Skin problem?

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I've noticed that my dog Lola has little scab-like bumps on her skin. It's hard to get a good look at them and hard to keep track of where they are. It seems that when the scab falls off, it's leaves a little bald spot on her fur. I know it's not a great description, but I'm hoping someone may have seen this before, and can offer up something I could try before I ultimately take her to the vet.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
How old is she and what kind of food do you feed her? Scabs on the skin is pretty serious- does she itch? Could be allergies, food allergies, fleas, or mange to name a few. How many scabs does she have? You don't want to wait too long before seeking veteranry help, because it could be a skin infection....

OP
sowdie

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
She is almost 3 years old. Within the past 6 months or so, we swtiched her over to Science Diet Sensitive Skin, hoping that it would cut down on her face itching, which it did not. I'd say there is are about 5 or so scabs. They don't appear to be itchy or painful. Like I mentioned before, it seems as though they leave little bald spots when they go away.

OP
sowdie

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I just read the ingredient for the Science Diet we've been using, and they include corn....should I be switching?

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    531.4 KB · Views: 109

Jenni0109

Apr 30, 2010
Lithia, Fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
Sounds like a secondary skin infection from an allergic reaction. Tilly would break out in hive and some spots would scab up and leave a bald spot. She would have to be put on the cirpoflaxacin or cephalexin to clear it up. I finally switched her food to a "limited ingredient" diet made by Natural Balance and have had great success with no hives or anything!

NASTYNATI

May 26, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Wimbley
My Bully had what appears to be similar issue numerous times. I noticed it most often whenever she would get excited or hot. It looked like she would have little bumps on her back, they would turn to scabs and fall out with hair attached. My vet said it was some sort of Staph infection... We treated with antibiotics and it has never come back... I would suggest consulting with your vet, take pictures when you notice the flare up if any (this it what i did because I couldnt pin point when the bumps would occur). Best of luck!

Attachments

• 76E70A7C-F019-46AD-A93D-B5B4EBFD6621.jpeg
    76E70A7C-F019-46AD-A93D-B5B4EBFD6621.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 121
OP
sowdie

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks for your help everyone!

Corinne0022

May 14, 2010
OK--I have the SAME EXACT problem with my EB--I'm doing a foster to adopt program and the rescue gave me Cephalexin and its not doing a thing!!! She's on Canidae food and I buy her grain free treats just like they said. She told me to try Benadryl and if that doesn't help she will make an appointment for me to take her to their vet for a re-check :(

OP
sowdie

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Update on Lola and her skin problem.
The mixture of Cephalexin and Prednizone worked like a dream. By the time she was off of the Cephalexin, her scabs were gone and her hair had grown back. Her face cleared up and she looked like a completely different dog. It's amazing how swollen and irritated her face was. I couldnt fully realize it until it was healed and she had her puppy face back.
And now she is off of all medications and we're heading back to Allergyville. She's started to scratch and get red and irritated all over her face. I feel so bad for her now. There was a noticeable difference in her appearance and her personality. I'm starting to believe that it's not a food allergy.
I'm not sure where to go from here.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
WOW spike had this same problem as well...he was on cephalexin and it cleared up but as soon as the cephelaxin was gone it came back we took him back to the vet and he prescribed him something else.. we changed his food from purina puppy chow to royal canin and it has worked miracles... he no longer has scabs and his coat is beautiful again..his eyes are not ALWAYS red like they use to...i changed all his treats to all natural stuff...i really think it was the food and corn in it. good luck hope ur eb gets better soon :)

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
I would say to definetly switch her food, Horse had this same problem all the time, and the food almost completely sloved it, he still gets them every once in awhile from stress, or outside allergies, but I think the food we were feeding him was the main problem!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear it is improving. You can also get an allergy work up, it is costly but worth it. It can take a year (and a lot of patience and love on your part) to get a bully with allergies to a "happy place".
Keep sharing your stories and what you try, (please :)) ..... what works and what doesn't, because this topic will always be here and maybe your story can help someone else in the future :)

OP
sowdie

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I have switched her food to Natural Balance Potato & Duck. She's been off of Science Diet for well over a month at this point and the food switch does not seem to be making a difference. I'm not sure how long it takes, but I had expected to see at least some progress by now.
The vet says that our next step should we choose to do it, is to get her tested and to go on allergy shots. Not what I wanted to hear. I'm hoping we can get this under control without going down that road.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
With the allergy work up you will find out what your baby is allergic to, and giving shots may not be necessary if you find only a few problems in the work up that can be life altered, such as food allergies. Other allergies such as grass, trees, ect will be more difficult. Sometimes the dog does not take the shot well either.

If she has been on that food for a month it is definately time to try something else that has different ingredients, and keep a record of each food you try with all ingredients listed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online