Help Needed! Shoulder Injury

Rybri79

Apr 19, 2017
Encinitas, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronx
My 11 month old boy Bronx ran up a short but steep incline today at the dog park to see another dog coming into the park. When he got to the top he immediately went down on his front right leg. He could not put any weight on it (and still can't 6 hours later). Took him to the vet and they said no broken bones, but ortho exam isolated the issue in the shoulder. No x rays - just gave me some anti inflammatory and said to rest him hard for a while. I feel terrible like I should have called him back from running up that hill. But has anybody else had a similar experience? Just want some reassurance that my boy will be able to walk ok again soon.

Thanks, Ryan.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
only thing I can say is that a few of ours have had different 'growth' or growing type injuries and once well rested, all are fine. I would look for the thread on limping or something like that on here and you'll see others may have been in that same situation... Best of luck.. let us know..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Usually most impacts injuries is when dogs jumps down and not up. So yes I would follow what your vet said n finish the pills. I would also massage him very so lightly with coconut oil and a few drops of lavender, peppermint (these oils works as anti inflammatories) and the hardest part......no running, playing, jumping and all that good stuff! :fie:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Very common for bullies to have soft tissue injuries, they seem to mask pain well so by the time you see a problem it's too late. Force him to rest and take his meds... he will be as good as new very soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My 11 month old boy Bronx ran up a short but steep incline today at the dog park to see another dog coming into the park. When he got to the top he immediately went down on his front right leg. He could not put any weight on it (and still can't 6 hours later). Took him to the vet and they said no broken bones, but ortho exam isolated the issue in the shoulder. No x rays - just gave me some anti inflammatory and said to rest him hard for a while. I feel terrible like I should have called him back from running up that hill. But has anybody else had a similar experience? Just want some reassurance that my boy will be able to walk ok again soon.

Thanks, Ryan.

How is he doing!? it is common to happen, as others have said a few days rest with the med and he will be good as new

OP
Rybri79

Rybri79

Apr 19, 2017
Encinitas, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronx
He seems to be getting a little better...he was finally able to go to the bathroom (he didn't for a day and a half) and he is starting to get upset with me for keeping him in his room so that's a good sign because initially he didn't care and just slept. Seems to be able to put a little weight on the leg now, but I'm still supporting him because I want him to have more rest for a few more days.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He seems to be getting a little better...he was finally able to go to the bathroom (he didn't for a day and a half) and he is starting to get upset with me for keeping him in his room so that's a good sign because initially he didn't care and just slept. Seems to be able to put a little weight on the leg now, but I'm still supporting him because I want him to have more rest for a few more days.

yes, keep him settled for about 3 days and it should heal up fine

OP
Rybri79

Rybri79

Apr 19, 2017
Encinitas, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronx
Bronx is better now! Did 2 weeks of really limited activity. He is good now! Thanks everybody.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronx is better now! Did 2 weeks of really limited activity. He is good now! Thanks everybody.

Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.