Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Shoulder Injury

  1. #1
    Newbie Rybri79's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    4
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bronx
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Shoulder Injury

    My 11 month old boy Bronx ran up a short but steep incline today at the dog park to see another dog coming into the park. When he got to the top he immediately went down on his front right leg. He could not put any weight on it (and still can't 6 hours later). Took him to the vet and they said no broken bones, but ortho exam isolated the issue in the shoulder. No x rays - just gave me some anti inflammatory and said to rest him hard for a while. I feel terrible like I should have called him back from running up that hill. But has anybody else had a similar experience? Just want some reassurance that my boy will be able to walk ok again soon.

    Thanks, Ryan.

  2. #2
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    4,459
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3811

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    only thing I can say is that a few of ours have had different 'growth' or growing type injuries and once well rested, all are fine. I would look for the thread on limping or something like that on here and you'll see others may have been in that same situation... Best of luck.. let us know..

  3. #3
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,883
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13181

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    Usually most impacts injuries is when dogs jumps down and not up. So yes I would follow what your vet said n finish the pills. I would also massage him very so lightly with coconut oil and a few drops of lavender, peppermint (these oils works as anti inflammatories) and the hardest part......no running, playing, jumping and all that good stuff!

  4. #4
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    14,109
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    7705

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    Very common for bullies to have soft tissue injuries, they seem to mask pain well so by the time you see a problem it's too late. Force him to rest and take his meds... he will be as good as new very soon.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  6. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,088
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17191

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybri79 View Post
    My 11 month old boy Bronx ran up a short but steep incline today at the dog park to see another dog coming into the park. When he got to the top he immediately went down on his front right leg. He could not put any weight on it (and still can't 6 hours later). Took him to the vet and they said no broken bones, but ortho exam isolated the issue in the shoulder. No x rays - just gave me some anti inflammatory and said to rest him hard for a while. I feel terrible like I should have called him back from running up that hill. But has anybody else had a similar experience? Just want some reassurance that my boy will be able to walk ok again soon.

    Thanks, Ryan.

    How is he doing!? it is common to happen, as others have said a few days rest with the med and he will be good as new
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #6
    Newbie Rybri79's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    4
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bronx
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    He seems to be getting a little better...he was finally able to go to the bathroom (he didn't for a day and a half) and he is starting to get upset with me for keeping him in his room so that's a good sign because initially he didn't care and just slept. Seems to be able to put a little weight on the leg now, but I'm still supporting him because I want him to have more rest for a few more days.

  8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,088
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17191

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybri79 View Post
    He seems to be getting a little better...he was finally able to go to the bathroom (he didn't for a day and a half) and he is starting to get upset with me for keeping him in his room so that's a good sign because initially he didn't care and just slept. Seems to be able to put a little weight on the leg now, but I'm still supporting him because I want him to have more rest for a few more days.
    yes, keep him settled for about 3 days and it should heal up fine
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  10. #8
    Newbie Rybri79's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    4
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bronx
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    Bronx is better now! Did 2 weeks of really limited activity. He is good now! Thanks everybody.

  11. Likes Florida girls, 2BullyMama, Hankster liked this post
  12. #9
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,883
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13181

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybri79 View Post
    Bronx is better now! Did 2 weeks of really limited activity. He is good now! Thanks everybody.
    Ahhhh our little trooper came through! Good job!!! Glad he's back on track.

  13. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,088
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17191

    Default Re: Shoulder Injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybri79 View Post
    Bronx is better now! Did 2 weeks of really limited activity. He is good now! Thanks everybody.
    Awesome!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •