Tail Pocket!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I wouldn't use the witch hazel since it's astringent and may hurt. First try giving him a dry wipe to see if he will let you touch the area. If he will, then squirt in some malaseb or curaseb or chlorhexidine or betadine very dilute mixture from a spray bottle and then dry it with a paper towel and then spray on some antifungal antibacterial spray or put on antibiotic cream. If he won't let you touch the area at all you don't want to wet it, just spray on the antifungal antibacterial spray. My dog doesn't have a tail pocket so someone else may have a better suggestion. If he's getting worse by tomorrow I would buy him a muzzle and someone hold him while you do the cleaning and drying and creaming,

first place I came to this morn :) sooooooooooooooooo, he did sleep ok last night but, though he's always had no issue with me cleaning that out (infact liked it) but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this morning is having a royal, somewhat aggressive (NEVER an aggressive bone in his body) issue with me cleaning it... so! I cleaned out a bottle with a sort of pointy end to it so I can squirt stuff in there but want to make sure it doesn't hurt worse............and then, IF I can get it in, how to dry out now with this strength and attitude? I will go get more supplies today,,, but what I have as of now are....... betadine, chlorhexidine, malacetic wipes, medicated antibacterial and antifungal spray, vetericyn, and of course witch hazel other that the witch! which would be better for a quick squirt??? .... as of oils,,, I have peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, and wintergreen. I've previously gotten from young living, and fine to do so but need to get the frankincense and other and I know that will take a bit. Helsonwheels, do you know of where ships fast? and good? My friend is a 'young living' distributer, bit that takes a while so though I can put in an order, it may not be fast enough... amazon??? and fractionated coconut oil??? I have the organic stuff but it's not liquid.... Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for the 'suggestion to not beat oneself up'... kinda hard huh ;( but appreciated!!!

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you so much,,,, again,,,, for this,,. I found that it's at least on the side so it was a bit easier to get to w/o having to get so pushy.. going to do another 'spray' of betadine shortly and head to bed.. He's ready. He acted much better today so hopefully tomorrow will be even better.. these guys are STRONG when they hurt! He's been better though that the first attempt.
I wouldn't use the witch hazel since it's astringent and may hurt. First try giving him a dry wipe to see if he will let you touch the area. If he will, then squirt in some malaseb or curaseb or chlorhexidine or betadine very dilute mixture from a spray bottle and then dry it with a paper towel and then spray on some antifungal antibacterial spray or put on antibiotic cream. If he won't let you touch the area at all you don't want to wet it, just spray on the antifungal antibacterial spray. My dog doesn't have a tail pocket so someone else may have a better suggestion. If he's getting worse by tomorrow I would buy him a muzzle and someone hold him while you do the cleaning and drying and creaming,

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
These bullies have an extremely high pain tolerance. My British bully bit off the top layer of my French bullies nose yesterday while they were playing ( while I was watching ). The nose bled for a couple of hours and the Frenchie didn't even flinch. I put a bit of coconut oil initially on it to clean it up but it's dried up today already. I didn't give either bully any anti inflammatory pain killers after their spaying because they were both throwing up that night and next morning, and I didn't want to cause any anti inflammatory induced stomach ulcer or kidney damage, and they were walking around like nothing had happened.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg!! Must have been a bit of a fun night for you! Sounds like the pooches just fine! glad 'frenchie' just fine.. :)
These bullies have an extremely high pain tolerance. My British bully bit off the top layer of my French bullies nose yesterday while they were playing ( while I was watching ). The nose bled for a couple of hours and the Frenchie didn't even flinch. I put a bit of coconut oil initially on it to clean it up but it's dried up today already. I didn't give either bully any anti inflammatory pain killers after their spaying because they were both throwing up that night and next morning, and I didn't want to cause any anti inflammatory induced stomach ulcer or kidney damage, and they were walking around like nothing had happened.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'll probably get around to it once of these days :) The do Terra brand is very expensive, and I'm getting by ok for now with pharmaceutical alternatives which are cheaper. These bullies are a challenge- I have a bully who chews her paws and have tried 3 different dog foods, colostrum, antihistamines,fish oil, coconut oil, turmeric, and have put bitter solution on her paws, betadine soaks, duoxo pads, selsun blue on her paws and so far no change. The next step is dehydrated raw food. I really don't want to start her on apoquel since it can cause skin cancer and immune suppression, and I'm sure that new Cytopoint is extremely expensive.

