Allergy medication-new - cytopoint or CADI shots

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Took Lambeau to vet today because he had a green puss filled sore on the bottom of paw Wednesday night. I had popped and cleaned but wanted it checked anyway... it was an ulcer that was becoming infected and we had no idea it was there till he started limping on Wednesday night.

So, looking at Lambeau, Dr. Hatfield asked how much do the allergies bother him... we said spring/fall are horrible for him and he is consistently scratching his ears and face. She talked to us about Apoquel but told us a better option is 'canine atopic dermatitis immunotherapy' . Not a serum of allergens, it works with the system as a protein/amino acids. It is one shot a month and you could see improvements within hours.

I'll keep you all posted on how he does... so hoping it gives him so relief. I'm gonna go read more about it and find the other name for it... she said it to me a few times but can't remember it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the info. Hope Lambeau feels better soon! Wonder what's in it. Keep us posted!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sorry to hear about Lambeau. Could it be Cytopoint, which targets and neutralizes interleukin (IL)-31, a key itch-inducing cytokine in atopic dermatitis? It's supposed to be quite expensive but much safer than apoquel. It's not like the allergy shots or sublingual drops you are used to thinking of that that the vet gives your dog after he's tested positive for specific triggers like grass pollens, Those are small amounts of the allergic substances that desensitize the dog.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry to hear about Lambeau. Could it be Cytopoint, which targets and neutralizes interleukin (IL)-31, a key itch-inducing cytokine in atopic dermatitis? It's supposed to be quite expensive but much safer than apoquel. It's not like the allergy shots or sublingual drops you are used to thinking of that that the vet gives your dog after he's tested positive for specific triggers like grass pollens, Those are small amounts of the allergic substances that desensitize the dog.

I think that is the name... sounds like it cytopoint... might be it

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Poor guy! But let me know how it works out. You know Jax and all of his environmental allergies. He is on Apoquel and biweekly allergy shots so I am curious how well this new stuff works. I think it is still fairly new so potential side effects may not be known. Jax does fine on Apoquel but Spring is here and he's already getting itchier.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Interesting - keep us posted! And we hope his paw heals soon.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If I had a dog on apoquel and I could afford cytopoint I would switch to it- I would say it's a lot safer from what I've read about it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If I had a dog on apoquel and I could afford cytopoint I would switch to it- I would say it's a lot safer from what I've read about it.

I'll have to look into the Cytopoint. I have insurance for Jax and medication for his allergies are covered under it at 90%.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Lambeau shot was $90

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lambeau shot was $90

$90 isn't too bad especially if it works! I pay $58 every month for Apoquel. I'm going to read up on the Cytopoint and then talk to the dermatologist. I wonder if it's available everywhere. I remember when Apoquel came out, sometimes it was hard to get.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online