phlegm flem chesty in mornings milo 5 months old

everton

Feb 2, 2017
uk gwent wales
Country
wales gwent uk
Bulldog(s) Names
milo
hi. when Milo wakes in the morning he coughs up phlegm and is very chesty, but as the day goes on he is fine- a bit chesty now and again but nothing like in the morning. He is eating and playing fine and we have tried lemon juice, cough syrup, and he has had antibiotics but nothing completly clears it. He is going back to the vet tomorrow to maybe book him in for a scan, any advice on what else we could try? Thanks, Simon and Vicky xxx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be environmental allergies... have you tried giving benedryl or zrytex before bed to see if it helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
everton

everton

Feb 2, 2017
uk gwent wales
Country
wales gwent uk
Bulldog(s) Names
milo
It could be environmental allergies... have you tried giving benedryl or zrytex before bed to see if it helps?

ok thanks

we have not tried it yet but ive got benedryl here how much should i give him hes 5 months old and weight is 13kg thanks

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ok thanks

we have not tried it yet but ive got benedryl here how much should i give him hes 5 months old and weight is 13kg thanks

1mg per pound 2x a day

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
hi. when Milo wakes in the morning he coughs up phlegm and is very chesty, but as the day goes on he is fine- a bit chesty now and again but nothing like in the morning. He is eating and playing fine and we have tried lemon juice, cough syrup, and he has had antibiotics but nothing completly clears it. He is going back to the vet tomorrow to maybe book him in for a scan, any advice on what else we could try? Thanks, Simon and Vicky xxx

When I bought Nyala home at 3 months old, she was doing fine. At 5 months she caught a cold had to be put on antibiotics for 7 days**she had green snots, guk coming out of her nose n eyes 24/7 I have a diffuser ultrasonic ionizer and I decided to do my own mix that I use for my breathing when I get all stuffed up at night. My diffuser is on all day n night. Has a timer. It took 2 days for all to clear Nyala's cold n guk. I put the diffuser towards her kennel while she was sleeping. I swear it worked better and faster than her pills. BUT I still gave her the antibiotics.*Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1/2cup)This was for her nights but you can also use daytime. I leave it all day also so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. Again I have a timer on mine. 3 drops of Eucalyptus 3 drops of Peppermint 3 drops of Lavender 2 drops of Lemon. Oil and water DO NOT mix why you need a diffuser that is ultrasonic ionizer cause the vibration is so fast it breaks the oils in the water.

I can swear by this mix as it truly worked for Nyala. I still do this mix on regular basis asits great fro allergies even for us.

OP
everton

everton

Feb 2, 2017
uk gwent wales
Country
wales gwent uk
Bulldog(s) Names
milo
When I bought Nyala home at 3 months old, she was doing fine. At 5 months she caught a cold had to be put on antibiotics for 7 days**she had green snots, guk coming out of her nose n eyes 24/7 I have a diffuser ultrasonic ionizer and I decided to do my own mix that I use for my breathing when I get all stuffed up at night. My diffuser is on all day n night. Has a timer. It took 2 days for all to clear Nyala's cold n guk. I put the diffuser towards her kennel while she was sleeping. I swear it worked better and faster than her pills. BUT I still gave her the antibiotics.*Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1/2cup)This was for her nights but you can also use daytime. I leave it all day also so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. Again I have a timer on mine. 3 drops of Eucalyptus 3 drops of Peppermint 3 drops of Lavender 2 drops of Lemon. Oil and water DO NOT mix why you need a diffuser that is ultrasonic ionizer cause the vibration is so fast it breaks the oils in the water.

I can swear by this mix as it truly worked for Nyala. I still do this mix on regular basis asits great fro allergies even for us.

just bought a ultrasonic diffuser with timer and also got all the drops just put it on now .see how he goes many thanks for all your help great people on this forum

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hopfully the drops will do the trick... I also love to use these oils! ... One thing that came to mind was, Hank at around 6 months I noticed the same of which you speak. He didn't have snot or anything just sounded chesty and would cough out crap, and then be done with it for the day. It really bothered me and had two vets (one that's now HIS vet .. a bulldog vet) both check him and lungs were clear. Wellllll, he had the soft palate surgery (and nares) and after healing, I noticed he was no longer 'chesty'. Whew! I didn't have it done for that reason and didn't know it would effect him but boy was I ever happy with that extra bonus.!! Just a thought :)

OP
everton

everton

Feb 2, 2017
uk gwent wales
Country
wales gwent uk
Bulldog(s) Names
milo
milo had soft palate surgery today hes staying in vets overnite cant wait to see him hope this cures this problem they vet photo 1010110.jpg told us to wait until the was around 9 months old before they do the surgery , thanks for your help i will keep you posted on this condition :drool:

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
milo had soft palate surgery today hes staying in vets overnite cant wait to see him hope this cures this problem they vetView attachment 107831 told us to wait until the was around 9 months old before they do the surgery , thanks for your help i will keep you posted on this condition :drool:

Thanks for keeping us posted!! Good Luck Milo, We love you!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh good!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you will be so happy that you had it done. I feel like it has given Hank such a better life,, the very most important thing to do when he comes home is keep him quiet for the whole time that is suggested and soft food so as not to irritate.. (ours was 2 weeks, and it was horrible as he wanted so bad tg play) ....They can swell up and its very dangerous so do what you have to do for that time. I have a huge yard but would only take him out on a leash as he wanted to bolt and panting is a huge no no!!! .. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it can happen fast. Otherwise, it's just easy peasy.. Let us know when he's home... and sure be nice to have an update pic ............. when he's feeling better of course ;)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
milo had soft palate surgery today hes staying in vets overnite cant wait to see him hope this cures this problem they vetView attachment 107831 told us to wait until the was around 9 months old before they do the surgery , thanks for your help i will keep you posted on this condition :drool:

Positive thoughts for a quick recovery! keep us posted

OP
everton

everton

Feb 2, 2017
uk gwent wales
Country
wales gwent uk
Bulldog(s) Names
milo
milo doing fine been at the vets for three days after surgery he had some reflux after soft palate surgery but home now also lost a bit of weight but its been 5 days now and hes doing fine only eating soft food cooked chicken at the minute until his throat heals . also had is nostrils widened .total cost in the uk was £1990 but hope we can claim it back off the pet insurance . ive put some pics on to see how is doing . nose.jpgmilo99.jpgsleep after.jpgwales.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Awww, Precious heart make sure he keeps quiet for the next couple of weeks you don't want any panting going on. Thanks for sharing :) i was just about to inquire

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
milo doing fine been at the vets for three days after surgery he had some reflux after soft palate surgery but home now also lost a bit of weight but its been 5 days now and hes doing fine only eating soft food cooked chicken at the minute until his throat heals . also had is nostrils widened .total cost in the uk was £1990 but hope we can claim it back off the pet insurance . ive put some pics on to see how is doing . View attachment 107896View attachment 107897View attachment 107898View attachment 107899

Thanks for the update!! Positive thoughts and prayers fir a quick recovery

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online