2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Question for anyone who has gotten their dogs tail amputated. The reason I had this done for Sampson was because he would sit on his bum and it would clearly be uncomfortable he would scoot his butt back and fourth and try to get to his butt. He is 3 days post-op from his surgery and I don't know what happened but he seemed to quickly run and sit on his butt just like he used to when his tail bothered him
And did the same thing. Has this happened to anyone else? My worst fear is that I put
My Poor boy through surgery and it's not gonna solve the problem!

My be starting to heal and is itchy... can you check the site and see if it seems dry or the stiches are tightening up... that can be itchy. If yes, add some Neosporin to helps sooth the itch

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
5 days post op and Sampson is doing terrific! Although he does seem a little bit itchy when he sits for the most part he's back to normal. He can't stand being on a leash anymore so I decided to trust him enough to walk off leash in my gated back yard. Although his surgeon did call me back today and told me that when she sent his tail out for a culture test (Don't know if that's the correct term?) it came back with 2 bacterias. So now she added an extra week of the antibiotic Simplicef and a week of Amoxicillin! Has anyone ever given their bully amoxicillin before? Scary to know those bacterias were living inside of his body all because of his tail ! :mellow:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great to hear he is doing well!!
Amoxicillin... personally never used but have heard of others used it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
5 days post op and Sampson is doing terrific! Although he does seem a little bit itchy when he sits for the most part he's back to normal. He can't stand being on a leash anymore so I decided to trust him enough to walk off leash in my gated back yard. Although his surgeon did call me back today and told me that when she sent his tail out for a culture test (Don't know if that's the correct term?) it came back with 2 bacterias. So now she added an extra week of the antibiotic Simplicef and a week of Amoxicillin! Has anyone ever given their bully amoxicillin before? Scary to know those bacterias were living inside of his body all because of his tail ! :mellow:

Amoxicillin is for humans. I guess dogs can have too. Make sure you give your dog greek yogurt or probiotics. :yes:

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
So it's been 2 weeks since Sampsons surgery and 4 days since he got his stitches removed. I noticed today that there was a little bit of oozing coming from a little part of the incision and contacted his vet right away just to be safe. She says this isn't that common and called in a prescription for another antibiotic clavamox which I will pick up and start giving him tomorrow. Has anyone else had issues with oozing after suture removal? Is this thr beginning of an infection? I'm a nervous wreck right now!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So it's been 2 weeks since Sampsons surgery and 4 days since he got his stitches removed. I noticed today that there was a little bit of oozing coming from a little part of the incision and contacted his vet right away just to be safe. She says this isn't that common and called in a prescription for another antibiotic clavamox which I will pick up and start giving him tomorrow. Has anyone else had issues with oozing after suture removal? Is this thr beginning of an infection? I'm a nervous wreck right now!

We did not with Lambeau, but our girl had a vuvlaplasty and she has an issue with it similar to you are - right after stitches cane out. You did the best thing, got more meds, watch it closely and if it looks to not get better in a couple days on the Clavamox... get him to the vet for an examination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.