Thread: Eps recovery

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Whopper
    Likes (Received)

Default Eps recovery

Hello fellow bulldog lovers. It's been 10 days since whoppers EPS surgery. He's doing pretty good. I'm still feeding him mushy food and was wondering when you all think it would be OK to go back to feeding him his regular solid food? And also how much longer before he can start playing, going for walks and generally getting riled up again? Thanks for your help and wisdom.

Paul

2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Eps recovery

Just cause I'm a scardie cat,,, I waited for his vet visit (we had 14 days as he also had entropian and nares so had to get stitches out) and so vet could give the ok. And then I was scarred cause now he had laid low for so long that I was afraid of 'over do'... He went nutzo that very day and has been fine ever since. Did your vet give a time frame? and Hanks food is soft so that wasn't an issue, but I tell you though, one other cool thing about that surgery for him was, when I did/do give him kibble now for his noonday snack, he no longer choked on them! That made me super happy..

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Whopper
    Likes (Received)

The place he had his surgery at said no follow up appointment needed unless there was a problem. I called on Monday and the vet said whopper had one of the most elongated palates he had ever seen. He never gave a time frame on regular food and I forgot to ask. Whopper seems to be doing good and is breathing much better and drooling has subsided a lot. He does still hack up and gag every now and again. I'm assuming it's just still healing.

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

my paperwork said 4 days of soft food and 2 weeks of very low activity... I know one lady here lost her baby on the third day I think as she went barking and swelled it up.. Your way past that , but I would still be cautious... I know it's hard, but in the long run it should be worth it. Hank was a jerk by the 10th day, but I still made him go out on the leash as I just couldn't bear the thought. I will say too, that don't be disappointed if he doesn't seem perfect yet. It was still another week b4 I felt we had the full results. (meaning at least 3 weeks of healing)

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Whopper
    Likes (Received)

I think I will give the mushy food through the weekend and start back on his regular food on Monday. I feed him taste of the wild so it is very small nuggets but whopper doesn't understand the concept of chewing. He is definitely improved from before surgery but I think you are right that he needs more healing time because he still hacks and gags from time to time. I am considering nares surgery as well. I know it should have been done at the same time as EPS but I hadn't considered until it was too late. That and sometimes finances won't allow for everything at once.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help and advice.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@versicolor My dogs haven't had that surgery,but I would be cautious when starting him back on his reg. food. Stand with him,and give him small amounts at a time. Just to be certain he can handle it-sure don't want him to choke. It he has trouble,better go back to soft for a while longer.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by versicolor View Post
    I think I will give the mushy food through the weekend and start back on his regular food on Monday. I feed him taste of the wild so it is very small nuggets but whopper doesn't understand the concept of chewing. He is definitely improved from before surgery but I think you are right that he needs more healing time because he still hacks and gags from time to time. I am considering nares surgery as well. I know it should have been done at the same time as EPS but I hadn't considered until it was too late. That and sometimes finances won't allow for everything at once.

- - - Updated - - -

You could also feed elevated to help the food go down better. We feed Tyson elevated Its better on their joints too.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

I now/again feed elevated thanks to your advice to someone else just a bit back... I had always fed him that way and then have no idea why I stoped but we're back on it so thanks for that reminder
    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    You could also feed elevated to help the food go down better. We feed Tyson elevated Its better on their joints too.

12. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    I now/again feed elevated thanks to your advice to someone else just a bit back... I had always fed him that way and then have no idea why I stoped but we're back on it so thanks for that reminder
    You are most welcome Hugs to Hank!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

14. Likes Hankster liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by versicolor View Post

- - - Updated - - -

How is he doing? Gang has given great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Whopper
    Likes (Received)

Yes excellent advice and I appreciate it and thank all of you for the help. He is doing pretty good. Still some gagging from time to time. I really want him to have the nares surgery because he has some very pinched nostrils. But there is a very noticeable difference in his breathing. Much less drool, he doesnt get out of breath as quickly. I'm happy with the results so far.

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

oh good!! yes! I wish that the timing had been good to have both done at the same time (and actually probably cheaper) but it is what it is. I think that you will be amazed at the nares part as well.. Hank is mostly so quiet it's scarry. No more struggle to suck that air in.. I'm surprised that the vet didn't suggest, but again, it is what it is and you'll deal with it when its time.. Glad to hear things are improving And, everything with hank seemed all nice and fast but I was surprised that that 'gag' thing carried out for longer than I would have thought... None now though so your still looking good!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads