Could this be an allergic reaction to pollen (see pic)?

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
11.5 months old - Allergic reaction .jpeg

Outdoor allergens have been terrible here lately, this is the first time Dozer has had to deal with really bad pollen (he is almost 1 year old). This just started 4 days ago and isn't changing / getting worse. I also noticed a raw spot behind his nose rope last night (he gets wiped down at least twice a day with Fragrance Free & Hypoallergenic Baby wipes and never had any problem), I have some KetoHex pads I'm using to hopefully take care of that but the area is really gunked up tonight. After I clean it again should I put anything else like Neosporin? I've also read people use Coconut Oil, Vaseline, etc.

To add another layer to this we were transitioning from Fromm Heartland Gold Grain-Free Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food to Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Grain-Free Hasen Duckenpfeffer Dry Dog Food. He already had the pigmentation change happen before eating any of the new food and I had only mixed in about 1/3 of the new to start the change slowly. Just thought I should mention, full disclosure and all that.

I've read a lot but nothing compares to the wealth of knowledge on this board and I don't want to mess around with the well being of my 4 legged buddy. Thanks for any help or info!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Not 100% sure if those pink spots are allergies, but I would definitely start giving him antihistamines if he seems to be sneezing when you go out. The best one to start with is Zyrtec (cetirizine) 0.5 mg/pound daily, but he will get tolerant over time so good to switch once in a while with chlorpheniramine twice daily, diphenhydramine twice daily or loratidine once daily. I clean my dog's nose rope area with a 3 stage process with round cosmetic pads. First I use a wet one with ketohex or curaseb or malaseb shampoo on it, then I wipe with a plain wet one, then I dry it. Other people here use witch hazel on a pad and since that's drying you don't have to wipe it dry. If you still have those ketohex pads you can use those without drying. You can also try spraying some Banex or Vetricyn or Equisilver on a wipe and wiping down that area without drying. Whichever methhod you use to clean you may want to finish up with desitin ointment or an antibiotic ointment on that area for a few days till it calms down.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like it is allergy related for sure.... I've seen the pigmentation change before but I can't remember the situation or the member (i'll tag a few that might). Is it only on the lips,, no where else on his body?

Dolly gave great advice on the allergy meds to try and get him some relief from the pollen.

I recently got Lambeau a shot for his allergies, it is NOT a serum -- it is called CADI/cytopoint, look it up and ask your vet about it. Since giving it to Lambeau he is barely scratching and I do not have to give him any other allergy meds.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm thinking the pigment changes could be that he scratched some skin off? One of my dogs bit my other dog on the nose and that spot has grown back pink instead of black.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You could also try some holistic remedies taken internally that might help a little with skin condition, eg coconut oil, salmon oil, turmeric (start with 1/4 tsp with 6 grinds of pepper from grinder), and ginger

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 105491Thanks for any help or info![/FONT]

PEPPERMINT!!!! This essential oil is probably the best one for allergies. As most knows im a big fan of EO. And Dr Draxe is probably one of the best out there on EO "how to use them!" Great for dogs!!!! You should put one drop into your baby's water. (Humans too). Start diffusing your house especially where Dozer sleeps! You will see a big difference.

https://draxe.com/essential-oils-for-allergies/

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm... does his eyes seem bothered? They looked ok in the pictures... I prefer Zyrtec for eyes issues and Benadryl for the rest, he may just be having a flare up because of environmental allergies. I took my pups off of the Hausen Duckenpfeffer because of allergies, I started them out on the four star beef and pork/applesauce first.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The pink could be contact dermatitis. Sometimes a rubber toy can cause it.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
wow! never thought of putting in dogs water! I love a drop in my tea... boy what a nice treat that is... Can you tell more about peppermint in dogs water??? I am also looking up your link! thanks!!!!!!!!!!! .... Ps ;) I am on the 'link' right now so unless you have somethihg else to add, your off the hook :0 thanks!!! great info!!!
PEPPERMINT!!!! This essential oil is probably the best one for allergies. As most knows im a big fan of EO. And Dr Draxe is probably one of the best out there on EO "how to use them!" Great for dogs!!!! You should put one drop into your baby's water. (Humans too). Start diffusing your house especially where Dozer sleeps! You will see a big difference.

https://draxe.com/essential-oils-for-allergies/

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Wow, thanks for all the helpful tips and responses. Had to stock up on some "First Aid supplies" and find his old food at a physical location which is not easy since I live in BFE. Going to try and answer all the questions -

* The pigment change is just on his lips, nowhere else. It is definitely NOT getting worse. 99% sure it isn't a scratch or abrasion, it looks like the "black ink" was drained from his lip up close. No change in the
skin, it's all smooth. When he was a pup, he missed a step going up to our front porch and skinned his bottom lip on a brick step and it healed back black and good as new.

* He gets Coconut oil as a regular treat, almost every night.

* His eyes are Ok, have not noticed any change or problem. As a precaution, I do wipe his whole face down and paws off after going outside now.

* No new toys, but I have tossed some that were getting dangerously worn / torn (wife took back a few that didn't pass the 30 minute test) and washing the ones that can be washed.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
wow! never thought of putting in dogs water! I love a drop in my tea... boy what a nice treat that is... Can you tell more about peppermint in dogs water??? I am also looking up your link! thanks!!!!!!!!!!! .... Ps ;) I am on the 'link' right now so unless you have somethihg else to add, your off the hook :0 thanks!!! great info!!!

Lol I was gone all day. Guess you had time to read it 20x lol

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
haha,, yep! printed out and everything... GREAT info! and I have so many of the oils and more a commin ;) (the ones you ALWAYS post ) ;)
Lol I was gone all day. Guess you had time to read it 20x lol

Members online

No members online now.