I asked my massage therapist. But you can order it online. It's basically a Thuja tree.... Arborvitae Trees*are evergreens from the cypress family. Easy to grow and maintain, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes, like the American*arborvitae tree*that is wide and cone shaped, while the pyramidalis, are skinnier. The globe*arborvitae*is a rounded shrub that will only grow to a few feet off the ground.

do Terra sells it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'll probably get around to it once of these days :) The do Terra brand is very expensive, and I'm getting by ok for now with pharmaceutical alternatives which are cheaper. These bullies are a challenge- I have a bully who chews her paws and have tried 3 different dog foods, colostrum, antihistamines,fish oil, coconut oil, turmeric, and have put bitter solution on her paws, betadine soaks, duoxo pads, selsun blue on her paws and so far no change. The next step is dehydrated raw food. I really don't want to start her on apoquel since it can cause skin cancer and immune suppression, and I'm sure that new Cytopoint is extremely expensive.

Just gave you a brand but trust me i DONT buy doTerra or Young Living. I refuse to pay for their marketing. Mine is from New Directions Aromatic from Canada. I paid $15 for 15ml Arborvitae Wild (thuja occidentalis) Lot# 11004 -B04

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Awww helsonwheels, I forgot your in canada... It was 75 dollars i think for the frankincense and no idea on the arborvitae so looking for alternative place (dont know if you saw my post) to buy as well instead of young living. since im not going that route,,,, can you tell me what wording i should look for when purchasing say off amazon??? price differences horrendous!!

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I swear by triple antibiotic ointment. I use cheap meijer brand but I don't think it really matters. I use it in whoppers nose rope a couple times a week and tail pocket if needed. Only use in tail pocket if it gets like what happened with Hank. Otherwise he gets one gentle swipe under there with a baby wipe. I found that messing with it too much or simply over wiping can cause problems too. I hope Hank feels better soon. Good luck.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you and yes... that's I believe what I have as well.. and I'm almost thinking that I dried it to vigorously after his bath,, or didn't rinse as well as the rest of him... Not exactly sure what I did as he has swam and been in LOTS of water b4 and this is the first with this :( Sooooo, hows Whopper?
I swear by triple antibiotic ointment. I use cheap meijer brand but I don't think it really matters. I use it in whoppers nose rope a couple times a week and tail pocket if needed. Only use in tail pocket if it gets like what happened with Hank. Otherwise he gets one gentle swipe under there with a baby wipe. I found that messing with it too much or simply over wiping can cause problems too. I hope Hank feels better soon. Good luck.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Whopper is doing very good. Seems like in the last couple days I can really notice a major improvement. Even people that stop by have noticed his breathing is much less noisy. Today marks two weeks since surgery.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I had a bulldog named magnus that had a somewhat longer tail, no tight pocket....it was completely away from his body and never had to be cleaned. Even he ended up with some kind of agitation once. Not sure what caused it but I noticed one day that it was agitated and swollen and red. I just cleaned it up with warm soapy water and put that ointment on it for a handful of days and it cleared right up. So maybe hanks issue had nothing to do with anything you did or didn't do. It may have just gotten irritated on its own.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I know that if I am too thorough with cleaning, tail pocket or nose rope, I end up causing more problems.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Sometimes I will even skip a day of grooming. Not often. Just like once every couple of weeks. Just so he has some time where he's not being poked and prodded by me. Lol. My wife is always yelling at me... "leave that dog alone for once. Stop fussing with him"!

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
this is especially funny to me as......... Hanks dad thinks I WAY over do with Hank. He doesn't realize that he got a BULLDOG! and that's for real! He just got this dog that he knew nothing about just wanted forever not knowing what he was getting into... That's why I have him :) in ways I lucked out, but ohhhhhhhhhhhhh do they take more upkeep than my average mutt ;)
Sometimes I will even skip a day of grooming. Not often. Just like once every couple of weeks. Just so he has some time where he's not being poked and prodded by me. Lol. My wife is always yelling at me... "leave that dog alone for once. Stop fussing with him"!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
this is especially funny to me as......... Hanks dad thinks I WAY over do with Hank. He doesn't realize that he got a BULLDOG! and that's for real! He just got this dog that he knew nothing about just wanted forever not knowing what he was getting into... That's why I have him :) in ways I lucked out, but ohhhhhhhhhhhhh do they take more upkeep than my average mutt ;)

I'm always cleaning and wiping and doing something to Jax. And I will be doing the same with Louie when he comes home as he is even more wrinkly! When I saw him last, his tail was able to lift up so I am hoping I won't have tail pocket issues.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online