Diarrhea when taking bully to new places?

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
Hello Bulldog Friends - Ever since Tater was a puppy, whenever we take him to new places, he almost always gets loose stool or diarrhea. I remember the first time we took him into Lowes when he was a young pup he walked around fine for a bit and then all of a sudden pooped in the middle of the isle - very embarrassing but I thought it was just a puppy accident. But then the more places I took him to - say friend's houses or visiting a new park, I noticed he would always poop pretty quickly or get diarrhea. And I basically learned the hard way he can't go into any stores or shops (even though many are dog friendly around me) or he may have an accident. If I just keep him home or take him to work, both of which he's very familiar with, he has normal poos and no accidents so I also don't think the car/driving is upsetting his belly/intestines. It only seems to be when I take him to less familiar places or if he goes on a long walk he'll poop like 3 times, the last of which is almost impossible to actually bag up ����. Other factor- he's friendly with people and likes to be petted and interact before and after his "emergency poops" so I don't necessarily think he hates being in new places - for example, it's not like I'm dragging him to places or that he looks fearful and miserable (where I might imagine a dog might have severe anxiety and loose their bowels like a panic attack). You might say, "why don't you keep him at home then?" but he really seems like to go places and people love him and always want him to come over & he needs activity to be better behaved (or he gets bossy/ antsy) so I'd like to figure out a way to bring him places and not have him get the runs every time! Thanks!! Mr.Potato Pants would give you a hug for reading if he could........ IMG_8692.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is probably just nervousness... even though he is fine getting there he still a little nervous. Maybe give him some pure pumpkin before the next trip and see if it helps...

Myself, if he is enjoying everything, I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
When Jax first started to go to daycare, he'd always come home and gave diarrhea for a day or two. Eventually it stopped but I think it had to do with him being overwhelmed and overly excited. I would continue taking your boy places and hopefully he gets used to it and the diarrhea will stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
not sure if putting on a thunder coat calming jacket would help- maybe some other members who use that can comment

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Alrighti,,, I hope you get some more stuff on this as............ Since Hank was just a pup, we have traveled every week to his dads (nearly 2 hour each way) every week. And every week, when we get there, I have to turn him loose in the big park and I know there will be needed 2 poops (soft AND he needs cleaning up, which he NEVER does at home) and then we can continue to the house. .. We have also traveled for days and it doesn't seem to be the travel part of it, it's the excitement of being there I think.. He does it at the dog park as well (we don't go anymore) but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It does cause concern as his poops are perfect when home, and not so easy when away... He's a year now and done it so many times I think the 'thrill is gone' as it's gotton better, but it does make ya think what the heck!

OP
BullyPotato

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
Thanks for the tips maybe I'll try a thunder coat with him and some pumpkin before our next adventure somewhere! Hankster- I feel your pain! I need to carry wet wipes with me in my purse in case he gets the "gouchie streaks" down his rear after the blowout. The worst part is that it's always in public and people/children always notice/ want to pet him because he's cute/friendly and a few different times I've notice people in the park or street coming over to say hi until they notice I'm wiping my Bulldogs butt off and looking for a trash can very awkwardly & embarrrased :ashamed::eek:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg laughing so hard!!! yes!!! the ways I 'try' to hide the fact would be amusing but there NOT.... lol And what sucks is he has the best poops easy peasy at home so when he does need to go when away, it would be no prob at all if it wernt for .... well, you know! And ohhhh how I know how people just love these guys and I'm so afraid he'll do a quick turn across their pant leg before I get the chance to ,,, well you know.... lol ohhhhhhhh boy!! anyhway!!!! Hank seems to be mostly outgrowing that so we shall see... thanks for the comradery here,,, it sucks, but is kinda funny...
Thanks for the tips maybe I'll try a thunder coat with him and some pumpkin before our next adventure somewhere! Hankster- I feel your pain! I need to carry wet wipes with me in my purse in case he gets the "gouchie streaks" down his rear after the blowout. The worst part is that it's always in public and people/children always notice/ want to pet him because he's cute/friendly and a few different times I've notice people in the park or street coming over to say hi until they notice I'm wiping my Bulldogs butt off and looking for a trash can very awkwardly & embarrrased :ashamed::eek:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm with you guys! Everybody laughs at me when I wet wipe my bulldogs butt, but do they want him to wipe it on their jeans or couch? Even when the stools are solid, there is some material left in the area ( try to wet wipe and you will see!) and I think it's hygienic both for bullie and people around. Or, am I OCD ( well, i am, a bit:)...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think it's hygienic both for bullie and people around. Or, am I OCD ( well, i am, a bit:)...

Both, which is why we have bulldogs... OCD loves OCD :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
exactly........... ocd loves ocd and if it cant find it,,, it will make it!!!

OP
BullyPotato

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
exactly........... ocd loves ocd and if it cant find it,,, it will make it!!!
Oh man I just realized this is probably partly why I have Bulldogs....or at least am good at taking care of them!!! Hah:ohmy:

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Bentley gets the nervous loose stools too. I took him to work with me when I was doing a presentation on pets - how they help us and how we need to care for them. After the presentation, he went walking down the hall but several people were lingering and I called him back. He waited until it was just the 2 of us and squatted on the carpet and cut loose with it in copious amounts. Most recently it was at the vet's office.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
What a good boy... well, best he could be :)
Bentley gets the nervous loose stools too. I took him to work with me when I was doing a presentation on pets - how they help us and how we need to care for them. After the presentation, he went walking down the hall but several people were lingering and I called him back. He waited until it was just the 2 of us and squatted on the carpet and cut loose with it in copious amounts. Most recently it was at the vet's office.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Most Reactions