Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second opinions.....

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Second opinions.....

I'm glad for the 2nd opinion. FYI I was told that overly wet eyes is a sign of dry eye.

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

The orneriness in me today...after having to deal with the in laws while getting over the flu and having my son sick as well. Has made me so ornery that I would have to add. The only thing deserving of the first vet would be a poop pile placed in a box and mailed to them...For that's the sort of treatment they gave you. You might as well give it back.

I'm glad to hear that your second opinion...gave you good advice prior to seeing them. And they sound knowledgeable with eye issues. Just reading what you've learned via phone conversation. Has put my mind at ease that they are going to get to the proper diagnosis.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member mom2bullies's Avatar
    Real Name
    Myrna
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I am so glad you are taking Orion to see Dr Kate. Between DR. Larson, Dr. Kate, and Dr Stoehr they are the best bulldog vets around.... our young ones see Dr Stoehr on Monday.. snip, snip and LIL Miss will have her eye fixed....finally.
    mom2bullies

"For it is not into my ear you whisper, but into my heart.
    It is not my lips you kiss, But my soul"

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Kable View Post
    I'm glad for the 2nd opinion. FYI I was told that overly wet eyes is a sign of dry eye.
    I had no idea!! Thanks for that info!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

@Libra926 I learned that "dry eye" has to do with the components of the tear production. They could have normal tear production but a certain "component" is lacking in the tears (I forget what exactly the component is). Also, dry eye generally causes a mucous kind of discharge. (I'm not sure if that's sometimes kind of situation, or always, if ya know what I mean.) I'm glad Miss O is getting a second opinion from someone you trust. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear the results. PS - Chunk's eyes are healing REALLY well ... and though we've had HELL since the surgery, it's been totally worth it.
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Ok...Here is my day. I took Orion to her 2pm appointment in the next town over. She was excited to get to go in the car. I had her seatbelt on and she was using every available inch of seatbelt allowed to hang her head out the window. We even got comments and "awwww look at the cute puppy" remarks sitting at the stoplight. We get to the clinic early..(we have to sort out the "who owns Orion" mess) and O is just a big ball of anxiety. She is huffing and puffing and whining and panting like you wouldn't believe. We finally get into the room and the tech takes her temp...104.6 Before any exam goes on, the Dr's have her paws doused in cold water. They have water in front of her and they have a cold towel under her belly. Dr Kate is real concerned and she orders the bathtub ready in case Orion needs to be put in it (She knows Chesty well (Orion's daddy) and wants to be prepared) She takes her temp again and it's now 104.8. Finally she gets her temp down to 102.4 and she starts the exam. Turns out Orion has a minor case of entropion and also an ulcer. I made the decision on Thursday to stop the neo/poly/dex when Dr Kate said "if she has an ulcer..the steriod will only make it worse". So, as it stands now...We have to take care of the ulcer before we decide on what to do about the entropion. If we clear up the ulcer..and her eye feels better...surgery won't be necessary. But, if it turns out that surgery will be needed, they will do the entropion and palate surgery at the same time.
    As I was leaving the clinic, I called my other clinic to ask them to print up a copy of Orion's records because I was transferring her care elsewhere. When asked why...I told them. They called me back a few minutes later and asked if I would talk to the clinic owner when I picked up the paperwork. I agreed and a 4:40 appt was set up. I took Orion home and picked up Vegas. We were told that baby O would need a cone. I didn't want to subject Orion to anymore anxiety, so I took her home and put her to bed (it was past her nap time) Vegas and I went to PetSmart but they didn't have the comfy cone that I was looking for. (Dr Kate had told me about a bulldog client that died with a cone on his neck. They thought that the cone was too big and when it got stuck on the floor, the dogs breathing was cut off) Then we headed to Petco and they didn't have it either. So, we ran down to the 4:40 appt..and we waited until 5:10. I finally walked from the consultation room to the front desk and asked for Orion's records. I told them I had been waiting for 25 minutes to talk to the clinic owner on her request..not mine. Finally she came up and apologized. We went back to the room and I told her why I was transferring care. I ended up getting 140.00 credited to my account. Not because of Orion, but because of Vegas. I also told her that it was the 2nd time that I felt my concerns were not addressed....the 1st one being with Vegas. Remember back when he was throwing up? I took him in and they wanted to run his phenobarb and bromide tests. Even tho I had told him Vegas had missed 6 doses. When the test came back "low" and he wanted to up his dose I reminded him of the fact that Vegas had thrown up 3 days worth of meds. He then wanted to rerun the tests now that he was eating. So, I let them. When I asked for the fees to be waived, I was told I could get a discount only. So, I brought it up to the owner and she was shocked that I had to pay. She credited that visit to me. But nothing on Orion. She said she probably developed the ulcer after the 1st visit. (that's why I wrote I needed and answer ASAP from my phone)
    Sorry for the quick rambling....we are off for a night of "rock 'n roll bowling. Which isn't fair because I will have to do it left handed due to my injury

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Awww! Poor O! I think that clinic is full of it ... Maybe I'm mistaken in my memory of what happened with O's eye - but didn't they not do any tests to see if she had an ulcer in the first place?! That's so frustrating. Hope you had fun bowling (minus the hand injury) after such a crazy day! Keep us posted on Miss O's eyes. I think of her daily when I look at Chunk's healing eyes. They are healing so nicely! However, they are still have a decent amout of mucous so I'm sure we will be doing drops for dry eye. We have to see this eye dr this week so I guess we will see.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We did have fun bowling. We had 11 people. I bowled a 37 my first game! I guess that was pretty good for doing it left handed. I did improve slightly my 2nd next game. My 3rd game I bowled a 42. What's funny is that I wasn't the lowest scorer that night.

The 1st clinic says she didn't have an ulcer the first time around. But it was over a week before I took O in to be rechecked.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I think it's a good job you went to that second opinion! Overall, you're going to be happier with this new vet, and it's such a shame that you have to stick with the first vet for Vegas because of the need for emergencies. At least the owner of the clinic seemed to be reasonable!

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Libra926 - I would get a 37 on a REGULAR day!

Live Genuinely

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads