2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good news! Sampson is out of surgery and is recovery. He will be staying over night so that he can be monitored just in case. The surgeon said that his tail pocket was very deep and very bad, also I gave her the clear to trim his short palate because I guess it was fairly large and obstructing his breathing. He will had a drainage tube for a few first couple of days which is super scary to me so if anyone has dealt with drainage tubes please enlighten me!

So good to hear all went well and he will be home with you tomorrow. No experience on the drainage tubes, but as Chip stated.. any issues with those and right back to the vet is the first place to go.

keep us posted ... sending lots of positive thoughts to you all

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had a drainage tube after his last tail infection as it was quite deep in his body, no other way out for it. It would heal up then erupt again. The drain helped and was no big deal. We finally finished his long course of antibiotics last week and hopefully, that will be the end of it. Now, all we have to do is wait for his hair to grow back. It took nearly a year last time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Glad to hear that surgery went well. Continued prayer for a full and uneventful recovery!

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Sampson is home and seems fine doing well! I definitely was not prepared for the grossness of the incision site and drainage tube, makes me light headed even thinking about it let alone cleaning the area. So far he's had a little Bit of soft food (because of his soft palate surgery as well) but he threw a little of that up :(

IMG_7817.jpg
IMG_7815.JPG
Praying the recovery process goes well! Im a worried wreck over here.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hes such a pretty/handsome boy... Poor dear got it at both ends huh :( I'm glad he's home and just keep him nice and calm. I'm sure they told you that but you don't want any unnecessary panting.. Hugs, and ohhhhhhh the things we gotta do that we thought we never could! :pray2: for nice smooth recovery.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Looks good! Monty's tube was down a bit and over to the right which was why we thought it was a ruptured anal gland at first. My dachshund had had a ruptured gland in that position and it looked the about same. Try not to worry (yeah, right!!) it will look so much better soon after it has all calmed down a bit. A lovely boy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy to hear he is home and himself. Bug hugs to you both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
God Bless You Sampson. You will be healed in no time. Love and Kisses to you Sampson.

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and well wishes! Sampson seems to be doing quite fine, a little upset stomach so the vet told me to stop giving him his rimadhyl. He doesn't seem to be interested in drinking any water or going to the bathroom (#2). Other than that everything seems to be going fine! He sits on his bum all day and doesn't seem
To be uncomfortable with the incision or draining tube.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
sounds good,,,, hope the #2 comes soon and don't know what your feeding but 'I' would add water to it no mater what it was and make it soupy... keep updating :)

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Thanks for the advice! Since he had his soft palate trimmed he can only eat soft foods for 2 weeks! So right now I made a soup of chicken and rice for him which he seems to like and also seems to help his upset stomach :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks for the advice! Since he had his soft palate trimmed he can only eat soft foods for 2 weeks! So right now I made a soup of chicken and rice for him which he seems to like and also seems to help his upset stomach :)

sounds great and he's probably getting good fluid from that so may not 'look' like he's drinking so much but hes getting it that way... glad he's eating :)

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Question for anyone who has gotten their dogs tail amputated. The reason I had this done for Sampson was because he would sit on his bum and it would clearly be uncomfortable he would scoot his butt back and fourth and try to get to his butt. He is 3 days post-op from his surgery and I don't know what happened but he seemed to quickly run and sit on his butt just like he used to when his tail bothered him
And did the same thing. Has this happened to anyone else? My worst fear is that I put
My Poor boy through surgery and it's not gonna solve the problem!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Question for anyone who has gotten their dogs tail amputated. The reason I had this done for Sampson was because he would sit on his bum and it would clearly be uncomfortable he would scoot his butt back and fourth and try to get to his butt. He is 3 days post-op from his surgery and I don't know what happened but he seemed to quickly run and sit on his butt just like he used to when his tail bothered him
And did the same thing. Has this happened to anyone else? My worst fear is that I put
My Poor boy through surgery and it's not gonna solve the problem!

I have no experience with this whatsoever but my first thought would be that I would assume the vet wouldn't have done the surgery if he/she didn't think it was necessary.

I'm sure it will take time to heal...sending positive thoughts for a quick recovery.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Sounds as if maybe he has full anal glands and that can be irritating him. Or... the stitches itch and he needs them itched.

Orion will do this when her tail is itching or if she had a hot spot on her belly that is itching and we have yet to notice and treat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.