Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Busters Has Problems!

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Busters Has Problems!

Thanks for the care credit idea -- I have never heard of that, but I do live in Canada so not sure if it's an option here. I know you weren't saying that I was the type to put him down I just wanted you to know that I wouldn't do that. I know that sometimes people just can't afford these surgeries and such. I just want to make the right choice. I don't want to add to his suffering for no reason. Sometimes I think that getting the palate surgery would be more for me than for him! I will definitely get the leg done if it gives him any more trouble. Bulldogs are so stoic aren't they? I am so sad about what happened to your guy. That sounds horrible. He sounds like he was a real trooper and very strong. When Busters had his first surgery I knew he had to be in pain and he didn't whimper even once!
    Thanks again for all the info and advice.
    Dee & Busters (aka Bustys)

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

@DeeDee
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    Thanks for the care credit idea -- I have never heard of that, but I do live in Canada so not sure if it's an option here. I know you weren't saying that I was the type to put him down I just wanted you to know that I wouldn't do that. I know that sometimes people just can't afford these surgeries and such. I just want to make the right choice. I don't want to add to his suffering for no reason. Sometimes I think that getting the palate surgery would be more for me than for him! I will definitely get the leg done if it gives him any more trouble. Bulldogs are so stoic aren't they? I am so sad about what happened to your guy. That sounds horrible. He sounds like he was a real trooper and very strong. When Busters had his first surgery I knew he had to be in pain and he didn't whimper even once!
    Thanks again for all the info and advice.
    I hope that you can get the Care Credit in Canada...Fingers crossed. For it's a great payment option when looking at a large financial medical bill.

As for Jake...it was sad...but he did live to be 9 yrs. old...he was a BYB dog. We had a medicine cabinet just for him...he had a lot of things go wrong...as Bulldogs are prone to certain ailments...But I never regretted having him part of our lives. IT was sad what happened. And it took me 4 years to get over him and bring another bulldog into our home. He was our first baby...we took him to puppy kindergarten, he past his Canine Good Citizen Test...he was our world. We learned a lot with that dog...

We also learned...Never when the dog barks. Take them with us to investigate... Though...When I think of the neighborhood children. I'm glad it wasn't one of them who had been trampled. For one was chased that day by the same herd of cattle.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

I would recommend joint supplements, you should talk to your vet about that option, instead of going straight into surgery. There are all sorts of joint supplement available over the counter, I give my 3 year old bullie "Osteo Flex" once a day, my vet actually recommended it. Alaskan Salmon oil is also great joints and skin, and heart issues, I also give that to my bullie twice a day. I would say a little exercise would do good in your bullie's situation, how about a brisk short walk? Keeping him crated in my opinion has to be making his joints stiff and sore. Bullies aren't just couch potatoes, they too need a little exercise, but don't let them run like the wind until they are gasping for air, walk him on a leash, it will benefit your bullie in many ways.

As far as the cleft pallett, I have no idea what to recommend, other than two get a second and third opinion from other vets. GOOD LUCK.

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Bully Parent. I totally agree --- walks would be really good for him. He has been stuck in his crate for 6 weeks and gained weight! At this point they say that rest isn't going to help anymore so he can exercise again. I have started taking him for walks and letting him out again and plan to bring him for a puppy playdate soon. That is also one of the reasons why I don't really want to do the palate surgery again ---- it means 3 months of him being in his crate with no toys, blanket, etc! It is the only way to prevent him from chewing. Absolutely nothing is allowed in his mouth during that time other than dog food rolled into mini meatballs and fed one at a time by hand!!! Poor guy!
    Dee & Busters (aka Bustys)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads