Help Needed! About snoring issues

Miegarukis

Apr 6, 2017
Country
Douglas
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi! I just wanna ask about snoring issues? Does your dog snores during night? Is there smth you can do about it? Does somebody use earplugs? :blush2: We want to buy one, but this is something scares us - snoring is a big problem for us. I usually waking up my husband to tell to stop snoring :eek: Earplugs can help? Love English Bulldog a lot, so it's NO!! for other dogs.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Mine very rarely snore. Just like people,some snore,some don't. Elongated soft palate or nares that are too narrow could also cause snoring.My poor husband,I couldn't stand it when he snored,but I love hearing a dog snore :)( if it's not for health reasons...)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mine very rarely snore. Just like people,some snore,some don't. Elongated soft palate or nares that are too narrow could also cause snoring.My poor husband,I couldn't stand it when he snored,but I love hearing a dog snore :)( if it's not for health reasons...)

Selective hearing Missy? Haha

Nyala sleeps in the living room so I don't hear her.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I personally don't believe that a bulldog is the breed for you if snoring is intolerable. I have had 5 bulldogs altogether now and every one of them snored. Even the ones that had elongated palate surgery. I'm sure there are probably exceptions but most bulldogs will snore. Ear plugs would work if you don't mind having them in your ears at night. bulldogs are somewhat loud in general with grunting and snorting etc. Other than surgery to help with airflow and ear plugs I think it's just something you accept when you own a bulldog.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I've had three beautiful EBDs and they All snored to varying degrees. Agreed that Bulldogs can be noisy in general. Snoring would be the least of the issues �� Just a thought..you could see about fostering one. Unfortunately, our Humane Society here usually has at least one because too many people get them without realizing the issues. Our Humane Society has fostering programs, perhaps yours would as well.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I get concerned if I don't hear snoring. The silence would wake me up and I would check to make sure they were still breathing.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Every once in awhile whopper will get into a position where he is completely silent and I'm like.... "what's wrong with whopper!"

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I call it bulldog white noise. As soon as he lays down he starts snoring but I'm pretty certain he's not really asleep yet.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Diva could RATTLE the windows
Tilly just shook the bed
Rosie is pretty good snores yes but not to bad
Think they all prettywell snore
Be happy it is not coming from the other end !

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I get concerned if I don't hear snoring. The silence would wake me up and I would check to make sure they were still breathing.

I agree! When Castor had soft palate surgery he went from being generally very loud to stealth mode and we found ourselves worrying and running round looking for him as we couldn't hear where he was. Now, a few years later, he's back to snoring (his breathing is still excellent, though) and I feel more relaxed. If his snoring is too loud, we just move him a bit and the snoring will stop.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yup, they all snore to some degree. The funny thing is that I can't sleep unless I hear it, just like other said. Its like a lullaby to me, and I don't hear him to some extent I get up to check on him. Its either a louder snore, or a low snore... I love it.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am another one that loves doggy snores. I find them soothing and completely different to human snoring which drives me INSANE. I use earplugs when my husband gets loud and digging him the ribs doesn't work, Monty's don't bother me at all. If snoring really bothers you though, I would certainly think twice about a bulldog or any other short nosed breed.

OP
M

Miegarukis

Apr 6, 2017
Country
Douglas
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks for all replies guys :) I know this is English Bulldog forum, but I asked the owner of 4 pugs (short nosed breed as well), she said if they are not overweight so they don't snore. Could it be true?

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
The snoring and grunting comes from the shape of the head, smushed face, nasal passages, narrow nostrils and small diameter throat/elongated palate. Overweight would contribute as well but fat or not they will still snore

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The snoring and grunting comes from the shape of the head, smushed face, nasal passages, narrow nostrils and small diameter throat/elongated palate. Overweight would contribute as well but fat or not they will still snore

^^^ This

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.