Tail Pocket!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I cant believe that with all the reading I do, and just read!!! that I could have let this happen!! Hank has never had even small issue with tail pocket. I gave him his bath about 4 days ago, and he was playing so much after with the towel that I'm guessing I just didn't dry the area... Poor guy is sooooooo uncomfortable! I have wiped clean with hiberclens (didn't dilute :( and that I think made it hurt worse!! ) and then used the destine when dry. How many times a day can I do the destine? I told him I'm so sorry that hes hurting, but its not my fault.......... WRONG!! it was my fault,.. I know better and just still blew it! So, a couple days he has to hurt b4 it starts to ease up? and is there something I can give him to ease the hurt??? He is sleeping pretty good most of the day, but dang makes me so sorry for him...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh, it happens... Willow has a very tight bun tail, and sometimes I forget to clean hers out good. I would say you could use the Desitin twice a day, and that should help clear it up. Sometimes they can get infected, but I'm sure you will know when it gets to that point. You will want to clean him w/a baby wipe and dry it out good after he goes #2 until that clears up.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks so much! I haven't had to (clean that area) for quite a while but I will make a point of it... thanks!
Oh gosh, it happens... Willow has a very tight bun tail, and sometimes I forget to clean hers out good. I would say you could use the Desitin twice a day, and that should help clear it up. Sometimes they can get infected, but I'm sure you will know when it gets to that point. You will want to clean him w/a baby wipe and dry it out good after he goes #2 until that clears up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Don't beat yourself up... it happens.. it was a single miss .

As Tracey suggested... desitin twice a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
After a bath let mine air dry. I clean his tail pocket the day after. If you want to blow dry, I suggest you dry your hair with him in the same room and shoot blasts of air his way from time to time. This is how I trained mine to be ok with the dryer. His hair is so short though that he dries quickly.

I usually take a baby wipe and apply witch hazel and then get up in there with a swipe to clean. Is his tail pocket bloody? For lesser infections, I would clean with witch hazel and apply desitin twice a day until the soreness is gone. Depending on his tail and how high above the anus it is I would do this after pooping.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks folks!! doing all the above :) He seems some better. It was awful and now, hes able to walk across the room without sitting :( and though I loved his super sweet self, I knew it was because he was hurting :(

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Glad it's working !!! If it gets worse use antibiotic ointment instead of Desitin after cleaning and drying.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like Neosporin? or ??

Like I said numerous times, I swear by this.... it is NOT just for ears but I use it every 2nd day for Nyala's TP! Witch Hazel stings if it's infected. Dog will yelp and not look at you for days lollll.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated *coconut oil* on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The arborvitae ingredient is very hard to get in Canada !!!! If it's infected, and you can't get those essential oils, you can also try this out ( I previously posted this ):

If pocket is ever really sore then put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

A few drops
Like I said numerous times, I swear by this.... it is NOT just for ears but I use it every 2nd day for Nyala's TP! Witch Hazel stings if it's infected. Dog will yelp and not look at you for days lollll.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated *coconut oil* on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] So sorry this happened, glad it's improving! I've been in your shoes and we've both learned a big lesson that we will use going forward, but don't beat yourself up, please! Just stick with the advise and it will get better. There's a spray form of neosporin and I used that until Joey's pocket stopped bleeding and smelling. It took a good 6 or 7 days to improve then I concentrated on cleaning, drying, and desitin. It will heal 100%! Keep us posted friend!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It can happen to the best of bully moms. If he's sleeping well and not restless and pacing then he's not in any measureable pain. Just treat it using the advice you've been given here and try to be more watchful in the future. I bet it's happened to most of us (with tight-tail bullies)at least once. Live a learn. Your feeling guilty only serves to show how much you love him.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
first place I came to this morn :) sooooooooooooooooo, he did sleep ok last night but, though he's always had no issue with me cleaning that out (infact liked it) but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this morning is having a royal, somewhat aggressive (NEVER an aggressive bone in his body) issue with me cleaning it... so! I cleaned out a bottle with a sort of pointy end to it so I can squirt stuff in there but want to make sure it doesn't hurt worse............and then, IF I can get it in, how to dry out now with this strength and attitude? I will go get more supplies today,,, but what I have as of now are....... betadine, chlorhexidine, malacetic wipes, medicated antibacterial and antifungal spray, vetericyn, and of course witch hazel other that the witch! which would be better for a quick squirt??? .... as of oils,,, I have peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, and wintergreen. I've previously gotten from young living, and fine to do so but need to get the frankincense and other and I know that will take a bit. Helsonwheels, do you know of where ships fast? and good? My friend is a 'young living' distributer, bit that takes a while so though I can put in an order, it may not be fast enough... amazon??? and fractionated coconut oil??? I have the organic stuff but it's not liquid.... Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for the 'suggestion to not beat oneself up'... kinda hard huh ;( but appreciated!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The arborvitae ingredient is very hard to get in Canada !!!!

I asked my massage therapist. But you can order it online. It's basically a Thuja tree.... Arborvitae Trees*are evergreens from the cypress family. Easy to grow and maintain, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes, like the American*arborvitae tree*that is wide and cone shaped, while the pyramidalis, are skinnier. The globe*arborvitae*is a rounded shrub that will only grow to a few feet off the ground.

do Terra sells it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.