Allergies and itchy skin

Melemery24

Jan 10, 2016
MD
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Hi All! After a couple of restless nights with an itchy dog, we took her to the vet. She has environmental allergies. The pollen is really bad in our area right now. Can you recommend something to wipe her paws and face with ? Something to get the pollen off of her when she goes outside. Those are the main areas that seem to bother her the most. Thanks!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Unscented baby wipes. Also you should give an antihistamine such as cetirizine 0.5 mg/pound once daily

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed.... unscented baby wipes. I also just use an old towel with warm water.

OP
M

Melemery24

Jan 10, 2016
MD
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Thank you [MENTION=12725]Dolly[/MENTION]sowner and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If her allergies are really bad you should probably wash her weekly. Maybe some members can recommend ( [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] ) a good shampoo

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I bathe my guys maybe three or four times a year... only as necessary. I use Tea Tree shampoo by John Paul (pet line by Paul Mitchel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Melemery24

Jan 10, 2016
MD
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
image.jpeg I use this shampoo that was recommended by a local bulldog owner I met and it really helps with her sensitive skin. How do you keep your bulldog from smelling? Mine starts to stink after a month

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 105509 I use this shampoo that was recommended by a local bulldog owner I met and it really helps with her sensitive skin. How do you keep your bulldog from smelling? Mine starts to stink after a month

The right food is key... i am always worried about smell so I check them And ask friends/family to tell me if the pups have odor

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I find coconut oil taken internally helps deodorize the dogs. You can also do a quick wipe down between baths with a malacetic wipe, or spray some vinegar and water and wipe off. I was suggesting weekly baths not for smell, but for removal of pollens if the dog is really environmentally sensitive.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Jax is allergic to everything green outside and he gets a bath once a week. Sometimes I'll wipe him down with an I scented baby wipe but that doesn't seem to do much for him. I usually rotate between shampoos with Ketohex and Chlorohexidine.

OP
M

Melemery24

Jan 10, 2016
MD
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Thanks. We feed her Fromm grain free. We used to add coconut oil, we will have to start that again. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] I understand you were recommending bathing weekly for allergies not smell.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.