Worried about bee stings/ respiratory arrest !!!

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
Our sweet Meaty has had THREE incidences in his 8 years where something (?)** stung him, and his face swelled quickly, which we all know can lead to the throat closing. Each time, we gave him Benadryl immediately and RUSHED him to the closest emergency vet. Thank God, his throat never completely closed; but the last time, his breathing was becoming so labored, it was SCARY! Unfortunately, the closest ER vet for us is a half-hour away.

For anybully that's worried about this---I wanted y'all to know that our vet sold us a syringe filled with that steroid they inject for this (sorry, I can't remember the name of it---but it's similar to Epinephrine). Now that the warm weather is here, I am constantly worried about bees (and other
scary insects!) It kills me that even if they just go outside for a quick potty; their life is in danger.:(

The vet told us he lost one of his bulldogs VERY quickly from something similar.....:( His was stung by a centipede and went into respiratory arrest before they could get him to his office for an injection. :(

**all three times, the vets, assistants, and us could NEVER find the actual SITE of the sting, so we really have no idea what stung him?

OP
TooTooMommy

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I forgot to say that I also HATE that although they LOVE to be outside, I'm so worried about a bee sting, I've only been letting them out briefly. It's so sad that I'm forcing them to be inside all the time.

I'm also praying their
flea/ tick prevention will work as it always has! I keep hearing the ticks are extra bad this year (in the U.S.). The
other day, my husband had several ticks crawl on his leg---which he brushed off quickly---but one was stuck on his back. Thank goodness we
pulled it out quickly! But I'm so afraid of the doggies getting them, too!

If anybully can help me what YOU do, and help me STOP worrying so much, I'd appreciate it! :)

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I recall way back my doberman was outside playing and I hear scratching on the door. I go look through the door window and I swear I had to pulse for a second asking myself "is that Gypsy?" He was so stung all over his body he was twice as wide. He went in a red ant's nest. Went to the vet asap and yes gave him a shot immediately. :whew:

OP
TooTooMommy

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION].....Oh wow, that must've been SO horrible for him, poor guy !!!! :( And TWICE AS WIDE??? You must've been
terrified !!! Was he having any breathing issues? How far was the vet? Sooo glad he was okay!!! :)

P.S....I never even considered red ants.....oh noooo.....one MORE thing to
watch out for! GAH !! :fie:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION].....Oh wow, that must've been SO horrible for him, poor guy !!!! :( And TWICE AS WIDE??? You must've been
terrified !!! Was he having any breathing issues? How far was the vet? Sooo glad he was okay!!! :)

P.S....I never even considered red ants.....oh noooo.....one MORE thing to
watch out for! GAH !! :fie:

I swear I didn't recognize him had to do a double take. His breathing was fine go figure. Got home after the vet put him in a cold bath to help the swelling go down. He was fine the next day. Oh yes did get rid of that nest!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had this happen to Banks twice... never able to identify the cause and all we could do was watch for her to show signs of itching or hives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It wouldn't hurt to carry the standard adult Epi-pen 0.3mg for dogs over 45 pounds or Epi-pen junior for dogs 20-45 pounds. If your dog collapses, experiences vomiting, diarrhea or difficulty breathing you give one dose subcutaneously and then bring dog to vet immediately, since this only buys a half hour.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
But you failed to mention... cainbrake & timber, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads, black widows, and brown recluse spiders. We live in a dangerous world.
The stuff the Vet gave you is good. Keep it handy at all times...especially when you are traveling. I have an Epi pen for myself but never considered carrying just for the dogs. Hmmmm...THANKS!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
But you failed to mention... cainbrake & timber, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads, black widows, and brown recluse spiders. We live in a dangerous world

Arent you lucky you're not living in the Amazon or Australia lol hmmmm kangaroo steak sounds good!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The best thing you can do is what you did, give Benedryl as soon as it happens. The liquid will work faster. You can also give a double dose right away too.

OP
TooTooMommy

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, everybully!
And I didn't realize we could give a DOUBLE dose of Benadryl! I also didn't realize they make Epi
pens for dogs---I am going to ask our vet !!! Thank you!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There's no epipen for dogs, it's the human one you would use.

Thank you, everybully!
And I didn't realize we could give a DOUBLE dose of Benadryl! I also didn't realize they make Epi
pens for dogs---I am going to ask our vet !!! Thank you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online