Help Needed! Weight Loss from Giardia Parasite

Sarah818

Jan 24, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Country
Unites States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fitz
My 4 month old male Fitz was diagnosed with the Giardia parasite last week. My veterinarian prescribed him Metronidazole and Panacur. He is almost finished with the medications and he seems to be acting completely normal. No loose stools or vomiting! However my concern is that he has lost about 6 pounds in a very short amount of time. Does anyone have any tips on helping him gain the weight back? Like things that can be added to his food? Also, if anyone has had puppies who have had Giardia I would love any tips/things to watch out for. Thanks in advance!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor little guy! Keep in mind, giardia is very contagious and can take a long time to get rid of so keep all things clean.. bleach clean!

Weight gain.. add a little more food to each meal but not too much . How much at each meal do you currently feed? How many meals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sarah818

Jan 24, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Country
Unites States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Fitz
Poor little guy! Keep in mind, giardia is very contagious and can take a long time to get rid of so keep all things clean.. bleach clean!

Weight gain.. add a little more food to each meal but not too much . How much at each meal do you currently feed? How many meals?

That's good to know! My vet didn't give me very much information. I only know what I've been reading online, so thank you!

He is currently eating 1 cup 3x a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That's good to know! My vet didn't give me very much information. I only know what I've been reading online, so thank you!

He is currently eating 1 cup 3x a day.

He needs a little more with each meal.. there is a guide here -- I'll find and post

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Make sure to shampoo dog from head to anus on the last day of treatment, and clean all the surroundings to prevent reinfection. You usually empirically retreat for giardia a couple of weeks later since it's easy to recur, you can ask your vet about that. You don't want to give puppy too much food otherwise he will grow too fast and have orthopedic problems later. I'm not sure exact amount extra you should feed, but I would say not too much extra.

Make sure to give dog a good probiotic for a week after finishing eg. Proviable DC, Vetriscience Mega Probiotic, Probiotic Miracle etc. If you don't have access to one, give some milk kefir, low fat plain probiotic greek yoghurt, sauerkraut you buy from fridge section, etc.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also, here's some ideas for natural remedies you can give after to help treat or prevent worms:
2 tsps per day of diatomaceous earth,ground up pumpkin seeds ( 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds ), a clove or a bit less than a clove of garlic ground up, shredded carrot (1/2 tsp per 10 pounds), 2 tsp dried coconut, wheat germ oil or pumpkin seed oil (1/4 tsp per 10 pounds) , papaya (2-3 tsp), 1/2 clove, daily for 7-10 days.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My dog was diagnosed with Giardiasis, in Europe we have a treatment protocol for it - Drontal plus ( it must be plus variety), normal deworming dose for your dog weight, but for 3-4 days in a row. It is easier than the protocol your doctor recommends, but in the US you have no approved protocol for giardiasis like in Europe. Giardia is quite difficult to eliminate, so may be in case you need treatment again, keep in mind Drontal Plus ( hope it's available in US?).
Concerning weight loss, don't worry, he will regain it quickly, once the reason for trouble is gone, even if you won't increase amount of food.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you decide with the vet to do a repeat treatment around 2 weeks later, then you could just repeat with Fenbendazole (Panacur) 50 mg/kg/day for 5–10 days , I think that's gentler than the Drontal Plus large dog size daily for 3 days?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had a puppy that had this, and you would be surprised how FAST they gain the weight back... give it time, and he will be back to his ol' self again. I agree w/the gang BLEACH everything it is extremely contagious...

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If you decide with the vet to do a repeat treatment around 2 weeks later, then you could just repeat with Fenbendazole (Panacur) 50 mg/kg/day for 5–10 days , I think that's gentler than the Drontal Plus large dog size daily for 3 days?

Agree, also a very good option, Fenbendazole 50 mg per kg, and European standard is even a bit shorter, 3-5 days is considered to be enough.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.