Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE has developed this spot it is A little wet but not weepy at one edge I have been bathing it with betadine weakened down.
Does it look like a hot spot? If so what causes them?
IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG
it is located on his rear leg just under his kiss curls.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nit a hotspot... looks more like maybe low level infection
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Hot spots are typically caused by scratching or rubbing what itches. That could be staph. Keep treating for a week and if not improved see your Vet. Could it be ringworm? Yes, but unlikely...it's really rare compared to other ailments.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hmmmm..... I'm leaning more towards like mange, or something else. Not a hotspot, or even staph.

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Bentley had something like this.....has Ftse been scratching at the area? I could possibly be contact dermatitis. Then again it could be ringworm. Please see Ringworm in Dogs — Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention - American Kennel Club

FTSE rubs his side along the bricks outside but that's and odd place to reach and to be like a circle I didn't think it could be from that.

Julie...you might want to see the vet because skin conditions are difficult to diagnose with a picture. Need a scraping usually and look under the microscope.

The Vet our worst nightmare with FTSE.

Hot spots are typically caused by scratching or rubbing what itches. That could be staph. Keep treating for a week and if not improved see your Vet. Could it be ringworm? Yes, but unlikely...it's really rare compared to other ailments.

What causes ringworm? Do they need to be in contact with other animals because he isn't.

Hmmmm..... I'm leaning more towards like mange, or something else. Not a hotspot, or even staph.

Mange how do they get that, once before I put a picture up and someone mentioned mange took FTSE to the vet and it was from him scraping himself and the vet said we don't have mange here but I guess that can change.
FTSE does not go near other animals goes on a walk the same route everyday and hasn't been anywhere different, he is no different in him self whatsoever just this one spot

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Just had a look at the link above on ringworm and he doesn't have a ring round it just on one side where I scratched his hair off.
When your dogs are sedated what do they give them is it Valium like here that worries me as the vet told me there a risk with it as it's the same stuff they use in surgery this is my worst nightmare FTSE getting something wrong and a vet visit.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
What causes ringworm? Ringworm is a fungus...usually transmitted by contact with other infected dogs. Contagious to humans though.

Mange how do they get that, once before I put a picture up and someone mentioned mange took FTSE to the vet and it was from him scraping himself and the vet said we don't have mange here but I guess that can change. Demodectic mange is caused by mites flourishing on the dog. A healthy immune system will fight off the mites...a compromised immune system and the mites take over.
Keep an eye on it. If it doesn't improve in 1 week's time(or if new spots appear) then a visit to the Vet may be in order. Or maybe a house call.
Most of the time these things turn out to be staph. Cephalexin or similar does the trick.

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Keep an eye on it. If it doesn't improve in 1 week's time(or if new spots appear) then a visit to the Vet may be in order. Or maybe a house call.
Most of the time these things turn out to be staph. Cephalexin or similar does the trick.

Would it be any benefit if he starts on them now or just wait?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I don't recognize this but is it something Nu-Stock word work for? Amazing yet stinky stuff, but great reviews for ALL skin issues.

Members online

No members online now.