick to happen.

It happened a few times with Banks and once we got it addressed she was good. You might want to do benedryl or something daily during high allergy season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You are on track!!! He should be fine once checked.. allergies are kicking in so the gunk build up is quick to happen.

It happened a few times with Banks and once we got it addressed she was good. You might want to do benedryl or something daily during high allergy season

Thank you. You know me. LOL Did Banks loose hearing?? Did it come back after they treated? I did give him benadryl yesterday and today. I just feel horrible, bc I'm usually on top of things with him, how did I miss this!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. You know me. LOL Did Banks loose hearing?? Did it come back after they treated? I did give him benadryl yesterday and today. I just feel horrible, bc I'm usually on top of things with him, how did I miss this!

Damn job is distracting you,,, quit that crap! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Banks had it happen during high allergy time... I'm noticing with Lambeau he sleeps HARD now and does not bark when I come in from work... Tuesday, I thought he may have , well you know, he did not move till i opened his crate-- scared the crap out of me as he normally is freaking out as soon as I open the door

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Damn job is distracting you,,, quit that crap! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Banks had it happen during high allergy time... I'm noticing with Lambeau he sleeps HARD now and does not bark when I come in from work... Tuesday, I thought he may have , well you know, he did not move till i opened his crate-- scared the crap out of me as he normally is freaking out as soon as I open the door

Okay, you're making feel a little relief then... my biggest fear was that its gonna be permanent. OMG> that would kill me. He seriously has the best hearing, and I know it can't just poof be gone in one day.

I know its gonna be interesting at the vet, bc he HATES HATES HATES having his ears cleaned/etc. Lord help me. And shoot... if not for him, I could maybe not work. hahahahaa who am I kidding, that boy costs me a small fortune.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, you're making feel a little relief then... my biggest fear was that its gonna be permanent. OMG> that would kill me. He seriously has the best hearing, and I know it can't just poof be gone in one day.

I know its gonna be interesting at the vet, bc he HATES HATES HATES having his ears cleaned/etc. Lord help me. And shoot... if not for him, I could maybe not work. hahahahaa who am I kidding, that boy costs me a small fortune.

Cheli beyond hates his ears cleaned... he actually tries to snap at me when I am done... he is a little $hit head

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Sorry I have not been keeping up lately. It is probably allergy problem with Ty. Perhaps he has some fluid in his ears,When I get that,I hold my nose and sniff in hard,and they "pop". Don't guess he can do that! Calm yourself,girl! You may think you are supermom,but ear problems can come on quick, and you do the best you can,which is VERY GOOD!!! Besides if he was deaf-you would still love him!!:love:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I am going to personally call Cheli, and tell him what you said!!:tapfoot:

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom Sorry I have not been keeping up lately. It is probably allergy problem with Ty. Perhaps he has some fluid in his ears,When I get that,I hold my nose and sniff in hard,and they "pop". Don't guess he can do that! Calm yourself,girl! You may think you are supermom,but ear problems can come on quick, and you do the best you can,which is VERY GOOD!!! Besides if he was deaf-you would still love him!!:love:
No worries, I've been slacking too :(

Of course I would still love him, but I don't want him to fully lose his hearing esp so sudden. I hope its just the mess he has in there and it can clear out with meds :( :*(

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You will be just fine given proper care and attention...Tyson too. Ear infections pop up quickly and if you caught it before he started shaking his head then you are on the ball. Be happy and proud that you found it before it got worse.
Considering Tyson is a senior he probably doesn't hear all that great to begin with. Even the slightest ear infection or wax build up could profoundly diminish his hearing.
Worry not Mom...just take care of business and carry on.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
You will be just fine given proper care and attention...Tyson too. Ear infections pop up quickly and if you caught it before he started shaking his head then you are on the ball. Be happy and proud that you found it before it got worse.
Considering Tyson is a senior he probably doesn't hear all that great to begin with. Even the slightest ear infection or wax build up could profoundly diminish his hearing.
Worry not Mom...just take care of business and carry on.

That's the thing I'm super grateful for, yes.... he's def a senior, but his hearing is amazing. I mean like on Tuesday he could hear me open cheese from the bedroom, lol. I think that's why I immediately worry. I just don't want it to be permanent :( After the meds do what they need to do, I wonder how many days before he'll be able to hear again. Ugh, 2:15 can't come quick enough. And my anxiety is high also bc he hates his ears being touched.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Don't worry-if he WAS deaf, his sense of smell would become amazing and he would still find the cheese!!! Just sayin' ..........

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I am going to personally call Cheli, and tell him what you said!!:tapfoot:

:rofl: i say it to his face all the time 'stop being a little $hit.. you little $hit'. [emoji16]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
:rofl: i say it to his face all the time 'stop being a little $hit.. you little $hit'. [emoji16]

There goes that phone call, Cheli. :cursing:

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh my goodness Jessica you are THE BEST BULLY MOM EVER!!! I'm not experienced enough to give advice on Ty Ty's hearing BUT I know caring, wonderful Mom......and that is YOU! Please keep us updated friend.

Sue and Joey

Members online

No members online now.