Injured dew claw

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
No idea how this happened, but Castor has injured his dew claw, probably by hopping in or out of bed last night. This morning his white chest was all bloody which was a scary but it turned out the blood came from his dew claw. He doesn't seem to worry about it himself - no pain and no incessant licking and it doesn't bleed much now. The pic is blurry but there is a white/pink thing sticking out under the claw which I suppose happened as he tore the claw. Will this heal by itself or do we need to take him to a vet?

IMG_5216.JPG

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Oh no! Poor Castor. I'm glad he doesn't seem to be in any pain. I have no experience with this but just wanted to send positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
No idea how this happened, but Castor has injured his dew claw, probably by hopping in or out of bed last night. This morning his white chest was all bloody which was a scary but it turned out the blood came from his dew claw. He doesn't seem to worry about it himself - no pain and no incessant licking and it doesn't bleed much now. The pic is blurry but there is a white/pink thing sticking out under the claw which I suppose happened as he tore the claw. Will this heal by itself or do we need to take him to a vet?

View attachment 105946

Hmmm is his actual dew claw still in tact and tight? It looks more like a bump to me on the photo. Or is like a cut?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hmmm is his actual dew claw still in tact and tight? It looks more like a bump to me on the photo. Or is like a cut?

The claw (ie the black nail itself) looks just fine. The pink/white thingie is like a piece of tissue sticking out. I suppose he tore the skin and this tissue-like thing is what lies under the skin?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The claw (ie the black nail itself) looks just fine. The pink/white thingie is like a piece of tissue sticking out. I suppose he tore the skin and this tissue-like thing is what lies under the skin?

I'd clean it, and apply some ointment. Maybe neosporin, and give it a few days - if he's a licker you may need to wrap the paw.....but keep an eye on him with that. If he's anything like Tyson, he likes to eat things, LOL. If its just a scrape it should heal up in a day or two. Good news is that the actual dew claw is okay. That's the part that would maybe have to be removed depending on how bad he damaged it. So glad it seems minor! Fingers crossed it already looks better by tomorrow!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'd clean it, and apply some ointment. Maybe neosporin, and give it a few days - if he's a licker you may need to wrap the paw.....but keep an eye on him with that. If he's anything like Tyson, he likes to eat things, LOL. If its just a scrape it should heal up in a day or two. Good news is that the actual dew claw is okay. That's the part that would maybe have to be removed depending on how bad he damaged it. So glad it seems minor! Fingers crossed it already looks better by tomorrow!

Thanks for your advice! We'll clean it again and then put Castor to bed - it's late evening here now!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for your advice! We'll clean it again and then put Castor to bed - it's late evening here now!

Let me know how it looks in the morning!!! Its only 3:30pm here in TX :) Goodnight!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Agreed... looks more like a bump.

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
it looks like the claw is still intact but there's a growth on the side ? Coincidentally I fell on top of my dog two days ago and one of her regular claws got torn off. I took her to vet and he gave her a shot of long acting penicillin and prescribed clavulin for 10 days. Does anyone think that's too long?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
it looks like the claw is still intact but there's a growth on the side ? Coincidentally I fell on top of my dog two days ago and one of her regular claws got torn off. I took her to vet and he gave her a shot of long acting penicillin and prescribed clavulin for 10 days. Does anyone think that's too long?

Usually it's 7 days. Do 7 see what happens. As you know give probiotic throughout the antibiotics.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
That appears to be the quick sticking out of the base of the dewclaw where it has been broken. I fear this needs to be removed by your Vet. The possibility of infection needs to be addressed. That nail will likely not grow back like it is. That's my diagnosis based on the pic provided. More pics showing the orientation of the nail in relation to the whole paw would be very helpful.
I hope I'm incorrect and it will heal quickly on its own.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
That appears to be the quick sticking out of the base of the dewclaw where it has been broken. I fear this needs to be removed by your Vet. The possibility of infection needs to be addressed. That nail will likely not grow back like it is. That's my diagnosis based on the pic provided. More pics showing the orientation of the nail in relation to the whole paw would be very helpful.
I hope I'm incorrect and it will heal quickly on its own.

Thanks. My husband just wondered whether it wasn't the quick sticking out so we'll see how Castor does today. I tried to clean it last night but he pulled away so it probably does hurt - didn't seem like that before. The strange thing is that as far as I can see, the claw itself looks just fine but perhaps it is broken at the base.

He hasn't licked that much yet but if he does, is that really a problem? Isn't animals licking their wounds somehow beneficial for the healing process?

I will try to take better photos today and see how the little man does when he gets up for his morning walk.

Last edited:
OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Let me know how it looks in the morning!!! Its only 3:30pm here in TX :) Goodnight!

Thanks! Now this is EBN in a nutshell - knowing that someone across the globe is thinking of my little furball! :)He's still asleep but we'll see how he does this morning.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo had this to happen to him the first of this year, his whole dew claw came off, the Vet said it would not come back, it has not, I would take Castor to his Vet to be checked out, just to make sure all is ok with his dew claw. Sending Love and Kisses to Castor.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online