SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Hey guys!

So this is my first post and new to the site. I have a 3 1/2 year old bully named Sampson and he is pretty much my first child! Fur baby of course.

I came to post in hopes for everyone to share their tail amputation stories with me! Sampson has been dealing with a very uncomfortable tail for years now and I have finally decided to get him out of his pain and go ahead with the surgery. I have a consultation next week with the surgeon but I am so scared about everything that I am making myself sick.

Please please please share with me your stories and if you think I am making the right choice. The last thing I wanna do is put my baby through this if it isn't going to change his life for the better.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry, cannot help but want to say hi and welcome!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'll find my threads for when Lambeau had his done... he did great and was the right decision for sure.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Best decision ever for us! Vegas was 7 months old when we did it and I'm so glad we did. His tail pocket was tight and deep.

I wish we would have done Orion's. Hers isn't so bad, but if we bathe her and it doesn't get completely dry, she gets an infection which makes us all miserable. And her hair is always discolored (she is a white baby) around the tail pocket area.

2b2ff93e8e2bf8f438679fb7f5102836.jpg
949c64db6638e371a8376fe5042e292c.jpg

The first day was horrible. They only gave him Rimadyl for the pain. He literally was crying. By day two I got them to add tramadol and once that happened, we couldn't keep him settled. He was a happy baby after that. You are supposed to keep them quite for several days. I would suggest getting a playpen to put him in after. We didn't think about that until years after... so we put blankets and towels down everywhere. They will seep from the incision for a few days and it will get everywhere. We did Vegas before EBN existed. In fact... it was before FB was popular. This was back in the MySpace days and I really didn't know what I was doing and didn't have anyone to ask for advice. When we talked to the surgeon, he told me that we could "sew his tail pocket closed so future issues wouldn't be a concern". I was shocked and sad that when I picked him up he had no more tail.

Here are the before and after photos.

His tiny little nub full (4).jpg

Day of surgery full (7).jpg

Day of surgery full (8).jpg

Day of surgery full (9).jpg

5 days after surgery 5 days after surgery.jpg

16 days after surgery (we couldn't keep him settled... so he ended up popping a stitch) 16 days after surgery.jpg

16 days after surgery 16 days.jpg

32 days after surgery 32 after surgery.jpg

50 days after surgery 50 days after surgery.jpg

18 weeks after surgery. All his bootie hair had finally grown back. 18 weeks after surgery.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey guys!

So this is my first post and new to the site. I have a 3 1/2 year old bully named Sampson and he is pretty much my first child! Fur baby of course.

I came to post in hopes for everyone to share their tail amputation stories with me! Sampson has been dealing with a very uncomfortable tail for years now and I have finally decided to get him out of his pain and go ahead with the surgery. I have a consultation next week with the surgeon but I am so scared about everything that I am making myself sick.

Please please please share with me your stories and if you think I am making the right choice. The last thing I wanna do is put my baby through this if it isn't going to change his life for the better.

I was hoping Cheryl would post.... and she did! She gave you a fantastic run-down of the procedure, she is amazing at documentation!!! hope the info is helpful and gives you some peace with your deciison.

Here are links to my threads on Lambeau:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...lambeau-tail-amputated.html?highlight=lambeau

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...d/48024-update-lambeau.html?highlight=lambeau

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ard/48036-lambeau-home.html?highlight=lambeau

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ambeau-stitches-update.html?highlight=lambeau

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-lambeau-4days-post-op.html?highlight=lambeau

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Thank you so much for replying and telling me about your expierence. No matter how many people I talk to I still seem to be very nervous about going through with this, just don't want my Bully to be in extreme amounts of pain! I'll feel so guilty. Do you happen to remember how long your baby was on medication for? And how long do you typically wait to go back and get the stitches taken out?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much for posting the links to your own expierence! It makes me feel good to see that some bully's aren't even phased by this at all.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for replying and telling me about your expierence. No matter how many people I talk to I still seem to be very nervous about going through with this, just don't want my Bully to be in extreme amounts of pain! I'll feel so guilty. Do you happen to remember how long your baby was on medication for? And how long do you typically wait to go back and get the stitches taken out?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much for posting the links to your own expierence! It makes me feel good to see that some bully's aren't even phased by this at all.

Lambeau was on Rimadyl for a week, Gabapentin and cephalexin for two weeks. We also did 6 sessions of laser treatment to help healing

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas was on antibiotics, Rimadyl and tramadol for about a week.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We recently did one of our rescues and the surgery went well and recovery went even better. Our Pippy also had it done without incident. The risks are minimal and the rewards are great. Most important consideration is that the surgeon has Bulldog experience.

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
IMG_7766.JPG

Tomorrow my sweet little baby goes in for his tail amputation surgery. Hoping everything goes well and as planned with a speedy recovery! Just want the best for my best friend :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 105970

Tomorrow my sweet little baby goes in for his tail amputation surgery. Hoping everything goes well and as planned with a speedy recovery! Just want the best for my best friend :)

Keep us posted... sending lots of positive thoughts!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy do we love them and worry... Sorry it has to be done but so glad it "gets" to be done all the same... It''ll all be good before yu know it... Let us know when it's done... :pray2:

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Good news! Sampson is out of surgery and is recovery. He will be staying over night so that he can be monitored just in case. The surgeon said that his tail pocket was very deep and very bad, also I gave her the clear to trim his short palate because I guess it was fairly large and obstructing his breathing. He will had a drainage tube for a few first couple of days which is super scary to me so if anyone has dealt with drainage tubes please enlighten me!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh I'm soooooooo glad to hear and I think you will be super happy that you did the soft palate!!! I am extremely happy it's done for Hank!! I've not heard of a drainage tube??? that's new to me... I do know that he needs soft food for a couple of weeks and to keep VERY quiet!!! That is sooooo important and kind of hard to do after the first few days... Mabie the drugs will keep yours down more but it was a struggle here but an absolute must!!!!!! So glad he's out and recovery in order :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Drain tubes can be a little unsightly but they aren't really a big deal. Your Vet will tell you everything you need to know and most give written instructions. Feel free to ask us if you have concerns about anything but given the nature of the surgery, your Vet should be the first place you call for assistance. Please keep us posted on how things go.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online