Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Tomorrow will be one week since Louie has been home. He poops a lot, which is expected but sometimes it's scoopable and sometimes it's too soft and you have to use a bag. He was on a chicken and rice kibble at the breeders so right now I'm feeding Fromm chicken a la veg and he's getting 2/3 cup three times a day. I also just started to introduce a probiotic in.

Jax is on raw and eventually Louie will probably go to raw as well. I'm planning on trying Grandma Lucy's in a month or so.

Should I cut back on food? Is he still adjusting to his new home? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Tomorrow will be one week since Louie has been home. He poops a lot, which is expected but sometimes it's scoopable and sometimes it's too soft and you have to use a bag. He was on a chicken and rice kibble at the breedet now I'm feeding Fromm chicken a la veg and he's getting 2/3 cup three times a day. I also just started to introduce a probiotic in.
Jax is on raw and eventually Louie will probably go to raw as well. I'm planning on trying Grandma Lucy's in a month or so.
Should I cut back on food? Is he still adjusting to his new home? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Your little Louie is same age as my little Duke. Duke was on raw, tripe n for the free feed throughout the day was Acana chicken . Duke is like either scoupable or extremely soft. I weaned him off raw and now on HK with Puppy Acana chicken. Basically I want both pups eating the same and not 20 different meals to prep. I also give him sauerkraut and pumpkin to control the diarrhea. He is much better than last week. He eats 3.5 cups a day. His HK is split in 3 n he gets 3x 1/2 cup of puppy Acana. I noticed I cant introduce him to new stuff too fast. He ends up with diarrhea. Stay on Louie's breeder's schedule for another week so he gets use to his new life. 2nd week with Duke and I see the difference. I was worried too about bright blood in his stool. Boils down was just stress. New home, new sister, new parents, new backyard et etc. If you want to change his food wait another week or so. Just remove a bit of his kibbles.... NOT all and add raw if that's what your goal is like jax.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Your little Louie is same age as my little Duke. Duke was on raw, tripe n for the free feed throughout the day was Acana chicken . Duke is like either scoupable or extremely soft. I weaned him off raw and now on HK with Puppy Acana chicken. Basically I want both pups eating the same and not 20 different meals to prep. I also give him sauerkraut and pumpkin to control the diarrhea. He is much better than last week. He eats 3.5 cups a day. His HK is split in 3 n he gets 3x 1/2 cup of puppy Acana. I noticed I cant introduce him to new stuff too fast. He ends up with diarrhea. Stay on Louie's breeder's schedule for another week so he gets use to his new life. 2nd week with Duke and I see the difference. I was worried too about bright blood in his stool. Boils down was just stress. New home, new sister, new parents, new backyard et etc. If you want to change his food wait another week or so. Just remove a bit of his kibbles.... NOT all and add raw if that's what your goal is like jax.

Yeah, that's why I'm doing a similar kibble to what the breeder was giving as I didn't want to upset his tummy. I'll keep him on it for a bit longer. I can't switch him to raw just yet as he has cystinuria and raw is too much protein. Once he gets neutered, he can eat whatever. He can eat dehydrated raw which is why I was going to do Grandma Lucy's. I looked at HK but they add synthetic methionine and I need to stay away from that too. I might try a different brand of kibble too, maybe Zignature. But I'll give him a couple more weeks to settle in. Sometimes his poop is good, sometimes not so good.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great plan... he us still settling in so this isn't uncommon

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great plan... he us still settling in so this isn't uncommon

That's what I thought but it's been awhile since I've dealt with puppy poop. I was feeding 3/4 cup three times a day and then went to 2/3 cup three times in case he was eating too much. But it seems to be about the same. Should I go back to 3/4 cup? He's a growing puppy so I want to make sure he's getting enough.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That's what I thought but it's been awhile since I've dealt with puppy poop. I was feeding 3/4 cup three times a day and then went to 2/3 cup three times in case he was eating too much. But it seems to be about the same. Should I go back to 3/4 cup? He's a growing puppy so I want to make sure he's getting enough.

There is a great article on here, can't find it while on phone, but it is 'why my puppy has diarrhea '. Within the article is a great guideline for feeding and age

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
There is a great article on here, can't find it while on phone, but it is 'why my puppy has diarrhea '. Within the article is a great guideline for feeding and age

Found the article. It says 2/3 - 3/4 cup three times a day which is what I am doing. So I guess I am on the right track.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.