Bulldog not acting normal, closing eyes and opening mouth halfway.

blondiegirl18

Apr 26, 2017
Hollywood,California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
moshe
Not sure whats going on with my bully, I believe he has some type of ear infection from the groomers that I took him to. I have been treating it for the past week everyday and tomorrow I will be going to the vet, to see what is going on with him.
Has anyone had a similar experience? When your bully has an ear infection does it lock their jaws and make them uncomfortable? Seems like maybe his ear infection is affecting his mouth? is this normal? help, thank you!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello there and welcome to EBN!!!! Sorry to hear about Moshe's ear issue. Good job going to the vet. Ear infection can affect all the way to the jaws for sure if it's an extremely bad one. Usually you'll have brown guk inside. See what your vet says first. My sister's dog, they thought was the ears ended up was the back teeth.

Ive posted this often and trust me it really works! Keep it on hand for maintenance as EB they need a lot of it! Little recipe. Great for the ears, tail pocket in my case, rashes.

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/Sarah It's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health. Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae (ceder) Fractionated Coconut Oil to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

This link is great for maintenence in near future. Keep it on hand.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Keep us posted on what you vet said!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ear infections can make them extremely uncomfortable... my Wallygator has a mild one now. For normal cleaning I use witch hazel on a cotton pad, and if I see any brown gunk I use this ear cleaner that I got from the vets office. If that doesn't work after a few days I take them to the vets to have their ears packed, it's basically vaseline w/some medicine in there. Usually the packing works, and they just leave it in for a period of time. Let us know what the vet says...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welocme!

And as the others have stated... it is due to pain from the ear infection. We had to have Lambeau at the vet a few times and before he got relief, he would sit and pant with his eyes half open. Our vet used Calero, one time treatment and once it all cleared up... I use 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and witch hazel to clean his ears daily till clear and then weekly as maintenance... no an ear infection since I started doing that routine.

good luck and please keep us posted after going to the vet today

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'd have the vet definitely check the ears, but also check his mouth/gums/teeth.

OP
B

blondiegirl18

Apr 26, 2017
Hollywood,California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
moshe
Thank you to everyone!! You all are so wonderful, I got moshe checked the vet said negative for ear mites but an ear infection! got antibiotics and ear drops! Praying this goes away quickly! I miss my bully when he is feeling good! :) :)

OP
B

blondiegirl18

Apr 26, 2017
Hollywood,California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
moshe
The doctor prescribed Otomax ear drops, and Cephalexin Antibiotics to remove the ear infection. Thank you for everything will keep you all updated!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sounds like ear infection could have gotten into the middle ear as well if he's on cephalexin as well. You have to be careful what you use at this point since his tympanic membrane may be perforated but later after he's well you should keep his ears clean on a maintenance program. Personally I like using Zymox otic drops flooded into the ear and massaged in for an external ear infection and for weekly maintenance but it's really expensive, so the 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and witch hazel sprayed in is good too. I also use a simpler essential oil mixture for in between cleanings if my dogs scratch their ears before the weekly maintenance. My essential oil mixture is 5 drops of oil of cloves and 5 drops of tea tree oil in 2 ounces of witch hazel that I use to wet a round cosmetic pad and wipe the ear out.

By the way, ear drops that the vet prescribes don't work well if the ear is filled with debris, but Zymox works better if you don't clean the ear out first.

QUOTE=blondiegirl18;699302]The doctor prescribed Otomax ear drops, and Cephalexin Antibiotics to remove the ear infection. Thank you for everything will keep you all updated![/QUOTE]

OP
B

blondiegirl18

Apr 26, 2017
Hollywood,California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
moshe
Thank you so much for that explanation! I appreciate it so very much, I will be very careful with what I use. :) All of you are sooo friendly, i appreciate all of your experiences and will keep you all updated :)

OP
B

blondiegirl18

Apr 26, 2017
Hollywood,California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
moshe
Thank you ! My Moshe is feeling better already, he is back at sitting in front of the pantry looking at his snacks! He is also eating his bulldog food! Yaye!!:)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad to hear he's better ! What food do you have him on ? Sometimes food allergies can cause ear infections.

Thank you ! My Moshe is feeling better already, he is back at sitting in front of the pantry looking at his snacks! He is also eating his bulldog food! Yaye!!:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The doctor prescribed Otomax ear drops, and Cephalexin Antibiotics to remove the ear infection. Thank you for everything will keep you all updated!

Great news! He'll be all better soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

blondiegirl18

Apr 26, 2017
Hollywood,California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
moshe
Hello everyone, just an update, Moshe is not doing well, he has severe diarrhea and looks like he is in discomfort, I believe from the strong antibiotics. I will call the vet as soon as they open to see if we can reduce the amount of antibiotic given to him, which is Cephalexin. Prayers needed for my bully Moshe :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.