Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15

Thread: Vaccinate or titer?

  1. #1
    Bully Bootie Duty Cbrugs's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    172
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    197

    Default Vaccinate or titer?

    I'm curious to know what everyone's opinions are regarding vaccinations or doing a titer test. Jax was fully vaccinated and never had any reactions or issues to it. But I know there can be reactions and dogs can potentially get over-vaccinated. He will come home with his first set of shots and now I am trying to decide which route I want to go.

  2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  3. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,750
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)
    5462

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    I have always gotten my dogs their yearly shots. Have never had a reaction-alot of dogs over the years(part of the family-always). It just depends on your beliefs
    Especially recommend if you travel alot with your dog!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  4. Likes Cbrugs, Hankster liked this post
  5. #3
    Drool Catcher Kevikell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    241
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)
    121

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    I always did the yearly shots (rabies, DHPP and lepto) thinking I was doing the best thing for my dog. After my 10 yr old dogs yearly vaccines her problems began. I read A LOT about vaccines and am convinced that I did more harm to her immune system than good by doing yearly shots. I whole heartedly believe vaccines are important and necessary but a yearly booster is not needed. I have a 10 year old now and she will not get another shot besides the required rabies. My 2 yr old only had the core vaccine puppy shots and will not get anymore boosters...just rabies. Most vaccines show immunity for a min of 7 yrs. My vet said the 3yr rabies shot is the same dose as the 1 yr, so why give it more often? The fillers in these vaccines are scary and limiting the amount they recieve in a life time is important to me. Just my two cents.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

  6. Likes Hankster, Cbrugs, helsonwheels, Ftse 100 liked this post
  7. #4
    Dog Show Judge helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2,886
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)
    3563

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevikell View Post
    I always did the yearly shots (rabies, DHPP and lepto) thinking I was doing the best thing for my dog. After my 10 yr old dogs yearly vaccines her problems began. I read A LOT about vaccines and am convinced that I did more harm to her immune system than good by doing yearly shots. I whole heartedly believe vaccines are important and necessary but a yearly booster is not needed. I have a 10 year old now and she will not get another shot besides the required rabies. My 2 yr old only had the core vaccine puppy shots and will not get anymore boosters...just rabies. Most vaccines show immunity for a min of 7 yrs. My vet said the 3yr rabies shot is the same dose as the 1 yr, so why give it more often? The fillers in these vaccines are scary and limiting the amount they recieve in a life time is important to me. Just my two cents.
    In Canada it isnt mandatory the rabies shot or any shots. Yes ive always given all when they were young but that was it. In all my lifetime with dogs, not one had any issues. Now I got to go knock on wood.........ok back...... A month ago I went to my vet for Nyala and her too doesn't suggest rabies as not an issue in this province. Yes if I would travel the world she would have it. Daycare, she would have it to but she's only with me or my sons babysits her. I believe, the less poison a dog has in their system the better. That's MY 2 cents. Ok you can alllll roll your eyes now.

  8. Likes Cbrugs, Ftse 100 liked this post
  9. #5
    Bully Bootie Duty Cbrugs's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    172
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    197

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    I'm definitely not anti-vaccine. Rabies is mandatory where I live so that has to get done regardless. Louie will get the core vaccines he needs as a puppy. I am undecided if I want to titer after that. The daycare I use will accept a titer test so I don't need to worry about that.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  11. #6
    Bulldog Walker
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    266
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dolly
    Likes (Received)
    219

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    Rabies vaccine is mandatory in most of the municipalities near where I live in Ontario, since you can't licence your dog without proof of rabies vaccination, and you can get5,000 dollar fine if your dog is walking around without being licenced. I would only get initial puppy vaccinations, and then get the rabies vaccine every 3 years and core vaccine every 5 years and not even bother with titers, or I'd get 1 set of titres done at end of year 1 to see if the vaccines took.

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    In Canada it isnt mandatory the rabies shot or any shots. Yes ive always given all when they were young but that was it. In all my lifetime with dogs, not one had any issues. Now I got to go knock on wood.........ok back...... A month ago I went to my vet for Nyala and her too doesn't suggest rabies as not an issue in this province. Yes if I would travel the world she would have it. Daycare, she would have it to but she's only with me or my sons babysits her. I believe, the less poison a dog has in their system the better. That's MY 2 cents. Ok you can alllll roll your eyes now.

  12. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  13. #7
    Dog Show Judge helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2,886
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)
    3563

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    According to my vet she said goes with how many rabies was reported by all vets in Canada. Not much repoted here in Alberta why they dont say anything. Nyala does have her license. Just renewed it a few months ago. In Quebec my GS was also license and didn't have his shots. Only tickets they gave you was if the cops asks you to show pooping bags, you better have some on you or its a nice 50 $ fine.

    Anyway vaccinations topics is like dammm you do and dammm you dont. And nothing is wrong with the titer way. Some will remember here that a member not that long ago went with his boy for his shot. Was more of a vet issue... That shot was given in the neck and turned extremely bad for his dog and we're still waiting to hear from the owner (forgot the name). My gut says his poor baby didnt make it. He never came back to let us know what the update was. Ok ok positive thinking....positive thinking....good thoughts only!!!!

  14. #8
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,143
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1429

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    Unfortunately we have to get the rabies shot by law, but the more I read, the more I am thinking of doing the titer test. I just need to get my wife on board with it.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  15. Likes Cbrugs, 2BullyMama liked this post
  16. #9
    Bulldog Walker
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    266
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dolly
    Likes (Received)
    219

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    I think if your vet charges a lot for titres you just need to do one set of titres after their vaccinations at the one year mark, to make sure they have adequate protection. There's pretty good evidence that the core vaccines work for 5-7 years and the rabies vaccine is mandatory every 3 years, so I just plan to do core vaccinations every 5 years. What do antibody titres really mean anyways? It means that your pet has circulating antibody. But if your pet is exposed to the virus, he could still produce an immediate defensive response from the immune system's memory which would kill the offending virus and he wouldn't get sick, even if he didn't have initial circulating antibodies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Unfortunately we have to get the rabies shot by law, but the more I read, the more I am thinking of doing the titer test. I just need to get my wife on board with it.

  17. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  18. #10
    Bulldog Walker
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    266
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dolly
    Likes (Received)
    219

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    Also, if you want to vaccinate your puppies holistically don't start vaccinating them till they are 16 weeks old, and keep them isolated from other dogs till they are 22 weeks old. Check out this holistic dog vaccination reference Dog Vaccination Schedule : Holistic vs. Conventional Approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Unfortunately we have to get the rabies shot by law, but the more I read, the more I am thinking of doing the titer test. I just need to get my wife on board with it.

  19. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    37,677
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    9238

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    I've always follow my vet's lead.... he doesn't like to vaccinate, so he is pretty good with just giving us what we have to have. Like since we do not kennel or go to daycare, we skip the kennel cough, and before we moved to our current house we also skipped lepto and lyme.... now due to the woods and wildlife in our yard we get them all
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  20. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  21. #12
    Drool Catcher Kevikell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    241
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)
    121

    Default Re: Vaccinate or titer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    Also, if you want to vaccinate your puppies holistically don't start vaccinating them till they are 16 weeks old, and keep them isolated from other dogs till they are 22 weeks old. Check out this holistic dog vaccination reference Dog Vaccination Schedule : Holistic vs. Conventional Approach
    Great point to make because I don't think this is understood by many. After I started researching about vaccines I learned that the mothers antibodies will render the vaccine useless in young pups. The mothers antibodies don't wear off until around 16 weeks of age so basically your pup isn't protected even if they got the vaccine at 8, 10 or possibly even 12 weeks of age. And to top if off, the mothers antibodies aren't strong enough to protect your pup from parvo, distemper etc... so it is crucial to keep your young pup away from common areas such as pet stores and dog parks or letting them walk around at the vet until they are protected! Can't recall the time line but you also have to wait so long after that vaccine given at 16 wks for it to take effect.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

  22. Likes Dollys Owner, Cbrugs liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •