Red Eyes??

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Do any of your bullies have red eyes? Its not all of the time but I feel bad for Roxi so I will put some drops in to help. I know things are beginning to bloom so that may be one reason but her eyes would get red in the winter too.
She is eating Nature's Logic-Beef (will switch to another flavor when this bag runs out) and gets pumpkin and yogurt sometimes too.
I am just unsure as so why her eyes seem so red :confused:

IMG_0640[1].jpgIMG_0636[1].jpgIMG_0637[1].jpg
I just woke her up from a nap :mad: she wasn't too happy in these pictures.

I have searched for other threads about this topic but wasn't able to find anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

heff101

Looks to me like a slight cherry eye. Very common in bulldogs. Matter of fact had one cherry eye done on Heff when we got him neutered. The vet only charged me 40 bucks to do it.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I recall when I first took Sarge to the vet as a pup for his check up. The vet stated, "Look at his eyes see this red area I wanted to bring this to your attention. His third eye lid [I believe he called it] is red. It's nothing unusual but some dogs are just more darker than others. So when you notice it please don't stress over it. He's fine." Now I do notice that when he sleeps in later...that it's less red.

H

heff101

3rd eye lid when it "pops" out is called a cherry eye. I know with Heff I could massage it back in but the minute he got excited and playing hard out it would come. So figured may as well deal with it while he is under for his neutering.
I am sure if you use the search engine on this site and search Cherry Eye you will find plenty of information.

H

heff101

Do any of your bullies have red eyes? Its not all of the time but I feel bad for Roxi so I will put some drops in to help. I know things are beginning to bloom so that may be one reason but her eyes would get red in the winter too.
She is eating Nature's Logic-Beef (will switch to another flavor when this bag runs out) and gets pumpkin and yogurt sometimes too.
I am just unsure as so why her eyes seem so red :confused:

View attachment 6299View attachment 6300View attachment 6301
I just woke her up from a nap :mad: she wasn't too happy in these pictures.

I have searched for other threads about this topic but wasn't able to find anything.

Best advise I can give you would be to take him to a vet and have them look at them.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think she looks fine, bully eyes tend to have that red appearance and that 3rd eyelid down there- and the whites can look so bloodshot sometimes.

This is when I know my bullies are in top health, their eyes seem brighter and less red. Jesse its fromm surf and turf. Yuna is Natures Variety Instinct rabbit. Molly when I give her Nuvet for a few days in a row. So now they are all on Beef frittata and it is great for all, but like I say, they seem to have brighter eyes on the other foods. Not sure if I am making sense!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@RoxiBear - So are you referring to the minor cherry eye Roxi has? If so, there's nothing to worry about. It's not hurting her, it's more so an aesthetic thing. If Roxi was my bully, I'd wait until it further pops out (if it does) before I consider surgery. She may even outgrow it too and go back in. Surgeries should always be the last resort for bullies as they carry many risks.

My Stig's cherry eye has been out for more than a couple of months now and even more so than Roxi's pic. He's still the spunky bully as always. We try to massage it back in whenever he's well rested, which I find is the best time to do so for some reason. We scheduled his surgery this coming April after very much thought.

H

heff101

@RoxiBear - So are you referring to the minor cherry eye Roxi has? If so, there's nothing to worry about. It's not hurting her, it's more so an aesthetic thing. If Roxi was my bully, I'd wait until it further pops out (if it does) before I consider surgery. She may even outgrow it too and go back in. Surgeries should always be the last resort for bullies as they carry many risks.

My Stig's cherry eye has been out for more than a couple of months now and even more so than Roxi's pic. He's still the spunky bully as always. We try to massage it back in whenever he's well rested, which I find is the best time to do so for some reason. We scheduled his surgery this coming April after very much thought.

From what I have read leaving a cherry eye out to long will cause dryness in the eye and possible infection.
You can read tons of pros and cons going either way in regards to surgery but I sat down with my vet who I trust and after him explaining the real pros and cons I elected to have it removed. You can not even tell it was done.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] - that's what I thought this thread was about. =) Is it [MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION]? lol.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] --She actually had cherry eye surgery about 3-4 months ago on her left eye (the last picture in my original post). A day or two after the surgery she had to go back because one of her stitches was stratching her eye. So, basically they had to redo the surgery. Her eye healed quickly from the stratches and there is no scarring or permanent damage. Her left third eyelid is more red than the other one but I figured that was normal since it did have to be operated on two times within a matter of 3 days. She has been back to the vet since to get fixed and check-ups and the vet hasn't said anything about anything being wrong with her eyes.

[MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] --It's the bloodshot eyes I was really worried about and when her eyelids do become very red. I didn't know other bulldogs got bloodshot eyes :eek: and was afraid something was wrong with my little one. They do seem to get worse as the day goes on and better if she takes a nap. :luv:

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i'm with [MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] on the tired eyes. my Bullet gets reddish/pinkish looking eyes some evenings when i know he has had a very active day. he sits at my feet and looks all tired and red eyed. i ask him if he wants to go to bed and he scurries to our room. ;) he wakes up without the redness in the morning.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH gets bloodshot eyes. The left more than the right. I notice it more in the mornings. I asked the vet about it when we first got her, and he gave me some drops, they didn't seem to make any difference. She used to get eye boogers but now almost never has them with the change of food to fromm beef fritatta. She doesn't act like it bothers her though, so we haven't really done any more checking.
If she started fussing or rubbing her face on things then I would think a vet check would be the best bet.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] --She actually had cherry eye surgery about 3-4 months ago on her left eye (the last picture in my original post). A day or two after the surgery she had to go back because one of her stitches was stratching her eye. So, basically they had to redo the surgery. Her eye healed quickly from the stratches and there is no scarring or permanent damage. Her left third eyelid is more red than the other one but I figured that was normal since it did have to be operated on two times within a matter of 3 days. She has been back to the vet since to get fixed and check-ups and the vet hasn't said anything about anything being wrong with her eyes.

[MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] --It's the bloodshot eyes I was really worried about and when her eyelids do become very red. I didn't know other bulldogs got bloodshot eyes :eek: and was afraid something was wrong with my little one. They do seem to get worse as the day goes on and better if she takes a nap. :luv:

That's what is great about Forums...people can share their own experiences...and if they feel it too is a problem. Then you can seek out medical attention. I've had bulldogs for over 20+ yrs...and trust me other peoples experiences can still enlighten me. ;) Had the vet not pointed out Sarge's third eye and it being naturally more red than some. [Though on a good morning that he can sleep in they are actually quite pinkish white verses red] I would never had put that together. And most likely called for an appointment over the redness.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I looked at the photos and couldn't really see any cherry eye ... although neither of my bullies have had them so I'm probably not the best person to comment on it.

From your original post I thought you were talking about the pinkness around the eye .... I agree with what a lot of people have said on here that it could just be a sign of tiredness!!!

Most Reactions