Please help! Seasonal Allergies or Food Intolerance

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Ranger is our first EB, he is 9 months old and luckily he's been healthy. We have had a few "typical" EB issues, seasonal allergies, hip dysplasia scare (thankfully he doesn't have it) and one skin issue in December where he suddenly developed a small sore and his hair began to fall out in that spot. I immediately took him to our Vet. (I'm a crazy momma when it comes to my Ranger :w00t:) Our Vet said it was a contact allergy and we came to the conclusion he was rubbing under the Christmas tree. She gave him an antibiotic shot and started him taking Benadryl twice a day for seasonal allergies. It cleared up within a week and all has been well, until recently. About two months ago I switched his food from TOTW High Prairie Bison to THK Love. I made the switch after extensive research and deciding for us THK seemed like a better quality food. He's been fine until the last two weeks. He has developed the same exact spot as he did before but its in multiple places now, and he tries itching his back on EVERYTHING. I took him to the Vet last Monday and she again said it was a contact allergy and gave him an antibiotic shot and also started him on a new allergy shot called Cytopoint. My question is could this be food related and not an actual contact allergy? I've only recently changed his food so that wouldn't explain the episode in December but we also don't have our Christmas tree up now so that doesn't explain his current "breakout." Its been a week since taking him to the Vet and it doesn't seem to be any better. I just want to stay ahead of anything and I certainly don't want him to be unhealthy. Please help! Thank you.

IMG_6964.JPGIMG_6967.JPGFullSizeRender-3.jpg

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
He's adorable!! Just wondering if the area gets crusty before the hair falls out? Sadie has terrible allergies and would get Staph which resembles the spots in your pics. Did your vet test for that?

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Yes! It gets very crusty and the Vet didn't swab it. Just said it was a contact allergy. What would cause staph? And how can I fix it? Thank you so much for helping me!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, if the areas get crusty, and then falls off with a patch of hair - that is staph. The area will regrow luckily. It's just like allergies, it could be something in the food or it could be environmental. Usually also from low immune. Do you have him on probiotics? When Tyson was having outbreaks and they were getting bad, we ended up getting him on probiotics, switched his water to filtered, and added a fish oil supplement. It all cleared up after that but he'll still occasionally get one or two small ones from time to time.

Also, if he's breaking out bad now.... wash all his bedding/blankets/toys in super hot hot water. I also got the Lysol industrial and sprayed areas he was commonly in that I couldn't wash. Just to kill any active germs :) The good thing - its nothing serious just annoying more than anything.

PS - We also feed THK. But we do the base mix, (Kindly) and add in our own protien.

Last edited:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
you're probably covered for the skin infection (if he has one) from the antibiotic shot. I would try one of the honest kitchen limited ingredient diets like spruce or hope, or get the kindly base mix and add your own protein. Avoid beef since that's what's in the hk love that you were using. According to the mercola website it won't hurt to wipe him down with a wet washcloth from bowl with diluted povidone then wipe with a plain wet washcloth, then dry.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also, shampooing with malaseb or curaseb ( which contain chlorhexidine as antibacterial, and an antifungal ) would be helpful as well, which you can do instead of the povidone

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Oh my goodness, what a relief to know its nothing super serious. I will wash all of his things immediately! I don't have him on a probiotic. Would you mind telling me what I should use? I do already give him only filtered water but no fish oil supplment. Should I start giving that also? I cannot thank you enough for all of the advice. I thought I had done all of my research (9mths worth) before getting an EB. Boy, was I wrong! lol

Yes, if the areas get crusty, and then falls off with a patch of hair - that is staph. The area will regrow luckily. It's just like allergies, it could be something in the food or it could be environmental. Usually also from low immune. Do you have him on probiotics? When Tyson was having outbreaks and they were getting bad, we ended up getting him on probiotics, switched his water to filtered, and added a fish oil supplement. It all cleared up after that but he'll still occasionally get one or two small ones from time to time.

Also, if he's breaking out bad now.... wash all his bedding/blankets/toys in super hot hot water. I also got the Lysol industrial and sprayed areas he was commonly in that I couldn't wash. Just to kill any active germs :) The good thing - its nothing serious just annoying more than anything.

PS - We also feed THK. But we do the base mix, (Kindly) and add in our own protien.

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Thank you so much! I'm so grateful for the advice.

Also, shampooing with malaseb or curaseb ( which contain chlorhexidine as antibacterial, and an antifungal ) would be helpful as well, which you can do instead of the povidone

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think giving coconut oil rougly a teaspoonful a day will help skin as well

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my goodness, what a relief to know its nothing super serious. I will wash all of his things immediately! I don't have him on a probiotic. Would you mind telling me what I should use? I do already give him only filtered water but no fish oil supplment. Should I start giving that also? I cannot thank you enough for all of the advice. I thought I had done all of my research (9mths worth) before getting an EB. Boy, was I wrong! lol

We use this one. I swear by it.

3a4cace0a17776ec12cb6ea1fa15d378.jpg

Link: Herbsmith Microflora Plus Capsule for Pet Digestion, 120 Capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EUZ9LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2BU5ybH4XCBYS

Give the probiotic a shot first. See if you notice improvement with his skin. It does wonders for the belly as well, so many benefits. Give it daily like you would vitamins.

The fish oil we use is this one (try the probiotic first) as too not add too much at once :) these guys are sensitive.

ea8d43fa7b8ebf9013f699111319e6ef.jpg

Link: Omega Fatty Acids For Large & Giant Breed Dogs, 250 Capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QM6O7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8FU5ybDDEAFGD

Keep me posted on him! Also a good wipe down with sensitive baby wipes after being outside is great. We do it each time! Takes only a minute or less and removes any allergens, pollen, etc hanging around on them :)

Ps - we need pics of his beautiful face too, and what part of TX are ya in? We're right on the outskirts of Houston!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ranger777

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger
Just ordered both from Amazon and also ordered HK Spruce. I think he may be having a reaction to the beef. I have used Earthbath all-natural grooming wipes faithfully every since we brought him home (10 weeks old) anytime he goes outside. We live in a tiny little town in East Texas (Pittsburg) I think we are about 4 hours North of Houston. So nice to meet you! Your precious Tyson is just adorable! I'm honestly so grateful for your time and advice. It means so much to us!

IMG_6301.JPGIMG_6110.JPG

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just ordered both from Amazon and also ordered HK Spruce. I think he may be having a reaction to the beef. I have used Earthbath all-natural grooming wipes faithfully every since we brought him home (10 weeks old) anytime he goes outside. We live in a tiny little town in East Texas (Pittsburg) I think we are about 4 hours North of Houston. So nice to meet you! Your precious Tyson is just adorable! I'm honestly so grateful for your time and advice. It means so much to us!

View attachment 105122View attachment 105123

What a stud muffin! He is absolutely precious! Thank you for the pics :) and Tyson says thank you too.

Awesome!!!! Please keep me posted on him and if you see improvement! The probiotics are amazing and I'd recommend you keep giving those to him even after his staph clears up ;)

That's what we are here for! We've got such an amazing group on here - always someone ready to help the best we can for these bully babies of ours! Never heard of Pittsburg, but I'm not a native Texan either, we're going up to McKinney Saturday! Is that close to you?

Hope you have a great night!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking bully boy!

Sorry I'm late to the thread but the gang has given fantastic advice!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Will be a lot easier for you to give cetirizine instead of Benadryl for an antihistamine later on, since it's very small tablet, and can be given once a day,

Most Reactions