Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella Artois and Dozer Jordan
Hello again everyone!! So, my Allergy Queen Stella has a UTI this week. Last week I was asking for help on shampoo and this week I'm asking for help on UTIs. She is on the dry kibble, Fromm Surf and Turf, so I'm thinking I need to change her food. A while back I talked to the vet about adding cranberry extract and D Mannose to her diet to help prevent the UTI. We give her fish oil, coconut oil, Apoquel and NuVet daily. She doesn't have them very frequently, so the vet didn't recommend adding these just yet. She has maybe 3 to 4 a year. The vet normally just gives her antibiotics. Is there any kibble that anyone recommends to help prevent the UTIs? Thanks!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Most important thing is to give her probiotics (eg Herbsmith Microflora plus, Proviable DC) and lots of fluids. It would be helpful to switch to a very low allergy food like Honest Kitchen Kindly base mix and your own protein, or one of the new Honest Kitchen 6 ingredient formulae, or just to plain frozen raw food. Giving a raw food or rehydrated raw food will give extra fluid to the dog.

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My friends dog had issues with UTIs and stones. She switched to Natures Variety Instinct. Have you ever heard of any reviews on this food with bullies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Natures Variety Instinct is a good quality food. If you feed a dry dog food add some water to it while its in the bowl immediately before you feed it so that your dog will lap the water up. You should find out from vet if your dog has crystals in urine, and if so, what type, since treatments will vary depending on the type. Most of the time dogs with frequent uti who have crystals in urine are getting struvite crystals, and those are minimized by acidifying the urine, which is the opposite of what you want to achieve with all other types. The easiest way to acidify the urine is a low-carb, grain-free, potato-free diet. The Natures Variety Instinct has a carbohydrate percentage which is fairly low at 31%. Some freeze dried or dehydrated raw dog foods are much lower than that, eg. Vital Essentials Freeze Dried Dog Food is 15%, so that would be better if your dog has struvite crystals in urine. Here are some 5 star raw dog foods : Five Star Raw Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you. I'll look into those.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I do think an UTI 3-4 times year is quite frequent. 3-4 antibiotic regimens per year is quite a lot and can cause havoc in the digestive system. Digestive issues can also manifest themselves as allergy like symptoms. Like Dollys Owner said probiotics are essential and double the dose during antibiotics. If there is no other type of crystals than Struvite, if any, you can very well give her cranberry.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Apparently the most active ingredient in cranberries is d-mannose powder, and you can give d-mannose powder safely without acidifying or alkalinizing the urine. The d-mannose is great to give to prevent uti's that are caused by e.coli, it won't work for any other bacteria, but e.coli is the most common cause. Usually you would use 1/2 tsp daily mixed with their food

(Recommended dose from one brand of d-mannose:
Serving size: 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. (May use 1/4 tsp if animal is real small) Suggested use for an an infection: Day 1, one serving with 4 oz. water every 2 hours, maximum of seven servings. Day 2, one serving with 4 oz. water every 3 hours, maximum of five servings. Day 3, one serving with 4 oz. water every 4 hours, maximum of three servings. Suggested use for daily maintenance: One serving daily with 4 oz. of water. )

I do think an UTI 3-4 times year is quite frequent. 3-4 antibiotic regimens per year is quite a lot and can cause havoc in the digestive system. Digestive issues can also manifest themselves as allergy like symptoms. Like Dollys Owner said probiotics are essential and double the dose during antibiotics. If there is no other type of crystals than Struvite, if any, you can very well give her cranberry.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great info has been given... hope it helps eliminate the UTI from happening

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.