Help Needed! NEED HELP! ITCHING UNDER CHIN! 8 MONTH OLD BULLY. RED SPOTS!!

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hi Guys
My wife and I are in need of some help here.
Our 8 Month old Lucy is scratching under her chin like crazy causing these red marks.
We don't know what it could be
Only thing that has changed was she was on Fromm's Heartland Puppy, Now she is on Fromm's 4 star Hasen Duckenpfeffer.
Could it be something in the food? environmental? carpets?
We have no idea. No other issues like hives or anything.
Maybe a tiny bit of loose stools.
I have attached pictures.
Any info helps!!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170413_190009.jpg
    20170413_190009.jpg
    970.3 KB · Views: 972
  • 20170413_190040.jpg
    20170413_190040.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 613
  • 20170413_190042.jpg
    20170413_190042.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 170

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If she didn't have it before you changed the food, most likely its the food. Unless you just washed your carpets, floors, beddings with new soap. If nothing has been changed but the food, I would look into that issue. Did you do a transition from puppy to adult food slowly or you changed over without transition? Did she get any new shots? You're in Canada, if you want less issues with food stick to Acana with one protein. Like that its much easier to determine if Lucy has allergies towards ex... beef, duck, fish, lamb well you'll know what to avoid with her. Im more of an Acana or Orijen if it's kibbles. Since there's duck in the new fromm try like Acana lamb. Just an example. :) oh and to determine allergies, takes a good month.

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
hey
Thanks for the reply
She only does it in the pm
Like 2 hours after dinner.
She goes all day without scratching and then around 7 8pm she starts. If it was the food wouldn't she start scratching after breakfast?
As for the transition took just under a month.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
hey
Thanks for the reply
She only does it in the pm
Like 2 hours after dinner.
She goes all day without scratching and then around 7 8pm she starts. If it was the food wouldn't she start scratching after breakfast?
As for the transition took just under a month.

Just a thought, does she lay down shortly after eating her evening meal and not her morning meal? Maybe a moist chin is causing irritation?

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
yea sometimes she usually lays down on her carpet after she eats.
but usually we wipe her face and chin after eating and drinking
we are wondering could it be maybe from the dog park? sniffing around?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Make sure she doesn't rub her face on any plastic, ie take away plastic feeding bowls and plastic toys, just in case that's a factor.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
yea sometimes she usually lays down on her carpet after she eats.
but usually we wipe her face and chin after eating and drinking
we are wondering could it be maybe from the dog park? sniffing around?

But she probably lays on the same carpet in the day....right? And yet it's only at night this happens..... Unless her digestion is slow....

Lets see what others says. I still think its the food...
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] what do you think?

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
yea I knew about the plastic issues, and nothing she has or around her is plastic
food bowls are stainless steel.
anybody think I should keep the feeding the same food. she has been on it for about 1 week. and it just started 2 days ago.
thanks

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor baby. For now clean the area, be sure to keep it dry. You can administer Benadryl so it doesn't itch.

You could test another flavor perhaps. Or even feed bland for a few days and see if her face clears up. 1 week is enough time for the food to set it and her to react so the food could very well be the culprit... especially if nothing else has changed. That, or environmental, sad thing is it's a guessing game for the most part until you see improvement.

Fromms is interchangeable so read the ingredients in the one you feed now and try another that has different ingredients. No need to transition if it's fromms to fromms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
is pollen beginning to show up there in Canada? It always settles on a horizontal surface, ie, the ground...so it would contact the chin and belly first and foremost. How does the belly look, and the area inside the knees and wherever the fur is sparse.

That area can turn into a hot spot over night if left for her to scratch. A cone of shame may be necessary while you sort this out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be the food switch to the Fromm pork and peas.... i had a similar issue with that flavor and the Lamb and lentils --- turned out Lambeau is allergic to lamb

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
It could be the food switch to the Fromm pork and peas.... i had a similar issue with that flavor and the Lamb and lentils --- turned out Lambeau is allergic to lamb

Just wondering if we should continue for another week with the duck fromms? Or switch her food right away?
As we are at my moms house. And she hasnt scratched once yet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just wondering if we should continue for another week with the duck fromms? Or switch her food right away?
As we are at my moms house. And she hasnt scratched once yet.

Interesting...if she continues to not scrath,it is definetly something in your home and not the food

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Im lost lol.. ok now she doesn't scratch at your moms but only your house? Like mentioned would be your place and not the food if you haven't changed it.

[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] no pollen....hasn't started in Canada. Weather is like on and off with either snow, rain, cold then back with snow... Welcome to Canada lol

OP
L

Lucyinthe6ix

Nov 29, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Im lost lol.. ok now she doesn't scratch at your moms but only your house? Like mentioned would be your place and not the food if you haven't changed it.

[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] no pollen....hasn't started in Canada. Weather is like on and off with either snow, rain, cold then back with snow... Welcome to Canada lol

Hey yea no pollen yet.
So we switched her food from fromms duck to fromms beef.
Just wondering how long does the old food stay in their systems for? We already notice a difference in her poops. Just still scratching a bit on her face.
Would coconut oil or apple cider vinegar help with anything? Also we have salmon oil too.
Just not sure exactly whats the best approach.
Thanks Guys.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.