ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just gave the pups a good brushing, and Lily had told me the other day that Wally had some thin spots. His entire one side is almost bald, and I guess we didn't notice it because his skin is dark and it looked like his fur. When he was out in the sun you can really see the bald areas...

It's on both sides, and I'm 99% sure it's alopecia... but he has never had any of this before. I sent pics to the vet, but is there anything you can do for it besides the melatonin? What about giving benadryl?!! Ugh my poor boy :fie:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Sandy says have him tested for thyroid condition. Benadryl will likely do nothing to help this cosmetic condition, Melatonin might. She says it's odd that it's falling out in the Spring, a time when it usually fills in. Do not be alarmed about overall health. We've had lots of alopecia bullies come through, otherwise perfectly healthy.
Give Wally a kiss and a hug from us, please.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sandy says have him tested for thyroid condition. Benadryl will likely do nothing to help this cosmetic condition, Melatonin might. She says it's odd that it's falling out in the Spring, a time when it usually fills in. Do not be alarmed about overall health. We've had lots of alopecia bullies come through, otherwise perfectly healthy.
Give Wally a kiss and a hug from us, please.

Tell Sandy Thank YOU!!! He's gained some weight too, and I was thinking it was because of his neuter... BUT that could mean his thyroid. I will get him checked out...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow... Lambeau is experiencing this too. I thought i had it controlled-- looked good most of winter but now he has two spots that are VERY thin. I've been giving him vitamin D, looks like a thyroid check is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] really nothing you can do for it, it just has to run it's coarse. Definitely have the vet check his thyroid level to make sure it's not that. Probably just seasonal. BeBe got it once when she was 5 years old. Took forever for her hair to grow back, but she never got it again. Doesn't hurt anything, just looks bad.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would say it is less likely seasonal alopecia, because of season, but something else. I vote for thyroid check and look thoroughly for may be other signs of allergy.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm just curious....isn't spring when they loose hair? or more so in summer?? Course, I live in cali so mabie 'seasons' present their selves sooner??? while we're at the beach, some are still getting snow :/ I'm just asking because it would seem the right time '(here) to be loosing hair if they were going to... with all the pollens and shed for heat...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I found that if I gave melatonin during the winter,they didn't lose the hair. The first one to have it was Maude. Her hair fell out on both sides,skin turned black. Hair came back on one side,barely on the other. After that,I gave them Melatonin all the next winter. On Carlie and Martha,that next spring,the sides started to get darker,but then faded,and hair never fell out.Coincidence? Giving Maude melatonin AFTER the fact did nothing. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Maude did have a thyroid test at the time,it was fine.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow... Lambeau is experiencing this too. I thought i had it controlled-- looked good most of winter but now he has two spots that are VERY thin. I've been giving him vitamin D, looks like a thyroid check is needed

How much vitamin D are you giving him and what brand?!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm just curious....isn't spring when they loose hair? or more so in summer?? Course, I live in cali so mabie 'seasons' present their selves sooner??? while we're at the beach, some are still getting snow :/ I'm just asking because it would seem the right time '(here) to be loosing hair if they were going to... with all the pollens and shed for heat...

I always thought that they blow out their coat in the spring to thin out that winter bulk. Of course it's harder to tell w/this breed because of their small coarse hair... I know on other breeds such as goldens you can really tell. I agree w/you... we have cold days then super warm days I think it's hard to tell WHAT season we are in anymore.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How much vitamin D are you giving him and what brand?!!

2000IU per day-- Target brand

779343fa2edae3be5f18b569f4fdfe11.jpg

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Chip is right... have the thyroid checked. Our Tia lost hair on one of her hips and it ended up being hyperthyroidism. She takes Levothyroxine every day, once she started the medication her hair started growing back within a month. I also remember her skin was dark and a little bit scaly in that area.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Seasonal alopecia is hormonal and since Wally was Just neutered maybe jos hair loss is also hormonal. Maybe it Just takes jos body some Time to adjust. Vitamiinit D and Melatonin would Be My choice too.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Seasonal alopecia is hormonal and since Wally was Just neutered maybe jos hair loss is also hormonal. Maybe it Just takes jos body some Time to adjust. Vitamiinit D and Melatonin would Be My choice too.

I agree... it just seems so coincidental that this is the first time this has happened since his neuter.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.