Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Default Tail Pocket!!

I cant believe that with all the reading I do, and just read!!! that I could have let this happen!! Hank has never had even small issue with tail pocket. I gave him his bath about 4 days ago, and he was playing so much after with the towel that I'm guessing I just didn't dry the area... Poor guy is sooooooo uncomfortable! I have wiped clean with hiberclens (didn't dilute and that I think made it hurt worse!! ) and then used the destine when dry. How many times a day can I do the destine? I told him I'm so sorry that hes hurting, but its not my fault.......... WRONG!! it was my fault,.. I know better and just still blew it! So, a couple days he has to hurt b4 it starts to ease up? and is there something I can give him to ease the hurt??? He is sleeping pretty good most of the day, but dang makes me so sorry for him...

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tail Pocket!!

Oh gosh, it happens... Willow has a very tight bun tail, and sometimes I forget to clean hers out good. I would say you could use the Desitin twice a day, and that should help clear it up. Sometimes they can get infected, but I'm sure you will know when it gets to that point. You will want to clean him w/a baby wipe and dry it out good after he goes #2 until that clears up.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

3. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels, sisters3 liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

thanks so much! I haven't had to (clean that area) for quite a while but I will make a point of it... thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Oh gosh, it happens... Willow has a very tight bun tail, and sometimes I forget to clean hers out good. I would say you could use the Desitin twice a day, and that should help clear it up. Sometimes they can get infected, but I'm sure you will know when it gets to that point. You will want to clean him w/a baby wipe and dry it out good after he goes #2 until that clears up.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Don't beat yourself up... it happens.. it was a single miss .

As Tracey suggested... desitin twice a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

7. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

After a bath let mine air dry. I clean his tail pocket the day after. If you want to blow dry, I suggest you dry your hair with him in the same room and shoot blasts of air his way from time to time. This is how I trained mine to be ok with the dryer. His hair is so short though that he dries quickly.

I usually take a baby wipe and apply witch hazel and then get up in there with a swipe to clean. Is his tail pocket bloody? For lesser infections, I would clean with witch hazel and apply desitin twice a day until the soreness is gone. Depending on his tail and how high above the anus it is I would do this after pooping.

9. Likes 2BullyMama, sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

thanks folks!! doing all the above He seems some better. It was awful and now, hes able to walk across the room without sitting and though I loved his super sweet self, I knew it was because he was hurting

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Glad it's working !!! If it gets worse use antibiotic ointment instead of Desitin after cleaning and drying.

13. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Like Neosporin? or ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    Glad it's working !!! If it gets worse use antibiotic ointment instead of Desitin after cleaning and drying.

15. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

any antibiotic cream eg. neosporin cream, polysporin cream, silver sulfadiazine cream
    But it's getting better so stick with the desitin,

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    Like Neosporin? or ??

17. Likes Hankster liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    Like Neosporin? or ??
    Like I said numerous times, I swear by this.... it is NOT just for ears but I use it every 2nd day for Nyala's TP! Witch Hazel stings if it's infected. Dog will yelp and not look at you for days lollll.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated *coconut oil* on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

The arborvitae ingredient is very hard to get in Canada !!!! If it's infected, and you can't get those essential oils, you can also try this out ( I previously posted this ):

If pocket is ever really sore then put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

A few drops
    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Like I said numerous times, I swear by this.... it is NOT just for ears but I use it every 2nd day for Nyala's TP! Witch Hazel stings if it's infected. Dog will yelp and not look at you for days lollll.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated *coconut oil* on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

@Hankster So sorry this happened, glad it's improving! I've been in your shoes and we've both learned a big lesson that we will use going forward, but don't beat yourself up, please! Just stick with the advise and it will get better. There's a spray form of neosporin and I used that until Joey's pocket stopped bleeding and smelling. It took a good 6 or 7 days to improve then I concentrated on cleaning, drying, and desitin. It will heal 100%! Keep us posted friend!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads