Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I'm curious to know what everyone's opinions are regarding vaccinations or doing a titer test. Jax was fully vaccinated and never had any reactions or issues to it. But I know there can be reactions and dogs can potentially get over-vaccinated. He will come home with his first set of shots and now I am trying to decide which route I want to go.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always gotten my dogs their yearly shots. Have never had a reaction-alot of dogs over the years(part of the family-always). It just depends on your beliefs
Especially recommend if you travel alot with your dog!

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I always did the yearly shots (rabies, DHPP and lepto) thinking I was doing the best thing for my dog. After my 10 yr old dogs yearly vaccines her problems began. I read A LOT about vaccines and am convinced that I did more harm to her immune system than good by doing yearly shots. I whole heartedly believe vaccines are important and necessary but a yearly booster is not needed. I have a 10 year old now and she will not get another shot besides the required rabies. My 2 yr old only had the core vaccine puppy shots and will not get anymore boosters...just rabies. Most vaccines show immunity for a min of 7 yrs. My vet said the 3yr rabies shot is the same dose as the 1 yr, so why give it more often? The fillers in these vaccines are scary and limiting the amount they recieve in a life time is important to me. Just my two cents.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I always did the yearly shots (rabies, DHPP and lepto) thinking I was doing the best thing for my dog. After my 10 yr old dogs yearly vaccines her problems began. I read A LOT about vaccines and am convinced that I did more harm to her immune system than good by doing yearly shots. I whole heartedly believe vaccines are important and necessary but a yearly booster is not needed. I have a 10 year old now and she will not get another shot besides the required rabies. My 2 yr old only had the core vaccine puppy shots and will not get anymore boosters...just rabies. Most vaccines show immunity for a min of 7 yrs. My vet said the 3yr rabies shot is the same dose as the 1 yr, so why give it more often? The fillers in these vaccines are scary and limiting the amount they recieve in a life time is important to me. Just my two cents.

In Canada it isnt mandatory the rabies shot or any shots. Yes ive always given all when they were young but that was it. In all my lifetime with dogs, not one had any issues. Now I got to go knock on wood.........ok back...... A month ago I went to my vet for Nyala and her too doesn't suggest rabies as not an issue in this province. Yes if I would travel the world she would have it. Daycare, she would have it to but she's only with me or my sons babysits her. I believe, the less poison a dog has in their system the better. That's MY 2 cents. Ok you can alllll roll your eyes now. :rolleyes:

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I'm definitely not anti-vaccine. Rabies is mandatory where I live so that has to get done regardless. Louie will get the core vaccines he needs as a puppy. I am undecided if I want to titer after that. The daycare I use will accept a titer test so I don't need to worry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Rabies vaccine is mandatory in most of the municipalities near where I live in Ontario, since you can't licence your dog without proof of rabies vaccination, and you can get5,000 dollar fine if your dog is walking around without being licenced. I would only get initial puppy vaccinations, and then get the rabies vaccine every 3 years and core vaccine every 5 years and not even bother with titers, or I'd get 1 set of titres done at end of year 1 to see if the vaccines took.

In Canada it isnt mandatory the rabies shot or any shots. Yes ive always given all when they were young but that was it. In all my lifetime with dogs, not one had any issues. Now I got to go knock on wood.........ok back...... A month ago I went to my vet for Nyala and her too doesn't suggest rabies as not an issue in this province. Yes if I would travel the world she would have it. Daycare, she would have it to but she's only with me or my sons babysits her. I believe, the less poison a dog has in their system the better. That's MY 2 cents. Ok you can alllll roll your eyes now. :rolleyes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
According to my vet she said goes with how many rabies was reported by all vets in Canada. Not much repoted here in Alberta why they dont say anything. Nyala does have her license. Just renewed it a few months ago. In Quebec my GS was also license and didn't have his shots. Only tickets they gave you was if the cops asks you to show pooping bags, you better have some on you or its a nice 50 $ fine.

Anyway vaccinations topics is like dammm you do and dammm you dont. And nothing is wrong with the titer way. Some will remember here that a member not that long ago went with his boy for his shot. Was more of a vet issue... That shot was given in the neck and turned extremely bad for his dog and we're still waiting to hear from the owner (forgot the name). My gut says his poor baby didnt make it. He never came back to let us know what the update was. Ok ok positive thinking....positive thinking....good thoughts only!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Unfortunately we have to get the rabies shot by law, but the more I read, the more I am thinking of doing the titer test. I just need to get my wife on board with it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think if your vet charges a lot for titres you just need to do one set of titres after their vaccinations at the one year mark, to make sure they have adequate protection. There's pretty good evidence that the core vaccines work for 5-7 years and the rabies vaccine is mandatory every 3 years, so I just plan to do core vaccinations every 5 years. What do antibody titres really mean anyways? It means that your pet has circulating antibody. But if your pet is exposed to the virus, he could still produce an immediate defensive response from the immune system's memory which would kill the offending virus and he wouldn't get sick, even if he didn't have initial circulating antibodies.

Unfortunately we have to get the rabies shot by law, but the more I read, the more I am thinking of doing the titer test. I just need to get my wife on board with it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also, if you want to vaccinate your puppies holistically don't start vaccinating them till they are 16 weeks old, and keep them isolated from other dogs till they are 22 weeks old. Check out this holistic dog vaccination reference Dog Vaccination Schedule : Holistic vs. Conventional Approach

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've always follow my vet's lead.... he doesn't like to vaccinate, so he is pretty good with just giving us what we have to have. Like since we do not kennel or go to daycare, we skip the kennel cough, and before we moved to our current house we also skipped lepto and lyme.... now due to the woods and wildlife in our yard we get them all :(

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Also, if you want to vaccinate your puppies holistically don't start vaccinating them till they are 16 weeks old, and keep them isolated from other dogs till they are 22 weeks old. Check out this holistic dog vaccination reference Dog Vaccination Schedule : Holistic vs. Conventional Approach

Great point to make because I don't think this is understood by many. After I started researching about vaccines I learned that the mothers antibodies will render the vaccine useless in young pups. The mothers antibodies don't wear off until around 16 weeks of age so basically your pup isn't protected even if they got the vaccine at 8, 10 or possibly even 12 weeks of age. And to top if off, the mothers antibodies aren't strong enough to protect your pup from parvo, distemper etc... so it is crucial to keep your young pup away from common areas such as pet stores and dog parks or letting them walk around at the vet until they are protected! Can't recall the time line but you also have to wait so long after that vaccine given at 16 wks for it to take effect.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Here in Australia I asked about the tiger test and my vet said it needs to be done every year the reason I asked about doing that a few of you know why but I confess I and Richard have decided this year at least not to give FTSE his needles we don't have rabies here so that's not a problem and we always went with the higher vaccine each year instead of the standard so I'm hoping FTSE will be fine but we had to decide this after this years attemp of giving FTSE his needles. Not happy with it one little bit but have to deal with it.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Have you spoken to Dr Dikeman about it? Just curious. If it wasn't law here, I think I would go with the titre test but they ask for their shot records even when I take them to the groomers to have their nails trimmed.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we always titer, though in Mass there is no legal titer value for rabies. Lola has a hugely adverse effect to the rabies vaccine, so now my only option is to refuse (we titer anyways, but its not accepted in this state). trained virologist here.

i should disclaim here that I am pro vaccines 100% especially for people, but if you have the antibodies, you're good. second disclaimer, i decline the flu shot every year because I'm otherwise healthy and that virus mutates quickly so the vaccine can be less effective in any case.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.